News Forum - Tuk tuk driver punches foreign tourist in the face in Bangkok (video)

Thaiger

A tuk tuk driver was caught on camera punching a foreign tourist in the face, twice, at the entrance of Khao San Road in Bangkok, Thailand, on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, the citizen journalism page ‘Social Hunter Reborn V‘ posted a chaotic four-minute-long clip on Facebook of a heated argument at the entrance of …

The story Tuk tuk driver punches foreign tourist in the face in Bangkok (video) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well done Thailand. Good Job. Keep it up and do continue to engage more in such actions. Really heroic deed. This is how you should protect Thailand from foreign invasion. Congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The tuk-tuk driver is obviously at fault and needs to be drug tested and taken off the streets, but the American is very stupid to get involved in a Thai-on-Thai argument. Shouldn't do that, and especially not in khao san where many of the people working hate foreigners and will look for any excuse to attack one. The things we hear on the news are just a fraction of what goes on there - minor acts of violence against foreigners is a regular thing there.

• Like 2

Keep em coming Thailand. As I said in the thread about the slapping bouncer, more and more of these will find their way on social media. I personally wouldn’t recommend Thailand to anyone as a holiday destination anymore. It’s becoming more nationalistic and racist with each passing year. Better places to visit. 

• Like 2

I would have downed that little twerp. I don't take that sort of crap from anyone, but I also do speak Thai very well and this would never have been a situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinga said:

The tuk-tuk driver is obviously at fault and needs to be drug tested and taken off the streets, but the American is very stupid to get involved in a Thai-on-Thai argument. Shouldn't do that, and especially not in khao san where many of the people working hate foreigners and will look for any excuse to attack one. The things we hear on the news are just a fraction of what goes on there - minor acts of violence against foreigners is a regular thing there.

Drug Tested? And all the nighttime taxi drivers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Well done Thailand. Good Job. Keep it up and do continue to engage more in such actions. Really heroic deed. This is how you should protect Thailand from foreign invasion. Congratulations!

This happens every night in (pick a city) in every country 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

This happens every night in (pick a city) in every country 

Involving tourists? I doubt it. Maybe with locals, but not tourists 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Involving tourists? I doubt it. Maybe with locals, but not tourists 

Yes not your family from London in Disney World

But in these busy young party tourist areas

Absolutely every night 

I think it's a combination of young tourist drunk acting like fools and locals looking for any reason to have a fight 

Obviously we are older and we were young once

But sit outside and watch a scene like that

The kids can be so frigging obnoxious 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I would have downed that little twerp. I don't take that sort of crap from anyone, but I also do speak Thai very well and this would never have been a situation.

Not a good idea.  You don't know what his fighting skills are (could be well versed in Muay Thai) and you don't know if his buddies are around to gang up on you.  You fight back in a situation like that and you may end up dead.  Just not worth the trouble, better to suck up your pride and live another day.
The American was dumb for getting involved but was smart to not fight back. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

I personally wouldn’t recommend Thailand to anyone as a holiday destination anymore. It’s becoming more nationalistic and racist with each passing year. Better places to visit. 

I wouldn't go that far, though this is certainly true in tourist areas (Patong, khao san, etc). Ironically the places you're most likely to encounter racism. If you stay away from such areas you should be fine.

Edited by Pinga

11 minutes ago, Pinga said:

I wouldn't go that far, though this is certainly true in tourist areas (Patong, khao san, etc). Ironically the places you're most likely to encounter racism. If you stay away from such areas you should be fine.

Yes I would agree with that. And part of me understand the issue. It must get hard dealing with so many people who are alien to you in their attitudes and appearance. But hey, you wanted mass tourism and you decided to work in the tourist industry. All that said, I can see how it leads to friction. Add the alcohol and drugs in to the mix and it can easily get out of hand. 

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Keep em coming Thailand. As I said in the thread about the slapping bouncer, more and more of these will find their way on social media. I personally wouldn’t recommend Thailand to anyone as a holiday destination anymore. It’s becoming more nationalistic and racist with each passing year. Better places to visit. 

I just think you have soured on Thailand. Which is obviously your prerogative 

But the vast vast majority of tourists will come to Thailand and feel they have had an amazing time

Most wouldn't know and frankly wouldn't care about any of that 

It's the long term visitors and expats that would see any of that dark side 

And a lot of them can avoid that dark side or simply decide if the positives outweigh the negatives

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I just think you have soured on Thailand. Which is obviously your prerogative 

But the vast vast majority of tourists will come to Thailand and feel they have had an amazing time

Most wouldn't know and frankly wouldn't care about any of that 

It's the long term visitors and expats that would see any of that dark side 

And a lot of them can avoid that dark side or simply decide if the positives outweigh the negatives

I have absolutely soured on Thailand. Mainly because I think Thailand has gone off over the past 10 years. Even friends who visit here once a year for the past 25 years have all started to think it’s changed for the worse and starting to look elsewhere. They feel customer services isn’t what it once was and the Thai smiles don’t seem as genuine anymore (we’re they ever?). Certainly for many from Europe and the U.K. things aren’t as value for money as they once were also. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt? But yes, I can’t disagree with you that I’ve seen too much of the dark side of this place and seen it basically go nowhere in 25 years.  I’m hoping for a change following the elections in May, but I doubt I’ll notice much?  

