News Forum - Outrage as energy bills rise for households, drop for industry

Thaiger

The government has come under fire for its latest revision of electricity pricing, with accusations that it will reduce energy bills for various industries but raise those of households. The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has decided to increase power bills for households from 4.72 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit) to 4.77 baht. Industry will also be …

The story Outrage as energy bills rise for households, drop for industry as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

We are good with usage as only use the air condition at later night times in our rooms and then turn them off 2-3 am, but even this gives us a 4500 - 6300 baht bill every month depending on the time of year. We just use things within a thin line to have a particular comfort of life but nothing over board.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

but even this gives us a 4500 - 6300 baht bill every month depending on the time of year.

Surely you made a mistake here...??

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Surely you made a mistake here...??

No, that is a conservative bill min -max. 4 people in our house. 4 rooms 4 different air conditioning units at night. 

45 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

No, that is a conservative bill min -max. 4 people in our house. 4 rooms 4 different air conditioning units at night. 

Ah, that explains it.  I've only two in my home (a modest home to be sure) and ours runs around 3,500 a month.

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

We are good with usage as only use the air condition at later night times in our rooms and then turn them off 2-3 am, but even this gives us a 4500 - 6300 baht bill every month depending on the time of year. We just use things within a thin line to have a particular comfort of life but nothing over board.

Check how well your window and door seals are sealing out heat, noise and dust. I recently added new seals to my aluminium doors and windows and I saw a big improvement in keeping outside heat, noise and dust out. I bought my place new 5 years ago and the seals were either poor quality or insufficient in sealing the windows and doors. In some of the gaps I actually added 2 x rubber seals in order to tighten up the void and make it a tight seal.

I also added better seals around the wooden doors as well. I now run my air-conditioning less hours per day in order to maintain a cool interior and the other benefits are the better sealing against external road noise and dust. I know the dust and noise aren't issues for all people but some people might benefit from having lower noise and or dust levels. 

Even a single bedroom in a house would benefit from a review of window and door seal integrity if that room is used as the cool refuge from the heat or to help keep dust out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Ah, that explains it.  I've only two in my home (a modest home to be sure) and ours runs around 3,500 a month.

The electric bill runs up quick for sure. Nothing we can do unless less comfort of life and I’m not even gonna go there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Check how well your window and door seals are sealing out heat, noise and dust. I recently added new seals to my aluminium doors and windows and I saw a big improvement in keeping outside heat, noise and dust out. I bought my place new 5 years ago and the seals were either poor quality or insufficient in sealing the windows and doors. In some of the gaps I actually added 2 x rubber seals in order to tighten up the void and make it a tight seal.

I also added better seals around the wooden doors as well. I now run my air-conditioning less hours per day in order to maintain a cool interior and the other benefits are the better sealing against external road noise and dust. I know the dust and noise aren't issues for all people but some people might benefit from having lower noise and or dust levels. 

Even a single bedroom in a house would benefit from a review of window and door seal integrity if that room is used as the cool refuge from the heat or to help keep dust out.

Can’t do anything to the windows and the doors have a floor seal. Biggest thing is the walls get really hot in daytime. I have been thinking of maybe adding a time thermal coveting on the exterior. That would certainly help a great lot. The sun just cooks the house. I bought it new about 6 years ago, but the builders used a lot of crap to pilfer money into their corrupt little pockets. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Can’t do anything to the windows and the doors have a floor seal. Biggest thing is the walls get really hot in daytime. I have been thinking of maybe adding a time thermal coveting on the exterior. That would certainly help a great lot. The sun just cooks the house. I bought it new about 6 years ago, but the builders used a lot of crap to pilfer money into their corrupt little pockets. 

Single skin red brick walls DO heat up, as you say, and hold the heat well into the wee hours.  Thus a/c is having to work overtime to cool the walls as well as the interior.

One solution is to install an external shade barrier, another is to brick up the inside wall leaving a small air gap/thermal barrier between the double wall.

Double glazing for bedroom windows is an absolute no-brainer and doesn't have to cost that much to retro-fit. AussieR is on the money!

I live in an attached two-story row house.  There isn't any insulation above the upstairs ceilings, so that is my next household project.

I am hoping that the reduction in need ac cooling will pay for the insulation in just a couple or a few years.

19 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Single skin red brick walls DO heat up, as you say, and hold the heat well into the wee hours.  Thus a/c is having to work overtime to cool the walls as well as the interior.

One solution is to install an external shade barrier, another is to brick up the inside wall leaving a small air gap/thermal barrier between the double wall.

Double glazing for bedroom windows is an absolute no-brainer and doesn't have to cost that much to retro-fit. AussieR is on the money!

Yes I know about the barrier. I have been looking into heat reflective paneling like this in the picture and it is actually very nice looking. I only really need to do the second story on 2 sides of the house. The windows aren’t that bad. 
image.jpeg.f65f6744832a2dda2fcc5ed993c9f8e8.jpeg

• Like 2