US official says no conditions attached to 2.5 million vaccines donated to Thailand

Thaiger

28 minutes ago, MikeTexas said:

Shouldn't be annoying to Americans at all.  How the Thai decide to utilize their vaccines is up to them.  It SHOULD, however, be annoying to the Thai as the distribution among their people is so wealth centric.  Americans living overseas have made a choice to live in a country with different rules, laws, and customs.  While they can look to their home government for some guidance and assistance they should never expect the exact same benefits and help they would receive back in the USA.  When you move to a foreign country there are benefits and detriments - not just benefits.  

Talk about missing the point. Americans are (criminally) double taxed, even Americans abroad PAID FOR these gifted vaccines with THEIR OWN money. Local laws, customs have absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Thais, by any shred of decency, have an obligation to give these vaccines to Americans living here. And I am not even an American. FFS learn a basic rule in life: quid pro quo.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

So effectively this will now be 1.5 + 2.5 million doses (4 million) that will more than likely not reach any American or the family directly as they should on this soil.  

As to who should get these Pfizer jabs is something I will leave to the cynics on this thread to debate ...

But as to who has received a jab from US donated supply I can say I know of some Americans (all over age 60) who received their first Pfizer jab in Bangkok today.

I caution everyone who is not yet a cynic to take the cynics rants with a certain amount of salt.

Edited by oldcpu

25 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

As to who should get these Pfizer jabs is something I will leave to the cynics on this thread to debate ...

But as to who has received a jab from US donated supply I can say I know of some Americans (all over age 60) who received their first Pfizer jab in Bangkok today.

I caution everyone who is not yet a cynic to take the cynics rants with a certain amount of salt.

I have my own opinions. And plainly if the USA can give 4 million then they could certainly allocate 150,000 of that to vaccinate the US folk and their Thai families. Hell, we would even pay for it as that is not a big deal. It the principle of the matter not the cynical point. Anyway, me and my family can wait. My kids are also USA citizens. Actually for me I am not too worried. I am 99.9% sure I had the first bout late February 2020 and it wasn’t that bad at all, so just hope we all don’t get the delta and if we do hope it is water off a ducks back.

I am happy to hear that the over 60 Americans got a shot. But that is not the point. 

18 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Anyway, me and my family can wait. My kids are also USA citizens. Actually for me I am not too worried. I am 99.9% sure I had the first bout late February 2020 and it wasn’t that bad at all, so just hope we all don’t get the delta and if we do hope it is water off a ducks back.

Jeeze, when I first read this, I thought 'hell-fire, HCC's doing bloody well at 99' and then I saw the .9% . . Huh!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I have my own opinions. And plainly if the USA can give 4 million then they could certainly allocate 150,000 of that to vaccinate the US folk and their Thai families.

I suspect most would agree with you.  Count me in that number that would agree.

I do thou think it important to mention the over age-60 foreigners could get Pfizer in Thailand, IF they were not already vaccinated and if they can manage the travel to Bangkok and then back (to their Thailand living location), as I suspect there could be some who will axe grind and never mention there was such an open opportunity.

I note China donated a lot of Sinovac to Thailand, and I think in one of the Chinese donation batches, they stipulated that Chinese in Thailand were to be vaccinated on a priority basis.   I note the French provided J&J to those French citizens in Thailand over a certain age, and recently have offered J&J to all French citizens (regardless of age) and further note they plan to provide mRNA based vaccine to French citizens in Thailand.

I think Japan also donated AstraZeneca with no stipulations (other than to use it up fast as it was possibly close to expiry).

However there is IMHO far too much politics involved with the vaccine application and vaccine donation.

I think if the US had donated Pfizer vaccines to Thailand, with the stipulation that they be used first for US citizens (and then their dependents) living in Thailand and only anything left over going to local Thai citizens it would be seen by the 'politicians' as poor public relations.  There would be a big concern by many of an anti-USA backlash.

That is not my view - I see nothing wrong with saying (which they didn't say) 0.5-million of a 4.5 million donation is to be be provided to all US citizens in Thailand .... but I also note that is very easy for me, as a non-USA citizen, to say with me sitting in the peanut gallery. 

I'm neither French, nor Chinese, nor Japanese, nor American, so none of such country provided donations applies to me. I'm over age-60, income not dependent on tourism, and lucky to be in Phuket and have received my first AZ back in June.  Its not an mRNA, but I will take what I can get.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I suspect most would agree with you.  Count me in that number that would agree.

I do thou think it important to mention the over age-60 foreigners could get Pfizer in Thailand, IF they were not already vaccinated and if they can manage the travel to Bangkok and then back (to their Thailand living location), as I suspect there could be some who will axe grind and never mention there was such an open opportunity.

I note China donated a lot of Sinovac to Thailand, and I think in one of the Chinese donation batches, they stipulated that Chinese in Thailand were to be vaccinated on a priority basis.   I note the French provided J&J to those French citizens in Thailand over a certain age, and recently have offered J&J to all French citizens (regardless of age) and further note they plan to provide mRNA based vaccine to French citizens in Thailand.

I think Japan also donated AstraZeneca with no stipulations (other than to use it up fast as it was possibly close to expiry).

However there is IMHO far too much politics involved with the vaccine application and vaccine donation.

I think if the US had donated Pfizer vaccines to Thailand, with the stipulation that they be used first for US citizens (and then their dependents) living in Thailand and only anything left over going to local Thai citizens it would be seen by the 'politicians' as poor public relations.  There would be a big concern by many of an anti-USA backlash.

That is not my view - I see nothing wrong with saying 0.5-million of a 4.5 million donation is to be be provided to all US citizens in Thailand .... but I also note that is very easy for me, as a non-USA citizen, to say with me sitting in the peanut gallery. 

I'm neither French, nor Chinese, nor American, so none of such country provided donations applies to me. I'm over age-60, income not dependent on tourism, and lucky to be in Phuket and have received my first AZ back in June.  Its not an mRNA, but I will take what I can get.

Yeah, as far as that goes it could have been 4million donated and we are sending an extra 150,000 for the citizens, and they could have sent an additional 350,000 to be divided up at the British, Australian and 10-15 other embassies who are close friends and allies. USA has an embassy and a consulate in CM. I don’t know but that would be as least diplomatIc neutral sort of  way to offer it that way. Any of the such me and the family will wait. CM is still doing quite ok and  let’s hope there is a next donation but by a massive joined effort of countries. 
cheers. 

8 hours ago, Thomazz59 said:

America caused the problem??? The origin of the current problem across the globe is fricking China and their CVOID-19 Bio-weapon..

Yup ,the gift that keeps on giving! 

8 hours ago, vlad said:

Its no good blaming anyone the main thing is to work at the problem and resolve it not throwing petrol onto the fire.

Sorry ! That bird won't fly ! Why you ask? Because if there is no blame how in the lleh is someone gonna be held responsible! Rumor has it it came from Wuhan! The world should be screaming for a investigation to   protect against  another virus !

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s hard to disagree with this @vlad. You have to wonder exactly what is the plan or do they even have a plan. Despite the no strings attached comment, it’s obvious this is vaccine diplomacy. Why else would you give away vaccine in an apparent random fashion? 

All that said, I find it utterly bemusing. If it is for diplomatic reasons then a few million doses is hardly going to win over the Thai government in favour of the Chinese. If it was the first delivery of a sustained supply with a plan to fully vaccinate Thailand then fine.  If it’s not for diplomatic reasons then why the hell would you randomly pick Thailand to hand out a couple of million doses?  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either way I view it. I’m sure there is a master plan somewhere but I can’t see it. Maybe others have better ideas that hold up? 

There's nothing free in this world Soidog there are Country's that have not even had a vaccine there so poor. Thailand has enough money to purchase millions of vaccines but they will go bowl in hand. Poor Country's should be given donated vaccines who are desperate,

50 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Fort Detrick is in Maryland, I believe.

