Food shortages beginning as Covid-19 limits production

Thaiger

About a year ago when the pandemic first kick off I noticed the rice, eggs and canned fish stock got cleaned out very quickly in my local Makro and BigC, but only for a day or so, after which stock stabilised and recovered. Certainly nothing like what we've seen happen overseas. 

From then up to the present it's been fairly normal, though this last week I noticed pasta sauce running low. Plenty of pasta mind, just very little pasta sauce. And that doesn't seem to have recovered yet either, stocks are still very low in my local Makro and BigC.

Keeping an eye on the rice and eggs, so far so good, stocks seem normal.

Let's see what this week brings. Could this be the start of a panic run on the shops?

Edited by NumbNut
  • Like 2

Stop routinely testing... problem will be solved. As we all know, a very small percentage of people develop symptoms or get sick. Provide workplace barriers, require masking, require social distancing when possible and only test personnel if they report ill or with symptoms. If you do aggressive testing, then find a lab that will reduce the cycle threshold to <25 cycles to reduce the amount of false positives. Over testing is what is creating the crisis, not an actual disease that is killing everyone. 

1168357635984695296.jpg

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 4

we have just over 50 chickens, which produce maybe 40 eggs/day. kept an eye on supply lines worldwide. saw that for instance the soy supply is going to be affected in the near future as there are crop failures and shipping problems. Thailand has almost no soy crops and all pig and chicken food is prepared with soy for protein content. To counter this I've increased my feedstock but there is a limit to what you can do. Also the cost of this feed has increased 10% over the last year while the sale price of eggs is not allowed by government to increase.

Started with growing moringa and looking now into amaranth & water-hyacinth. Maybe cp, who makes most of the feeds in Thailand can start using those water-hyacinth which clog up all the local streams. 

• Like 3

I'm currently in quarantine in Bangkok and ordered food from Tops for delivery to the hotel the other day. I had to resubmit my order 5 times because some items already in my cart were out of stock by the time I got to the pay window. Once I paid, I had to wait a day for delivery. I tried to order some more stuff from Tops yesterday and there is now a minimum 5 day wait for delivery. It seems a lot of people are staying home and ordering groceries online.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Stop routinely testing... problem will be solved. As we all know, a very small percentage of people develop symptoms or get sick. Provide workplace barriers, require masking, require social distancing when possible and only test personnel if they report ill or with symptoms. Over testing is what is creating the crisis, not an actual disease that is killing everyone. 

1168357635984695296.jpg

That meme is from one of my favourite Chris Farley skits, he's a 'youth mentor' but lives in his van by the river. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

As Covid-19 outbreaks shut down factories and food processing plants and pull infected workers off the job, Thailand now faces the possibility of food supply shortages. Markets and supermarkets are beginning to see reductions in available stock after nearly 100 food processing plants across the country have been closed or partially closed with production capacity reduced. Some markets are closing because of a lack of supply of foods to sell. In other public markets, many stalls have closed and ones that remain open often run out of stock, unable to cater to all their customers’ demands. Food suppliers with shortages […]

The post Food shortages beginning as Covid-19 limits production appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This has the potential to cause more problems than Covid itself, now is the time for government to step up. People require basic commodities to be secure,, water, rice, pork, chicken, beef, fish, vegetables and gas for cooking... There is already unrest but its the younger generation Mostly who want greater freedom as they see it(that is different issues),, If foodstuff becomes unavailable then unrest will spread to the normally content population.  No I don't have all the answers before you barate me but I can see the potential for chaos.. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jannot said:

This has the potential to cause more problems than Covid itself, now is the time for government to step up. People require basic commodities to be secure,, water, rice, pork, chicken, beef, fish, vegetables and gas for cooking... There is already unrest but its the younger generation Mostly who want greater freedom as they see it(that is different issues),, If foodstuff becomes unavailable then unrest will spread to the normally content population.  No I don't have all the answers before you barate me but I can see the potential for chaos.. 

In my eyes, Jannot, and barely gone 10 a.m., a contender for post of the day.

As for your 'now is the time for government to step up', there could not be any truer words. Problem is of course that such positive action would require a 'real' as opposed to a 'pretend' government and your mentioned unrest spreading to the normally content population is indeed a worrying prospect.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RWD said:

A couple weeks ago I recognised this situation was looming and exampled by 7.11 empty shelves and lower volumes of processed meals/fresh produce.   Left BKK 5 days ago.

So less crisps for everyone!

The big Tescos near me aren't affected at all, infact when the latest lockdown was announced I thought we had better get a few things and the hypermarket was eerily quiet ! 

Time to start a bum gun debate ?

2 hours ago, Zool said:

I'm currently in quarantine in Bangkok and ordered food from Tops for delivery to the hotel the other day. I had to resubmit my order 5 times because some items already in my cart were out of stock by the time I got to the pay window. Once I paid, I had to wait a day for delivery. I tried to order some more stuff from Tops yesterday and there is now a minimum 5 day wait for delivery. It seems a lot of people are staying home and ordering groceries online.

You didn't fancy the sandbox ? 

I'm going to have to make that decision next week and I think it has to be Phuket. 2 weeks in a hotel room would tip me over the edge! I would be forever searching for rope ladders on Lazada. Are you allowed a beer in your room ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

In my eyes, Jannot, and barely gone 10 a.m., a contender for post of the day.

As for your 'now is the time for government to step up', there could not be any truer words. Problem is of course that such positive action would require a 'real' as opposed to a 'pretend' government and your mentioned unrest spreading to the normally content population is indeed a worrying prospect.

Agree, there's a lot of economic hardship out there that will turn into direct action if no relief is forthcoming. The grown-ups are going to have to step up to the plate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NumbNut said:

About a year ago when the pandemic first kick off I noticed the rice, eggs and canned fish stock got cleaned out very quickly in my local Makro and BigC, but only for a day or so, after which stock stabilised and recovered. Certainly nothing like what we've seen happen overseas. 

From then up to the present it's been fairly normal, though this last week I noticed pasta sauce running low. Plenty of pasta mind, just very little pasta sauce. And that doesn't seem to have recovered yet either, stocks are still very low in my local Makro and BigC.

Keeping an eye on the rice and eggs, so far so good, stocks seem normal.

Let's see what this week brings. Could this be the start of a panic run on the shops?

In CM you can see some items in some stores out, so I as well am keeping an eye out. No pasta sauce you might switch to a pesto to get you through, or if have tomatoes make you own, or also can easily make it using a canned tomato paste.

CM had an outbreak in the bread factory, but that has finally recovered and we have bread again, and now it is at an egg plant so we need to see how that plays out. Prices are up but for us nothing to worry about so much. At least we still have many open air markets and a bunch of different stores to go to.

• Like 1

here in Hua Hin no change for the Farang type groceries I eat. Caviar, Foie Gras, Wagyu Beef, Iberico Ham, Ayam Cemani Chicken, Yubari King Melons.

higher end grocery stores like Villa and Gourmet Market all normal.

but at Thai markets like G Mart or Lotus I did see some empty shelves and people with some sort of instant noodles.      

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

here in Hua Hin no change for the Farang type groceries I eat. Caviar, Foie Gras, Wagyu Beef, Iberico Ham, Ayam Cemani Chicken, Yubari King Melons.

but at Thai markets like G Mart or Lotus I did see some empty shelves and people with some sort of instant noodles.      

Then that must have been the Niu-Ba-Ba noodles they were snapping up before all sold out

https://nextshark.com/niu-ba-ba-taipei-most-expensive-beef-noodles/

17 hours ago, NumbNut said:

I see pasta sauce is a bit low in the local Makro and BigC, but pasta sauce  and pasta too for that matter is not that popular with the locals is it?

Most Thais I know love Spaghetti, kids love it and adults hoe in too. Maybe it's my good cooking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Caviar, Foi Gras, Wagyu etc. You live well, can I drop over for meal or two or three or four, stuff it can I move in.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, palooka said:

Most Thais I know love Spaghetti, kids love it and adults hoe in too. Maybe it's my good cooking!

Yes you're right, spaghetti is very popular. Still, strange that the shelves are groaning with of all types of pasta including spaghetti, but the various pasta sauce varieties are running out?

Just got back from a trip to the local Makro and I can confirm the pasta sauce situation is critical! Everything else looks okay though, plenty of rice, eggs, instant noodles, etc.

Edited by NumbNut
  • Like 1

Just now, NumbNut said:

Yes you're right, spaghetti is very popular. Still, strange that the shelves are groaning with of all types of pasta including spaghetti, but the various pasta sauce varieties are running out?

Just got back from a trip to the local Makro and I can confirm the pasta sauce situation is critical!

This is most distressing. I use spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce for cooking many things.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

How's the pasta sauce situation in Hua Hin. I'm in Cha-am so a quick trip down should be no worries

3 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

This is most distressing. I use spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce for cooking many things.

Same here, I eat it most nights actually

Just now, NumbNut said:

Tomatoes in my local Makro and BigC are pretty poor to be honest

I frequently by tomatoes in bulk from Tesco. I usually by 2 kg at a time. Now I can't by any