News Forum - Thai man and foreigner clash over water splash dispute (video)

Thaiger

Just now, PhuketBloke said:

That is far too long, now I understand why you don't like it.👍

As an Expat it stops me going about my normal daily business. 

This year has seen very little control of festivities. 

7 minutes ago, 23RD said:

As an Expat it stops me going about my normal daily business. 

This year has seen very little control of festivities. 

Yep, that could be a problem.

All my 'work' is done in the house here on my computer, which is why I can reply so quickly as I am writing software code for about eight hours a day I get a ping when a new email arrives, it is good to take a minute or two break.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

My partner is on the way there now, gone for ten to fourteen days,  I just dropped her at her sister's house in Phuket and the whole family is going, she can go whenever she wishes as we are not joined at the hip. 😀

It depends on the village, in this one, there is nothing at all to do plus I have a very bad reaction to mosquito bites, they understand why I stay here, they want to see the sisters/daughters and they are not bothered if I go or not.

I think you Americans would call it a one-horse town, except there is not even a horse in this one. 😀

Plus no one in the village speaks English, they all speak Southern Thai, completely different from standard Thai so I am just in the way at family meetings as they all want to speak to each other in the local natural language. 

There is one guy who speaks English, he is a German who is married to my partner's sister and they live next door to the mum, they built a house with a twelve-foot solid wall (with a small sliding gate) all around the house and so on the previous times I was there I hardly ever saw him.

I just feel a lot of farangs treat their Thai families as 2nd class

I'm not accusing you or anyone in here of doing so...

And I guess it's easy for me to say that because my wife's village is beautiful 

So many of them speak English and we can be in a lively area in 20mins

So maybe I'd feel different in a "one horse town"

And to be honest, I don't think the Thais actually care at all....

My wife politely told me she didn't want me coming for Songkran because it's "her time" and I am completely fine with that......wasn't offended in the least

A huge bonus

The great hotel we stay in her village just installed a very nice pool!

8 hours ago, 23RD said:

It goes on for 10 days in Pattaya because Soi 6,7 and 8 always start early totally different class of tourists (Chav's) in Pattaya during Songkran. 

I would just go travel every year at that time.....

On 4/18/2024 at 9:06 PM, Pinetree said:

Yep, as past Newbies, we have all been caught in that trap at least once.   

I never was, maybe it is different in Issan compared to the South?

In the past I have been to my partner's village lots of times, they bought and cooked the food, I bought the beer as they usually do not drink and I drank about 80% of it myself.

I bought some whiskey as well, they pour a cap full (the cap of the bottle) of it into a glass and then fill it with water, it must be about 2% proof.

I have heard many guys who are/have been with Issan women complain they have/had to pay for the girl's family to live, and they have bought houses and cars which they have then lost, all of that sounds a bit stupid to me. 

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I just feel a lot of farangs treat their Thai families as 2nd class

I'm not accusing you or anyone in here of doing so...

And I guess it's easy for me to say that because my wife's village is beautiful 

So many of them speak English and we can be in a lively area in 20mins

So maybe I'd feel different in a "one horse town"

And to be honest, I don't think the Thais actually care at all....

My wife politely told me she didn't want me coming for Songkran because it's "her time" and I am completely fine with that......wasn't offended in the least

A huge bonus

The great hotel we stay in her village just installed a very nice pool!

There is nothing going on in the village, I have to pay to stay in a hotel, there is the beach to walk on and that is that.

Phuket has lots of beaches, and many other things to do, there is a swimming pool in this complex, and the house here is much larger and of a better standard than a single room at a hotel so it makes no sense to go there.

Plus my partner can just get on with enjoying being with her family without having to cater for me, so it works all around. 

2 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

I have heard many guys who are/have been with Issan women complain they have/had to pay for the girl's family to live, and they have bought houses and cars which they have then lost, all of that sounds a bit stupid to me. 

People who go that far are just dumb asses. Thats a long way from buying a suckling pig, a few bottles of Whiskey and a crate or two of beer and only doing that once every 5 years or so 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

Plus my partner can just get on with enjoying being with her family without having to cater for me, so it works all around. 

That's a very good.....

And something that sort of drives me crazy, in an innocent way...

I've been going to the village for 18 years and the Thais are always worried about me.....

Even though I have always done my own thing from Day 1

I know they mean well though...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's a very good.....

And something that sort of drives me crazy, in an innocent way...

I've been going to the village for 18 years and the Thais are always worried about me.....

Even though I have always done my own thing from Day 1

I know they mean well though...

Sounds good.

"Even though I have always done my own thing from Day 1"

In the village I am referring to I can always look at a tree, walk on an empty beach, get barked at by the local street dogs,  look at a tree, look at another tree, oh and look............................. 😄