The whole world  is pointing their finger on a map and judging by news reports it ain't Maryland

Sounds like your misinformed or the CCP propaganda machine has won you over !  Fortunately the CCP  conspiracy theory  hasn't changed many people's minds ! You should ask yourself,self, why isn't the whole  world talking about Maryland !

Conspiracy theories  ! I'll even use the most trusted news source 555

"According to a CNN investigation, growing scrutiny of the lab in early 2020, along with criticism of China's initial handling of the pandemic, appears to have prompted the Communist Party's propaganda organs to adopt the Fort Detrick conspiracy as a potential counter, a disinformation mirror to deflect criticism both legitimate and groundless.

And as attention returned to Wuhan at the start of this year, promotion of this conspiracy has redoubled, with a web of official government accounts, influencers, and state media spreading this disinformation to tens of millions of user online".

Edited by riclag

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

The whole world  is pointing their finger on a map and judging by news reports it ain't Maryland

Sounds like your misinformed or the CCP propaganda machine has won you over !  Fortunately the CCP  conspiracy theory  hasn't changed many people's minds ! You should ask yourself,self, why isn't the whole  world talking about Maryland !

Conspiracy theories  ! I'll even use the most trusted news source 555

"According to a CNN investigation, growing scrutiny of the lab in early 2020, along with criticism of China's initial handling of the pandemic, appears to have prompted the Communist Party's propaganda organs to adopt the Fort Detrick conspiracy as a potential counter, a disinformation mirror to deflect criticism both legitimate and groundless.

And as attention returned to Wuhan at the start of this year, promotion of this conspiracy has redoubled, with a web of official government accounts, influencers, and state media spreading this disinformation to tens of millions of user online".

A certain part of the map is pointing a finger. As Pompeo said, 'we lied, we cheated, and we stole. We even had training courses.' Not media, the actual person who did it.

CNN. ? 

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s hard to disagree with this @vlad. You have to wonder exactly what is the plan or do they even have a plan. Despite the no strings attached comment, it’s obvious this is vaccine diplomacy. Why else would you give away vaccine in an apparent random fashion? 

All that said, I find it utterly bemusing. If it is for diplomatic reasons then a few million doses is hardly going to win over the Thai government in favour of the Chinese. If it was the first delivery of a sustained supply with a plan to fully vaccinate Thailand then fine.  If it’s not for diplomatic reasons then why the hell would you randomly pick Thailand to hand out a couple of million doses?  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either way I view it. I’m sure there is a master plan somewhere but I can’t see it. Maybe others have better ideas that hold up? 

Given the diversity of countries to which the US has donated 110 million vaccines, (65 in all), including countries with whom the US has "tenuous" relations, I'm guessing the reason is neither diplomatic nor random. Just possibly the US is trying to be equitable.

donated-covid.webp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

A certain part of the map is pointing a finger. As Pompeo said, 'we lied, we cheated, and we stole. We even had training courses.' Not media, the actual person who did it.

CNN. ? 

Congratulations u just joined a exclusive spot on the ignore feature !

Edited by riclag

6 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

Shouldn't be annoying to Americans at all.  How the Thai decide to utilize their vaccines is up to them.  

Exactly and the way it should be. The Thai people will remember the US gave vaccines with no strings attached. There is value in that alone. 

10 hours ago, Poolie said:

Exactly. An attention grabber with accompanying slogan. Vomit inducing.

You mean except for the fact Thailand just joined Covax and isn’t eligible for vaccines from them until next year. I remember a lot of fan fair, news stories and media attention when China donated 500K doses. Never mind the fact those vaccines are crap or it came with the requirement half of them go to Chinese nationals. Yeah that was so much better. 

