On 1/13/2022 at 7:23 PM, GMoney2312 said:

Boom! Here it is!

And I still think its December!🤣

Id  have gone with the now  almost normal GALVANISED  steel

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rain said:

Yes. Normal [whatever that is]. 

Coming along nicely, GM!!😘

Thats whats  mostly  sold now  in the construction  stores, they are shying  away from the paint it  yourself  steel and its  only slightly more expensive. The  normal steel  has  so  much  oil  on it removing it correctly is a major task that Thais rarely do well and  impossible in box  section steel

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 11:41 AM, AussieBob said:

Mate - I do not mean to jump in here and give advice about something I do not know.  But - I know of a guy who built his own house in Thailand, and he had a ton of problems with the builder and suppliers not providing things 'to spec'. What I suggest you always do, is tell the builder and suppliers that you want a sample of all main components, before you will give him the go ahead to use it.  Even then, he would 'supervise' every day - because things would be delivered to the site, that were not the same as the sample. Constant verification and vigilance is my advice. He even resorted to sourcing components directly himself - usually delivered from Bangkok (avoiding the locals who are used to getting away with supplying the cheaper stuff on orders).  

Well thats the key right there. Specify Source Buy Everything Yourself with Zero Builder Input. Even Concrete & Steel. Architect perhaps ….Builder  basic Construction Only. Then you still have problem of Build Workmanship…intensive Inspection required. Strict Quality / Schedule / Payment Control.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

I know! I am such a Rebel!🤣

Monday tomorrow Greg, you going to try the drone out flying to your new house?

Alternatively, you could get yourself a Jetpack...

flying animation domination GIF

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Alternatively, you could get yourself a Jetpack...

flying animation domination GIF

It's The Jetsons.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Funny you should ask- we are getting our well dug tomorrow, so will have some drone chances!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Funny you should ask- we are getting our well dug tomorrow, so will have some drone chances!

Just how well dug will it be?
I hope you're not planning to fly the drone down the well unless it's wearing a life-jacket?

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2022 at 7:23 PM, GMoney2312 said:

Boom! Here it is!

And I still think its December!🤣

It all looks nice, but something I learned after building several new classrooms onto my school is going with galvanised steel. The raw steel even after a primer applied will start rusting in a very short time.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

I will have the full video tomorrow!

Can you dig it?

The well.jpg

I installed my well and tank as we do in the states. I run a pressurized system with a stainless steel tank (200 liters). The people who installed my system on my directions couldn't understand why I wasn't pumping into a holding tank.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

It all looks nice, but something I learned after building several new classrooms onto my school is going with galvanised steel. The raw steel even after a primer applied will start rusting in a very short time.

Would that have been in a cooler climate, or within 10 km's of a coastline by any chance?

In Thailand, the dry heat/low humidity of inland provinces should ensure no corrosion.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Would that have been in a cooler climate, or within 10 km's of a coastline by any chance?

In Thailand, the dry heat/low humidity of inland provinces should ensure no corrosion.

Captain Rob I was always thought, and the web has verified this that Thailand has very high humidity.

I actually built a roof onto the outside of the house and one of the very first sections that I put up I used 3" X 3" box section as pillars and within 2 years of it being up it started to rot. My wife first noticed it and sure enough I got my welding slag hammer and it went straight through it, luckely she saw it and I plated it up. So either the steel they use here is substandard or it is the humidity that causes the problems.

I did finish the rest of the house using galvanized steel and touch wood all seems to be holding up so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

No, I'm Khon Kaen area. Everything I build prior to using galvanised has started rusting within 4 years. That rusted steel was painted with 2 coats of primer prior to installation. The galvanised steel is only a few dollars more and with having to paint only the welded areas are free of any rust in 5 years since they were installed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I was always thought, and the web has verified this that Thailand has very high humidity.

It does, in coastal areas, eg Phuket Hua Hin and everywhere during wet season, but inland humidity burns off very fast once the sun rises as ambient temperatures are high compared with say, UK and northern Europe where humidity and condensation can leave a roof space quite damp.

I doubt we'd ever see our roof space fall much below 20c even now, in the north, and humidity is currently 65%.  That's low for an overcast evening following rain.  During much of the dry part of the year we see inland humidity fall to ~30 or 40% and roof space temps remain at ~ 27c through much of the night.

Outdoor exposed mild steel can also be affected by salt air from a salt pool and moisture can easily permeate the typical matt paint finishes which are used by fabricators (to hide welding/grinding imperfections).  Zinc plating or galvanising is not always available to fabricated sections so I've used epoxy paint and/or powder coating for protection.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2022 at 4:16 AM, GMoney2312 said:

Oh yeah!! Should be looking forward to that....

Keeps us occupied and distracted. 

Cheers.

30 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It does, in coastal areas, eg Phuket Hua Hin and everywhere during wet season, but inland humidity burns off very fast once the sun rises as ambient temperatures are high compared with say, UK and northern Europe where humidity and condensation can leave a roof space quite damp.

I doubt we'd ever see our roof space fall much below 20c even now, in the north, and humidity is currently 65%.  That's low for an overcast evening following rain.  During much of the dry part of the year we see inland humidity fall to ~30 or 40% and roof space temps remain at ~ 27c through much of the night.

Outdoor exposed mild steel can also be affected by salt air from a salt pool and moisture can easily permeate the typical matt paint finishes which are used by fabricators (to hide welding/grinding imperfections).  Zinc plating or galvanising is not always available to fabricated sections so I've used epoxy paint and/or powder coating for protection.

Practical commentary and advice. Every little thing helps.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I once played golf north of Tak at the Bhumipol Dam reservoir and I kid you not that the humidity was at 100%, I just about made it to the third hole before feeling unwell.

But just recently I decided to buy an air cooler, I believe that the Australians and Americans refer to them as Swamp Coolers and I did quite a bit of reading up on them and the general concensus was not to bother if you live in Thailand as it can cause a lot of damp and bacterial growth on the walls due to the high humidity, whereas places like Australia does have a dry climate and the coolers are a very successful way to cool the house. Thailand is classified as a tropical climate, there might be places worse than others, but generally it is humis and here is a link to the Thaiger that explains what to do to avoid this humidity. 

https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-10/top-10-ways-to-cope-with-the-humidity-in-thailand

• Thanks 2