Pattaya Immigration Experience - 13 May 2024 - For Annual Extension

I normally use an agent for my annual Retirement  extension, but she is now insisting on me obtaining all the required bank stuff in advance.  I concluded that if I'm doing that, I may as well save her fee and do it all myself, for the first time in 6 years. Here are my observations, which may inform others. 

I stated at home by downloading the TM7 and photocopying every page in my passport that had anything on it.  First thing, well 11am, I went to the bank. They were excellent, SCB in Big C South.  I updated the passbook, got the letter and 12 months statements.  All done in 15 minutes for 400 Baht.  I then went to immigration, at around 1230,  That I think was a mistake.  If I had waited until around 230 pm the numbers waiting would have been greatly reduced. The new aircon buildings are a great improvement and the new pre checking procedure in the outside building cleaned out a lot of confused Russians who don't understand the system and who like to try to jump the queue. The IOs were having none of it. They did a quick check of my paperwork, gave me a ticket and passed me into the main building. I waited around 15 minutes to be called to desk 8,  where the IO did a very good job of going through every bit of paperwork.  He especially concentrated on the 12 month bank statements and passbook, making sure that I met the 2 and 3 month rules, which I did. I was obtaining the extension 3 weeks in advance of the due date, so I made sure that the 800K was in there an extra month early to account for this.  He did comment on that, saying good move.  I tend to let the account float a bit after the 3 month point and he warned me to beware of dropping that too early or not topping up before the 2 month point. I assured him that I was very mindful of the rules. I then received a ticket to collect my passport 24 hours later.  The whole process, including waiting time came to one hour and 30 minutes. overall time, including the bank and a coffee in S and P meant that I had left home in Sattahip at 10am and I was back home by 230pm. 

Overall, its a very clear and efficient service there now and a little more customer friendly, with aircon and free water.  I will probably now continue to do my own extensions in future and save the agent fee.  I hope thats of interest to some other Members. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I normally use an agent for my annual Retirement  extension, but she is now insisting on me obtaining all the required bank stuff in advance.  I concluded that if I'm doing that, I may as well save her fee and do it all myself, for the first time in 6 years. Here are my observations, which may inform others. 

I stated at home by downloading the TM7 and photocopying every page in my passport that had anything on it.  First thing, well 11am, I went to the bank. They were excellent, SCB in Big C South.  I updated the passbook, got the letter and 12 months statements.  All done in 15 minutes for 400 Baht.  I then went to immigration, at around 1230,  That I think was a mistake.  If I had waited until around 230 pm the numbers waiting would have been greatly reduced. The new aircon buildings are a great improvement and the new pre checking procedure in the outside building cleaned out a lot of confused Russians who don't understand the system and who like to try to jump the queue. The IOs were having none of it. They did a quick check of my paperwork, gave me a ticket and passed me into the main building. I waited around 15 minutes to be called to desk 8,  where the IO did a very good job of going through every bit of paperwork.  He especially concentrated on the 12 month bank statements and passbook, making sure that I met the 2 and 3 month rules, which I did. I was obtaining the extension 3 weeks in advance of the due date, so I made sure that the 800K was in there an extra month early to account for this.  He did comment on that, saying good move.  I tend to let the account float a bit after the 3 month point and he warned me to beware of dropping that too early or not topping up before the 2 month point. I assured him that I was very mindful of the rules. I then received a ticket to collect my passport 24 hours later.  The whole process, including waiting time came to one hour and 30 minutes. overall time, including the bank and a coffee in S and P meant that I had left home in Sattahip at 10am and I was back home by 230pm. 

Overall, its a very clear and efficient service there now and a little more customer friendly, with aircon and free water.  I will probably now continue to do my own extensions in future and save the agent fee.  I hope thats of interest to some other Members. 