3 hours ago, vlad said:

There's nothing free in this world Soidog there are Country's that have not even had a vaccine there so poor. Thailand has enough money to purchase millions of vaccines but they will go bowl in hand. Poor Country's should be given donated vaccines who are desperate,

Yes I agree with that. I really don’t know what the problem has been with Thailand and it’s vaccine procurement strategy????

10 hours ago, King Cotton said:

. . . Please!

"Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied" 

Otto Von Bismark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One should remember, the Phizer donated by USA is the preferred vaccine in America as well as the rest of the world. Just thinking back. That the Thai government will not allow the vaccine to go to general population. BP wrote a story 3 weeks ago, the government will vaccinate its military as front line workers using donated Phizer vaccine from USA. Anutin even grand stranded that blurp. 

The Elite and Hi-So's wil be given the Phizer before they will except nothing less and the working poor, general public will get Chines Poison Sinovac. 

Only goes to show you, the world looks after it mighty and rich, while the poor pass away in the sunset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, riclag said:

Congratulations u just joined a exclusive spot on the ignore feature !

Hurray! The truth does hurt, like. I hope you recover quicker than America does. No more exclamation marks!

I would like to respond to Ms. Thomas-Greenfields comments that “there were no strings attached to the donation of 2.5m doses of vaccines to Thailand.”  I surely hope that this is not an indicator of the capability of the new US administration’s ability to negotiate international affairs since this one was a complete failure.  It is completely unconscionable that the US government would negotiate the donation of 2.5m doses of vaccine to Thailand or any other country without ensuring that US citizens living in Thailand would be prioritized in the delivery of the vaccines.  Not only were US citizens not prioritized, they were not even considered!!  A kindergartener could have negotiated a better deal.   Why wasn’t this done?  Could it be they don’t feel the Thais can administer the vaccines.  If that is the case, then they shouldn’t have been given any in the first place.  The Thais claim to be capable of deploying two submarines and to be going into space in a few years so that must not be it.  As of the 2010 census there were 40,000 US citizens living in Thailand.  If we round that up to 50,000 for 2021 that leaves 2,400,000 doses left for the Thais after caring for US citizens, plus the 5m dollars.  There is enough to go around so that’s not it.  Apparently, the US government must just not care about its citizens in Thailand.  Citizens who still pay US taxes and who’s taxes helped pay for the vaccines!!  I bet the US government won’t forget about us when tax season comes!!   Are you kidding me??!!  Ms. Tjhomas-Greenfield brags that “Providing vaccines to other nations, our objective is singly to save lives.”  What about the lives of US citizens in Thailand Ms. Thomas-Greenfield?  Do we not count?  And American politicians wonder why voters are disenfranchised.  I guess we have quickly moved to America Last.  It is not surprising since anyone who has gone to the US Embassy website to find assistance about the pandemic would be hard pressed to even learn there was a pandemic!  No help whatsoever.  The US Embassy website says, “The United States Government has no higher responsibility than to serve and protect its citizens, including those who reside or are temporarily abroad.”  Yeah buddy.  Just have a look at the lines of people getting the vaccines in Bangkok to see how dedicated they are.  Probably more Chinese got vaccines than Americans.  As the person responsible for the Embassy, the US Ambassador to Thailand should immediately apologize to the United States citizens living in Thailand who he is supposed to serve that were so blatantly mistreated in this process.  He should vow to do everything possible to fix the problem immediately!!  If not, he should resign or be terminated immediately for failure to properly fulfil their mission of protecting the US citizens in Thailand.  If any US citizen living in Thailand wants a vaccine and can’t get it then dies, their blood is on your hands. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, Buttaxe said:

Talk about missing the point. Americans are (criminally) double taxed, even Americans abroad PAID FOR these gifted vaccines with THEIR OWN money. Local laws, customs have absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Thais, by any shred of decency, have an obligation to give these vaccines to Americans living here. And I am not even an American. FFS learn a basic rule in life: quid pro quo.

Double taxed? One is easy enough to circumvent, two is twice as easy. Don't be a volunteer. ?