News Forum - Bangkok tuk tuk driver and tailor shop scam British YouTuber

Thaiger

A British YouTuber warned foreign tourists of a transport scam in Bangkok, recounting his experience when a tuk tuk driver and a tailor shop attempted to swindle him out of money. British YouTuber Phil Bland shared the video when he was scammed on his YouTube channel on May 25 of last year. However, the video … …

The story Bangkok tuk tuk driver and tailor shop scam British YouTuber as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No one is forcing the tourists to engage their service. Just take public transport or walk your way....nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

These YouTubers are scammers talking cobblers about Thailand most off the time incorrect. 

Clearly these 'you tubers' are too thick to do even basic research on 'scams' in countries before they travel to them. The tuk tuk/tailor shop scam has been running for decades and anyone who even does basic research before travelling would know of it.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

Clearly these 'you tubers' are too thick to do even basic research on 'scams' in countries before they travel to them. The tuk tuk/tailor shop scam has been running for decades and anyone who even does basic research before travelling would know of it.

Yes I knew it the 1st time I was in Bangkok 

I did get scammed in believing that the Grand Palace was closed 

But honestly the "scam" was worth it to me

For 500 baht the tuk tuk took me all over places for the whole day

He did bring me to a tailor, which I knew from my research, that he would be getting a commission 

But I liked the quality of the material and I felt the price was good so I actually had a suit and shirts made

He then obviously really tried to scam me

Suggesting we take a break at a park, just for a guy to appear and try and sell me fake gems

I just declined and told the driver I knew the deal and to stop trying to do any scams 

In the end, I was happy with the money I paid and my tour

• Haha 1

I've never fallen for the 'tailor' scam, though I've seen it in BKK and Phuket.  I can't really understand why anyone, from anywhere, falls for such nonsense.

The only scam I've ever fallen for, from Thais, was being extorted for 2,000 baht from some Boys in Brown for tossing a cigarette butt in the drain, because there were no public trash cans.

It is part of life the world over, I've seen it in South Africa, Egypt, Italy France even in the UK. You either argue and call the police, even then most of them like a 'touch'. Just be aware, they are not all honest johns like you and I.

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes I knew it the 1st time I was in Bangkok 

He did bring me to a tailor, which I knew from my research, that he would be getting a commission 

But I liked the quality of the material and I felt the price was good so I actually had a suit and shirts made

He then obviously really tried to scam me

Suggesting we take a break at a park, just for a guy to appear and try and sell me fake gems

I just declined and told the driver I knew the deal and to stop trying to do any scams 

In the end, I was happy with the money I paid and my tour

In the late 1980's I went on a day trip with my wife-to-be in BKK.

Halfway through the trip, the coach stopped at a very large diamond shop, I was going to buy an engagement ring at the time anyway so we bought one from there.

My Thai girlfriend was good at bargaining and she got them down to half price. I wandered off as though I was not interested so she could do the bargaining.

I paid about 800 pounds for the ring

Back in the UK, we had the ring valued and it was valued at 2500 pounds.

A good result.

I also had two suits made by an Indian Taylor shop in BKK for the wedding, good quality and cheap.  

I suspect the YouTuber was well aware of what was going on, that is why he had his camera out and was filming, I wonder who bothers to watch all of the petty preempted so-called scams on YouTube, do these people have nothing better to do? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ellenroc said:

It is part of life the world over, I've seen it in South Africa, Egypt, Italy France even in the UK. You either argue and call the police, even then most of them like a 'touch'. Just be aware, they are not all honest johns like you and I.

On a day trip in Tunisia, the coach stopped at an expensive carpet shop, good quality but expensive.

The psychology of the presenter was a good ploy, he presented the sale in such a way as to prick some people's pride suggesting only the wealthy could buy such a carpet, it worked he sold two and the buyers looked triumphant.

I was laughing inside but said nothing.

8 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I've never fallen for the 'tailor' scam, though I've seen it in BKK and Phuket.  I can't really understand why anyone, from anywhere, falls for such nonsense.

The only scam I've ever fallen for, from Thais, was being extorted for 2,000 baht from some Boys in Brown for tossing a cigarette butt in the drain, because there were no public trash cans.

Last New Year's Eve I was on the way home but got caught short after a night of celebration, I was in an empty street and so I relived myself into a drain, suddenly a security guard in a uniform appeared from nowhere and said I had to pay a 500 baht fine, I told him to sod off politely and went on my way.

I wonder how many people he managed to extort that night.

• Haha 1

Almost 100% of the time someone gets scammed it's their fault

My friend and I got scammed in Colombia 

We had taken a bout tour and it was great

They dropped us off at another islanf to hang out and there was a restaurant 

We were feeling good and just ordered without looking at the menu and the prices weren't just high they were scam prices 

But we didn't want any trouble and we knew it was our fault not asking the price so we paid it

Ended up being about $200usd, $100 each

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Almost 100% of the time someone gets scammed it's their fault

My friend and I got scammed in Colombia 

We had taken a bout tour and it was great

They dropped us off at another islanf to hang out and there was a restaurant 

We were feeling good and just ordered without looking at the menu and the prices weren't just high they were scam prices 

But we didn't want any trouble and we knew it was our fault not asking the price so we paid it

Ended up being about $200usd, $100 each

As we say in English when such a thing happens, "That will learn you", it is grammatically incorrect but on purpose to emphasize it. 

I thought for a minute you were going to say they let you off on an island and then wanted 200 dollars each to take you back to the point of origin. 

Plus it is a positive move to blame yourself as you will learn from the experience. 

28 minutes ago, PhuketBloke said:

As we say in English when such a thing happens, "That will learn you", it is grammatically incorrect but on purpose to emphasize it. 

I thought for a minute you were going to say they let you off on an island and then wanted 200 dollars each to take you back to the point of origin. 

Plus it is a positive move to blame yourself as you will learn from the experience. 

We were well seasoned travelers at that point

Just a stupid mistake 

The boat guy just dropped me and my friend at this deserted beach and then picked us up

We were feeling a bit euphoric about how great the trip was

So we let our guard down......

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

We were well seasoned travelers at that point

Just a stupid mistake 

The boat guy just dropped me and my friend at this deserted beach and then picked us up

We were feeling a bit euphoric about how great the trip was

So we let our guard down......

I am not blaming you, it could happen to any of us as I rarely check the menu, I think I will from now on.👍

23 hours ago, Marc26 said:

He did bring me to a tailor

Same with me, first day of first trip to Thailand. After a couple of sites we got to the tailor, I knew then it was a scam. Wasn't buying mostly because I had no need. Afterward he wanted to cart me around more, but I was done with him and asked to go to my hotel. At this point he balked and instead dropped me at the dock to the river boat. Turned out the best deal I could have had as it was fantastic and an experience I probably would never have done otherwise. Got off at a spot near the SkyTrain and was back at my hotel two stops later. Went to the Grand Palace the next day all the wiser. 

I got scammed by a Thai girl....

Met her in Patong 

We decided we'd go to lunch and she told me to meet her at this Hot Pot place 

I walk in and she brought about 6 other girls with her 

I knew she was scamming me for a free lunch for her friends.....

But.....I didn’t care. I don't remember the cost(wasn't huge)

I just laughed to myself about her taking the piss and figured it was pretty cool to be hanging out with a bunch of locals....

Oh and that girl, 20 years later, has cost me a lot more than a hotpot lunch for her and her friends.   😀

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Same with me, first day of first trip to Thailand. After a couple of sites we got to the tailor, I knew then it was a scam. Wasn't buying mostly because I had no need. Afterward he wanted to cart me around more, but I was done with him and asked to go to my hotel. At this point he balked and instead dropped me at the dock to the river boat. Turned out the best deal I could have had as it was fantastic and an experience I probably would never have done otherwise. Got off at a spot near the SkyTrain and was back at my hotel two stops later. Went to the Grand Palace the next day all the wiser. 

To be honest 

I'd trade getting scammed a bit to go back and get to experience that 1st trip to Thailand again!!

• Like 1