Thanks for sharing. Receiving others accounts of their experiences when dealing with immigration is invaluable, as the ground constantly shifts regarding regulations and procedures. I use an agent, largely because I’m here on a spouse visa and the paperwork is greater for this type of visa. And importantly my agent has contacts inside immigration, which ensures a streamlined service. My annual renewal took all of 15 minutes last visit and most of that time was spent signing my pile of documents in front of the officials.

I note that you stated you produced a bank statement 3 months prior to the date of expiry. My agent insisted upon me getting a statement 6 months prior. For those who are going through the renewal process it may be prudent to check with your local immigration office to verify the requirements as it seems to vary from office to office. It may vary due to the type of visa.

• Like 4

P.S, I also photocopied my TM30, the last TM6 and my last 90 day report receipt. Better too many copies than too few.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

P.S, I also photocopied my TM30, the last TM6 and my last 90 day report receipt. Better too many copies than too few.  

Good post Pinetree Bud I normally get there at 09.30Hrs for an extention of stay so I can return to my Condo with passport on the same day and 13.05Hrs for a 90 day report. 

It's a well oiled machine in Chonburi Immigration only slowed down by the large number of Terry F Witts that turn up without any prior planning and preparation. 

21 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Receiving others accounts of their experiences when dealing with immigration is invaluable, as the ground constantly shifts regarding regulations and procedures.

When was there last a change to Immigration orders or regulations?

21 hours ago, Khunmark said:

I note that you stated you produced a bank statement 3 months prior to the date of expiry. My agent insisted upon me getting a statement 6 months prior.

The financial requirement for an extension based on Thai spouse has always been and remains 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the date of submission.

50 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I support Khunmark here, maybe not the basic laws and regulations, but more how they are interpreted and applied. .  90 day reports in person, used to require just your passport and last report receipt, now they are insisting on a completed paper TM47.  There is also a new penalties paper to complete and sign before an extension is granted, not needed before.  A couple of years ago, my friend told me that Patts immigration were insisting on a new TM30 application before a new extension was granted.  We are all aware that there are sometimes substantial differences between various immigration offices and IOs on how they interpret the laws and rules.  Its why many of us used agents.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 23RD said:

Terry F Witts that turn up without any prior planning and preparation. 

and they all appear to speak Russian. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Khunmark said:

My annual renewal took all of 15 minutes last visit and most of that time was spent signing my pile of documents in front of the officials.

So you still had to pitch up at immigration?  Doesn't that rather defeat the object of having an agent? When I used an agent, I never went near immigration.,  She even took the required photo in her office. 

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

So you still had to pitch up at immigration?  Doesn't that rather defeat the object of having an agent? When I used an agent, I never went near immigration.,  She even took the required photo in her office. 

I am required to present in person annually for the visa renewal (not the 90 day report). Presumably this is to sign each piece of paper (and there are about 50 of these) in the presence of the officials. Chiang Mai immigration requires a hand drawn map of your residence and photos of you standing outside your residence standing outside your room (if you live in a condo) and inside your room. Your spouse must be in all photos.

I’m convinced these requirements are designed to set you up to fail should you submit the paperwork without the aid of an agent. They are extremely pedantic about the photos and map. If you go unaccompanied it seems they look for reasons to reject your application. Even in the best case scenario with all paperwork in order, a trip to immigration is a whole day affair, if you go solo. And the office itself is not air conditioned and overcrowded. It’s not called ‘the zoo’ for nothing.

Having an agent circumvents the anxiety of having your application rejected and positions you in the fast queue. It’s quick and painless and in my opinion well worth the expense. And my agent provides transportation as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

I am required to present in person annually for the visa renewal (not the 90 day report). Presumably this is to sign each piece of paper (and there are about 50 of these) in the presence of the officials. Chiang Mai immigration requires a hand drawn map of your residence and photos of you standing outside your residence standing outside your room (if you live in a condo) and inside your room. Your spouse must be in all photos.

I’m convinced these requirements are designed to set you up to fail should you submit the paperwork without the aid of an agent. They are extremely pedantic about the photos and map. If you go unaccompanied it seems they look for reasons to reject your application. Even in the best case scenario with all paperwork in order, a trip to immigration is a whole day affair, if you go solo. And the office itself is not air conditioned and overcrowded. It’s not called ‘the zoo’ for nothing.

