News Forum - Tuk tuk driver punches foreign tourist in the face in Bangkok (video)

Thaiger

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Try it with a Scottish accent 🙄

You say that mate, but I’m reminded of a time I was in a 7/11 in Phuket with an English mate of mine. In a clear, slow and perfect “queens English accent” voice he asked for some Marlborough Cigarettes. Three times he asked and with each time leaning further over the counter to point  in the direction of the packet on the shelf. The woman was really struggling to understand him. Just as my mate was about to hurdle the counter and pick up the packet, this Middle Eastern looking guy walks in and says in a clipped and poor English accent “packet of Marlborough Lite”. The women instantly understood him and turned to pass her colleague the packet while she continued to try to understand what the hell my mate was banging on about. We just both burst out laughing and I said “same same him” pointing to the other guy. 😂😂

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Try it with a Scottish accent 🙄

My wife just shuts down with any Brit or Scottish accent 555

Believe me, my garbled Boston accent was enough for her. 😀

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well that’s exactly what I do. I spend 3-4 months in Thailand followed by 1-2 months back in the U.K.  In some ways it helps, but in others I actually think it hinders settling better. It very much depends on your character and no one person is the same.

The continual transition from “normality” back to a very different world can be both exciting and at the same time stressful. As people get older, I also see their thoughts turn to the inevitable. Questions around long term health care. What will happen if I need long term care? Where do I wish to die? Do I miss my children and grandchildren? Will the poor air in Thailand help my COPD?  Will my pension payments increase? Will I still be shuffling along to immigration every 90 days when I’m 90? Will the woman I’m with who is 35 years younger than me still be with me when I’m 80 and she’s 45? 

As I say, no one size fits all and the main thing is to stay in control, always have a “Plan B” and enjoy life. It’s far too short not to. 

I left Boston when I was 19yrs old for school and only went back for 2 years

Been living away ever since

But have always been back to Boston 

Same with my wife and Thailand 

She has friends that don't go back to Thailand for years

She goes every 6 months usually 

That's how we live our lives

In a few different places 

I am the youngest in my family by a decent gap

So I'd imagine I will be the last around(hopefully)

And will have grandkids in Thailand 

I never ever thought it would be the case

But I'd say it's a good chance my last days would be in Thailand 

But I still have all my best friends that I have had for 45+ years

So as long as I am able to travel

I can't imagine not spending time back in Boston 

Even in my 70's

But we will see....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You say that mate, but I’m reminded of a time I was in a 7/11 in Phuket with an English mate of mine. In a clear, slow and perfect “queens English accent” voice he asked for some Marlborough Cigarettes. Three times he asked and with each time leaning further over the counter to point  in the direction of the packet on the shelf. The woman was really struggling to understand him. Just as my mate was about to hurdle the counter and pick up the packet, this Middle Eastern looking guy walks in and says in a clipped and poor English accent “packet of Marlborough Lite”. The women instantly understood him and turned to pass her colleague the packet while she continued to try to understand what the hell my mate was banging on about. We just both burst out laughing and I said “same same him” pointing to the other guy. 😂😂

We used to like Vodka Cranberry 

And way back very few places had it

We asked at a small beer bar in Ao Nang

And they said  "hab"

They proceeded to bring out 4 different drinks until I told them, laughingly, stop bringing me drinks!  555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skip said:

You have been beaten down to the Thai norm of compliance with no genuine self respect... just window dressing wei and a smile... 555

I wouldn't disagree with that

Many times before I'd get all worked up because a Thai did something that u found stupid or "not the way"

And even though what they propose is ass backwards, sometimes I feel it's easier to go along 

In the end, it usually works out

I had one at The Sheraton a couple weeks ago

That I wouldn't let go because it was so dumb

But in the end, I was "right " but what did it get me

I wasted time and emotion 

I gave a 3k cash deposit on check-in

I spent 6k so I needed to give them 3k more

I didn't bring my deposit slip because they were going to keep the 3k and I had to give them 3k

The front desk girl said I needed to give her my passport to get my 3k back

I explained I'm not taking it back, because I needed to give them 3k more

It broke her brain

She just couldn't understand it

And I felt it was so dumb I wasn't going to go to my bag and give her my passport 

It took 2 managers to come over before someone understood the whole stupid situation 

So what did I gain?

Nothing

I guess I proved myself right?

Big whoop

Sometimes you just go with the stupid here

It's the easiest route 

18 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Sometimes you just go with the stupid here

It's the easiest route 

Exactly why there is sooo much "stupid"... one doesn't have to make a big deal about it, but the serial non confrontational behavior when an error is in the process contributes exponentially to the dumbing down of the masses and contributes nothing to society 

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Exactly why there is sooo much "stupid"... one doesn't have to make a big deal about it, but the serial non confrontational behavior when an error is in the process contributes exponentially to the dumbing down of the masses and contributes nothing to society 

For sure it does

But do you think my argument is going to change anything?

It won't 

It just wasted my time and my emotion/energy 

1 hour ago, Skip said:

And believe me 

I have issues with the "stupid" in my wife's family

My wife is a bit better having lived outside Thailand for so long

But the amount of times they just don't want to think blows my mind

The other day

Driving back from my wife's village to the new home we bought in Nonthaburi 

It's my 1st time doing this drive

Her brother is driving, a route he's taken 20+ times

I want to understand where I am and my surroundings 

I'd say 1hr20mins in I ask him how long we are from the house

Again to get my bearings on the surroundings 

He says don't know

I asked can he give me a guess

He says he never thinks about the time 

He couldn't even try and conjure up a thought.....