News Forum - Englishman fights for his life after motorbike crash in Phuket, Thailand

Thaiger

A young Englishman is fighting for his life in the hospital after losing a significant amount of blood in a horror motorbike crash in Phuket, southern Thailand, on Monday, May 1. The tourist, 25 year old Liam Kilby from Liverpool, was on holiday in Phuket with friends when he crashed into a shopfront. After suffering …

The story Englishman fights for his life after motorbike crash in Phuket, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

His family has launched a fundraiser to cover the mounting costs…

They should have paid him a travel insurance and told him , not to rent a motorbike.

And the "friends", who pulled out the glass from his throat, they should be charged to!

First thing you learn, never pull some object out of someone's body, that might have cut big blood vessels!

These days you even learn that on TV.

And to this:

The hospital in Phuket, Thailand, is demanding the bill paid up to now but Liam can’t communicate anything to us obviously and none of our family can put together enough money.

Vachira is a government hospital. They will try to get the money, but they will still do the neccessary things, to keep him alive. And he will be able, to leave (in case he can), WITHOUT paying that bill!

• Like 3

'His family are crowdfunding to pay for his medical expenses'

Yet another irresponsible idiot who didn't bother with travel insurance (or maybe invalidated it by driving a bike without a licence). 

• Like 3

a  couple of things don't make sense in this article such as the mounting hospital bills and the relatives flying out when the crowd funding isnt even enough to said bills,  the flights will be at least $700 per person

are we being scammed?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jobapps said:

a  couple of things don't make sense in this article such as the mounting hospital bills and the relatives flying out when the crowd funding isnt even enough to said bills,  the flights will be at least $700 per person

are we being scammed?

I wouldn't call that scamming( and I hate this GoFunMe begging)

If your kid, brother, etc was in that situation you would want someone out there to be with him

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't call that scamming( and I hate this GoFunMe begging)

If your kid, brother, etc was in that situation you would want someone out there to be with him

Yeah, your right of course but once they are there, they still need to get the money. but as someone said government hospitals frequently have people leaving without paying, hence that 300 baht tax there are trying to launch that will be used to pay those debts.

Gofundmes appear all to frequently in these new articles, it has its limits and if people keep using it, the help will dry up thats for sure.

1 hour ago, jobapps said:

Yeah, your right of course but once they are there, they still need to get the money. but as someone said government hospitals frequently have people leaving without paying, hence that 300 baht tax there are trying to launch that will be used to pay those debts.

Gofundmes appear all to frequently in these new articles, it has its limits and if people keep using it, the help will dry up thats for sure.

Like I said, I hate this GoFundMe begging

But I would actually donate to a family needing money to go out to their loved one

But I would not donate to someone who was irresponsible

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

First thing you learn, never pull some object out of someone's body, that might have cut big blood vessels!

Obviously they did not watch one of the John Wick movies that he said to his foe after stabbing in the heart with a knife that this is a common courtesy and I suggest you to not pull it out. 

it is not just a John Wick thing!

You don`t even release someone from the handlebar of his bicycle , if it is just in his stomach.

Or other big objects, that penetrate the body.

Why you think, even the emergency guy`s cut of these things, and get the people with them into hospital?

• Like 2

Another day, another GoFundMe. No helmet, no license, no insurance - no problem!

Zero sympathy. Take out a loan - pay for your own (son's) stupidity.

• Like 1

These road authorities are blood suckers. 

You pay road taxes and toll but you still get shitty roads with mega potholes posing dangers to motorcyclists.

13 hours ago, jobapps said:

are we being scammed?

The whole family doesn't have 700 quid to buy one of the family members an air ticket to go look after him in Thai hospital?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HiuMak said:

You pay road taxes and toll but you still get shitty roads with mega potholes posing dangers to motorcyclists.

That with the "swerving to avoid a pothole" might have happened, but My guess is simple driven to fast on unknown roads near houses, cars, kids, ....!

Perhaps the friend was on another bike and they "just had fun"?

Often enough to spot , not only on Phukets roads.

And yes, if non in the family has the money, to send one over to take care, how could he afford to get on holiday, there?

I really wish, that the tax authorities would check on every crowdfunding attempt!

• Like 1

We were in Tulum Mexico and there was a brand new road built to the beach road and it was a mess with massive pot holes

My wife said "same same Thailand,  they get the money for make a street but take it "

34 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

And yes, if non in the family has the money, to send one over to take care, how could he afford to get on holiday, there?

I don't come from a family with money

But I could afford to travel in my 20's because I had a decent job

But I didn't have a ton of money in the bank 

If that happened to me in my 20's 

My family wouldn't really have the money to lose money to take time off work and the expenses it would take to fly over and stay there

My brother and sister are in their late 50's and neither has more than $200-300 dollars to their name most times

If that 

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck 

• Like 1

The whole family doesn't have 700 quid to buy one of the family members an air ticket to go look after him in Thai hospital?

My Thai BIL's wife fell off a tree and broke her back in Samut Prakan last week

They had to transport her to Khon Kaen for spine surgery and she will be up for there for a few months 

My BIL makes decent money to get by but doesn't have any savings and now can't work for months 

So many people live paycheck to paycheck 

So when something comes up. The expenses can be hard for the family 

The kid had no right being on a bike here. Let's just hope he is ok in the end and never gets on one again or comes back here.

May be it is time that Thaiger stop publishing such articles. If individuals are not responsible for their act, let them face their fate and consequences. No point in wasting others time on such irresponsible people's stories. If really wanted to cover such stories, the better include those of the locals also. Don't be selective in putting up...

On 5/8/2023 at 6:07 PM, ChrisS said:

Yet another irresponsible idiot who didn't bother with travel insurance (or maybe invalidated it by driving a bike without a licence). 

Reading this was an emotional rollercoaster for me.

At first I went into a bottomless pit of doubt and anguish, agonizing over whether I should finally get one of those travel insurances indeed. Thankfully you made this unpleasant feeling dissipate in a heartbeat with the footnote that it would be no good anyway without a licence.

My strategy will thus remain to drive like they're all out to get me, navigate the potholes as brilliantly as ever without going through shopfronts, and just hope for the best! Also whenever possible not carry any sort of ID so there's no gofundme when they do get me. The bike is stolen so not an issue either.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

May be it is time that Thaiger stop publishing such articles. If individuals are not responsible for their act, let them face their fate and consequences. No point in wasting others time on such irresponsible people's stories. If really wanted to cover such stories, the better include those of the locals also. Don't be selective in putting up...

Very much agreed. It does make sense though that they report a farang crashing through a shop front and not all the Thais getting hit due to weak driving standards.

Just do skip the gofundme and sister nonsense in my opinion.

• Like 1