Having an agent circumvents the anxiety of having your application rejected and positions you in the fast queue. It’s quick and painless and in my opinion well worth the expense. And my agent provides transportation as well.

I would support anyone who uses an agent, as I did in years past.  Of course, the Retirement extension is a far simpler process than the married one, so, based on this last visit, I can cope with doing it once a year.  However, if it becomes a burden again, as I get older, I would not hesitate to go back to the agent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

90 day reports in person, used to require just your passport and last report receipt, now they are insisting on a completed paper TM47.

Not at my IO.

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

There is also a new penalties paper to complete and sign before an extension is granted, not needed before. 

Been completing the STM2 terms and conditions form for years, as well as acknowledgement of overstay rules.

I agree each IO may request conflicting documents at times, but then each IO has its own problems with the 'local' foreigner community they service. My IO comply with the new TM30 regulations for the time being, but that may change - the reason they inform is that more and more foreigners each year when applying for annual extensions are providing proof of a residential address different to that registered on their system.

In other words, foreigners make a rod for their own back and others, by not complying with existing rules/regulations in the first instance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

I’m convinced these requirements are designed to set you up to fail should you submit the paperwork without the aid of an agent.

No, they are designed to ensure you meet the requirements of Immigration orders, for extensions based on Thai spouse, though I doubt you are familiar with them, otherwise you'd understand.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

In the past twelve months. The year prior 2022, I was required to provide a  bank statement that went back 3 months from the expiry date of my visa. This year I was required to provide a bank statement that went back 6 months from the expiry date of my visa. If you had bothered to read my post you would know this.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

No, they are designed to ensure you meet the requirements of Immigration orders, for extensions based on Thai spouse, though I doubt you are familiar with them, otherwise you'd understand.

On 5/14/2024 at 12:37 PM, Khunmark said:

My agent insisted upon me getting a statement 6 months prior. For those who are going through the renewal process it may be prudent to check with your local immigration office to verify the requirements as it seems to vary from office to office. It may vary due to the type of visa.

My immigration office only requires a form letter from the bank attesting to my current balance and a photocopy of my bank book to ensure that funds have been there for two months prior to renewal.

Invariably, I get a bank clerk who's never done it before and it takes more time to get the letter than it does to make the renewal application.

The only hiccup, this last time, was they insisted on two copies of everything, so my wife had to scoot to the copy shop.

My agent is my wife, because she handles all the visas for an international school full of foreign teachers, so she's got a very good rep in the immigration office.  Maybe that's why it's easy.  And normally she is spot on for everything, which really makes it easy for me, but this time we applied 45 days early, and she miscounted the days and she had to go back the following day.  I didn't.

This time I only had one immi rep come to the house to make sure I lived there, instead of three or four.  Snapped a couple of pictures and he was on his way.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

My immigration office only requires a form letter from the bank attesting to my current balance and a photocopy of my bank book to ensure that funds have been there for two months prior to renewal.

Invariably, I get a bank clerk who's never done it before and it takes more time to get the letter than it does to make the renewal application.

The only hiccup, this last time, was they insisted on two copies of everything, so my wife had to scoot to the copy shop.

My agent is my wife, because she handles all the visas for an international school full of foreign teachers, so she's got a very good rep in the immigration office.  Maybe that's why it's easy.  And normally she is spot on for everything, which really makes it easy for me, but this time we applied 45 days early, and she miscounted the days and she had to go back the following day.  I didn't.

This time I only had one immi rep come to the house to make sure I lived there, instead of three or four.  Snapped a couple of pictures and he was on his way.

Interesting that you’ve had more than one visit from immigration. My wife was told by the visiting immigration official that the visit was a once off. That was our first and only visit, no-one bothered the last time around.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Khunmark said:

In the past twelve months. The year prior 2022, I was required to provide a  bank statement that went back 3 months from the expiry date of my visa. This year I was required to provide a bank statement that went back 6 months from the expiry date of my visa. If you had bothered to read my post you would know this.

Your 'agent' requested a 6-month statement.
Immigration orders make it quite clear it's only 2 months prior to the date of application based on funds.

4 hours ago, Khunmark said:

In the past twelve months. The year prior 2022, I was required to provide a  bank statement that went back 3 months from the expiry date of my visa.

It's a permit, not a visa.

The purpose of the photos is to ensure as far a practicable without a house visit that the marriage is de jure and defacto. The map is in the case of making a house visit.
I've read some IO's are now requesting latitude and longitude of the residence be marked on the map.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:18 PM, 23RD said:

Good post Pinetree Bud I normally get there at 09.30Hrs for an extention of stay so I can return to my Condo with passport on the same day and 13.05Hrs for a 90 day report. 

It's a well oiled machine in Chonburi Immigration only slowed down by the large number of Terry F Witts that turn up without any prior planning and preparation. 

Thankfully I live rural. 90 day in out 5 minutes.  Smiles all round.

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Your 'agent' requested a 6-month statement.
Immigration orders make it quite clear it's only 2 months prior to the date of application based on funds.

It's a permit, not a visa.

Be aware this can vary from Immigration office to the next one. Abide by all their requests with a smile and thank you.  Yeah I know some get a "power hit" BUT they can also deport you for a minor infraction of rules.

Land of smiles wins always.

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

Interesting that you’ve had more than one visit from immigration. My wife was told by the visiting immigration official that the visit was a once off. That was our first and only visit, no-one bothered the last time around.

Expect an increase in this area.  "The evil Farlung need to have constant surveillance these days."

There are many changes happening currently in immigration and they have to prove they are doing their jobs. For explanation ask the foreigners doing the wrong thing in the main tourist areas, their actions all filter down to the non-tourist areas unfortunately. "A hiccup in Pattaya is a problem in Issan theory.'

Minority screwing it up for the majority, sound familiar to those of western origin.

2 hours ago, Khunmark said:

We thought so, at the beginning, too.

Every year now (this is the 3rd), since they started doing it.  Local Immi officers are visiting schools and checking up on individuals, as well.

Perhaps it's just an efficient director now.

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

Expect an increase in this area.  "The evil Farlung need to have constant surveillance these days."

I live in Hat Yai.  We have a different breed of farangs here, methinks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

Be aware this can vary from Immigration office to the next one. Abide by all their requests with a smile and thank you.  Yeah I know some get a "power hit" BUT they can also deport you for a minor infraction of rules.

I always supply a 3-month bank statement just as confirmation the 'funds' have been in the account for longer than the required 2 months. Where's the infraction in complying with Immigration orders.

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I would support anyone who uses an agent, as I did in years past.  Of course, the Retirement extension is a far simpler process than the married one, so, based on this last visit, I can cope with doing it once a year.  However, if it becomes a burden again, as I get older, I would not hesitate to go back to the agent. 

For an International population of retirees that bring an estimated 35 billion US dollars into the nation you would think would generate a minute bit of respect and easing of formality. Wrong. 

Friend been here 35 years nearly, married a Thai and child in Switzerland at Uni, same residence for 35 years still does 90 day report.  Shows mass disrepect.

On 5/14/2024 at 12:59 AM, Pinetree said:

He especially concentrated on the 12 month bank statements and passbook

How long does it take to get the 12 month statement and bank letter from Bangkok Bank and available from hone branche only?

7 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

How long does it take to get the 12 month statement and bank letter from Bangkok Bank and available from hone branche only?

No idea.  As I said in my post, my bank is SCB and they were excellent.  

1 hour ago, Mamachigawa said:

A 12-month statement has to be ordered from their HQ in advance, takes 5-7 days.
Branches can only print statements up to 6 months.

Almost all branches can order the statement, produce statements, and issue the letters.