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Wrong answer. The big guy made the right call and cut his losses. 

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

I have absolutely soured on Thailand. Mainly because I think Thailand has gone off over the past 10 years. Even friends who visit here once a year for the past 25 years have all started to think it’s changed for the worse and starting to look elsewhere. They feel customer services isn’t what it once was and the Thai smiles don’t seem as genuine anymore (we’re they ever?). Certainly for many from Europe and the U.K. things aren’t as value for money as they once were also. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt? But yes, I can’t disagree with you that I’ve seen too much of the dark side of this place and seen it basically go nowhere in 25 years.  I’m hoping for a change following the elections in May, but I doubt I’ll notice much?  

I think the vast majority of my customer service interactions are great

But yes, I've encountered more surliness than in the past in the last 5 years

The "Thai smile " which I still get in abundance (a lady yesterday was thrilled that I simply said "song" when I wanted to get 2 prices of chicken at her stall)

But I was never one to concern myself with the Thai smile or the fake ass kissing 

As for me personally 

I get on better now in Thailand in the last few years than ever because of me.

I've changed and I don't worry about many of the small things I would in the past 

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

As for me personally 

I've changed and I don't worry about many of the small things I would in the past 

You're just getting old 🤓

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Well as I’ve said before, maybe that “honeymoon” feeling you get when things are new will last you for the couple of months or even the first year or two you live long term in Thailand. After 5-20 years you may start to feel differently? Not everyone does, but many do and they are not wrong to feel that way. I’m betting that up to 50% of long term expats would ship out tomorrow if they suddenly won £5 million on the lottery. 

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Not exactly the Thai smile 

But it made me smile 

We stayed at a great local resort on the river in my wife's village

One day we were out and I went back to the resort solo

And decided I wanted a cappuccino at the restaurant and sit by the river

I walked in and it was only the kitchen staff and I asked her if I could have a cappuccino 

She looked at me with fear in her eyes and said "one moment "

I said no worries and went to sit down

I saw her make a call and when they answered all she said was "Farang Cappuccino!" 5555

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Not exactly the Thai smile 

But it made me smile 

We stayed at a great local resort on the river in my wife's village

One day we were out and I went back to the resort solo

And decided I wanted a cappuccino at the restaurant and sit by the river

I walked in and it was only the kitchen staff and I asked her if I could have a cappuccino 

She looked at me with fear in her eyes and said "one moment "

I said no worries and went to sit down

I saw her make a call and when they answered all she said was "Farang Cappuccino!" 5555

Yes, always fun to watch the people in rural 7/11’s shake with fear when you walk up to the counter and start talking to them 😂

The trick seems to be to split or emphasise the syllables and emphasise the end of the word:

Cappu-Chi-know with a rising tone 

Straw-berriee with a rising tone. 

Makes life interesting 😂😂

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

You have been beaten down to the Thai norm of compliance with no genuine self respect... just window dressing wei and a smile... 555

48 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well as I’ve said before, maybe that “honeymoon” feeling you get when things are new will last you for the couple of months or even the first year or two you live long term in Thailand. After 5-20 years you may start to feel differently? Not everyone does, but many do and they are not wrong to feel that way. I’m betting that up to 50% of long term expats would ship out tomorrow if they suddenly won £5 million on the lottery. 

Well I do think many expats jump into Thailand very quick

I'm almost 20yrs in and am just now starting to figure out I can retire there

Although I will always spend 3-4months outside Thailand regardless 

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Well I do think many expats jump into Thailand very quick

I'm almost 20yrs in and am just now starting to figure out I can retire there

Although I will always spend 3-4months outside Thailand regardless 

Well that’s exactly what I do. I spend 3-4 months in Thailand followed by 1-2 months back in the U.K.  In some ways it helps, but in others I actually think it hinders settling better. It very much depends on your character and no one person is the same.

The continual transition from “normality” back to a very different world can be both exciting and at the same time stressful. As people get older, I also see their thoughts turn to the inevitable. Questions around long term health care. What will happen if I need long term care? Where do I wish to die? Do I miss my children and grandchildren? Will the poor air in Thailand help my COPD?  Will my pension payments increase? Will I still be shuffling along to immigration every 90 days when I’m 90? Will the woman I’m with who is 35 years younger than me still be with me when I’m 80 and she’s 45? 

As I say, no one size fits all and the main thing is to stay in control, always have a “Plan B” and enjoy life. It’s far too short not to. 

52 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes, always fun to watch the people in rural 7/11’s shake with fear when you walk up to the counter and start talking to them 😂

The trick seems to be to split or emphasise the syllables and emphasise the end of the word:

Cappu-Chi-know with a rising tone 

Straw-berriee with a rising tone. 

Makes life interesting 😂😂

Try it with a Scottish accent 🙄

• