News Forum - American tourist rescued from 4-hour nightmare in Pattaya sewers

Thaiger

An American tourist was rescued from the sewers beneath Pattaya, eastern Thailand, yesterday after getting trapped in the murky, pungent pipe system for more than four hours. A security guard was bewildered when he heard a voice coming from beneath a covered drain at the entrance of Soi 8 Thep Prasit, Moo 11, Nong Prue …

The story American tourist rescued from 4-hour nightmare in Pattaya sewers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

58 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

There is always one idiot around the place, or in Pattaya's case, several dozen. 

Don't see how being the victim of an awful accident makes him an idiot. Road and sidewalk there have been under heavy construction for months and of course on the safety side it's quite lacking.

You're spot on about the dozens though, if we're talking hundreds of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Don't see how being the victim of an awful accident makes him an idiot.

It was reported that there were no man holes uncovered in that vicinity that he could have fallen through.  And if by some mischance there was, why didn't he just climb out the same hole or call for assistance, instead of crawling through a sewer.  As I said, an idiot. 

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

It was reported that there were no man holes uncovered in that vicinity that he could have fallen through.  And if by some mischance there was, why didn't he just climb out the same hole or call for assistance, instead of crawling through a sewer.  As I said, an idiot. 

"he suddenly fell into an uncovered drain into the sewer. However hard he tried, he couldn’t climb out."

And there's your answer.....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

"he suddenly fell into an uncovered drain into the sewer. However hard he tried, he couldn’t climb out."

And there's your answer.....

BS.  The Police reported no uncovered drains in the area (103FM report ).  The pic shows him standing just below a grate and the pipes are not far below the surface.  He was either drunk, drugged  up, or an attention seeker 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

BS.  The Police reported no uncovered drains in the area (103FM report ).  The pic shows him standing just below a grate and the pipes are not far below the surface.  He was either drunk, drugged  up, or an attention seeker 

Ah, well if the Thai police say it's true...

Surely the pic would show him where he was found, not where he fell. And presumably by that time the guy was tired out and dehydrated. I know a lot of guys who can't do a single pull up at the best of times! 

Until you've spent 4 hours waddling through ssshittt, you can't say how you'd feel. 

Anyways, glad the guy is okay, and hopefully he can have a laugh about it down the line... 

"....I had a right crappy night the other night..... and so on" 😆😆😆

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

There are sketchy openings in the ground every 3 meters actually, been like that for months, and surely there are some that are just the right size for someone to fall into and be trapped. I guess the police meant there are no official holes that are uncovered.

"or an attention seeker" 😂 I hope you wouldn't do that for attention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Surely the pic would show him where he was found, not where he fell. And presumably by that time the guy was tired out and dehydrated.

I don't really care, but for the sake of the debate,  why would he move through sewers from the place he fell in, with no idea where the sewer was leading him.  It doesn't make any sense. I'm an older guy, but I don't fall through sewer holes because I watch where I'm walking and if I did, old or not, unless it was 15 feet deep, which none of them seem to be, I would get myself out, or shout myself horse for help. 

9 hours ago, Wackamole said:

right size for someone to fall into and be trapped

Yes, if they were a child, but an adult?  I just don't buy it and I doubt that the Police do either. 

25 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Yes, if they were a child, but an adult?  I just don't buy it and I doubt that the Police do either. 

25 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I think you could easily fall in one of those in Thailand 

However I think it would be easier to fall into one of those when you are off your face on drugs as well 5555

And that's the likely scenario here 🙄 

When i lived in patong, there were many times I  barely missed falling into street sinkholes, and open sewer. I can sympathize. It must have been traumatic experience, I think.

Additional Edit

Ok, I just see his photo. I can understand some of comments questioning sobriety. Sorry to say, yes the man looks like the type of person to do this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I think you could easily fall in one of those in Thailand 

However I think it would be easier to fall into one of those when you are off your face on drugs as well 5555

And that's the likely scenario here 🙄 

I agree 

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I don't really care, but for the sake of the debate,  why would he move through sewers from the place he fell in, with no idea where the sewer was leading him.  It doesn't make any sense. I'm an older guy, but I don't fall through sewer holes because I watch where I'm walking and if I did, old or not, unless it was 15 feet deep, which none of them seem to be, I would get myself out, or shout myself horse for help. 

I agree with minding your steps. But not everyone has been here long enough to have lost trust in sidewalks. As to shouting, you seem to know where this is, so you probably know barely anybody walks around especially in day time, and it's a 4 lane road with incessant traffic so good luck. Then you also need someone who hears to actually investigate and find you, which happened in the end.

Its not that I'm hell bent on defending this guy or anything, but I'm not sure where you're all getting the idea that there exists a type of people to DO this. And it makes no difference if victim was high/drunk/both.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Wackamole said:

but I'm not sure where you're all getting the idea that there exists a type of people to DO this

Come off it.  Pattaya is chock full of nutters, a place with so many drunk, drugged up lunatics' and low life's , who do all kinds of weird shxx, you can believe that anything is possible and no doubt happens.  I don't buy his story for a second. Just one more fxxxed up idiot, among many.