60 Day Tourist Visa at Penang?

As a UK citizen currently outside the UK Im not elligible for the evisa but can I get it by going to the consulate in Penang?

What documents , money   etc hoops will I need to jump through to get it if I can get it ? 

7 hours ago, mws said:

As a UK citizen currently outside the UK Im not elligible for the evisa but can I get it by going to the consulate in Penang?

What documents , money   etc hoops will I need to jump through to get it if I can get it ? 

It is crazy but indeed the Thai eVisa system is such that you are only allowed to apply for an e-Visa when you are at moment of application in your home-country. 

But of course you can apply in person for a 'regular non-e' Visa at Thai embassies/consulates in other countries that provide such Visa.  But it will depend on the TYPE of Visa you want to apply for, at which Thai Embassy/Consulate such Visa is available to apply for.  And on top of that the REQUIREMENTS and PROCEDURE can differ enormously depending on WHERE you apply. 

There are some peculiarities re the process to apply for a Visa at the Penang consulate.  

Do clarify WHICH specific Visa you want to apply for, and WHY that one (as you might be eligible for other type Visa that you are not aware of). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mws said:

If you go to this link of theirs: https://penang.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/114491-visa-requirements-i

You will see what you need for the visa type you are seeking.

Word of advice, use the application form they provide, I've seen them get shirty if you aren't using the "Penang" one, even though it's the same application as other embassies and consulates.

• Like 1

I want a 60 day tourist visa. I will already have one 30 day visa exempt trip to Thailand in my passport this year. But Im planning to go to Penang to apply in person for the 60 day tourist visa as that will be long enough for me this time....

3 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

It is crazy but indeed the Thai eVisa system is such that you are only allowed to apply for an e-Visa when you are at moment of application in your home-country. 

But of course you can apply in person for a 'regular non-e' Visa at Thai embassies/consulates in other countries that provide such Visa.  But it will depend on the TYPE of Visa you want to apply for, at which Thai Embassy/Consulate such Visa is available to apply for.  And on top of that the REQUIREMENTS and PROCEDURE can differ enormously depending on WHERE you apply. 

There are some peculiarities re the process to apply for a Visa at the Penang consulate.  

Do clarify WHICH specific Visa you want to apply for, and WHY that one (as you might be eligible for other type Visa that you are not aware of). 

I clarified that in the title . 60 day tourist visa . Thanks.

5 hours ago, mws said:

Will I need proof of onward ticket or accommodation ? 

It's a strong possibility.  Those actually are the requirements, and Penang can be sticklers for following the rules.

That's why some people choose Kota Bahru for their visas.  They aren't quite as touchy about dotting all the "i"s and crossing all the "t"s.

Posted (edited)

Thanks will check out Kota Bahru. Is it easy enough to extend  a visa exemption 30 days in Chiang Mai or other immigration centres in Thailand? 

Edited by mws

1 hour ago, mws said:

Thanks will check out Kota Bahru. Is it easy enough to extend  a visa exemption 30 days in Chiang Mai or other immigration centres in Thailand? 

The process is the same in every Immigration office, which is a rarity in itself, yet the person handling the application can deny it for any reason they see fit.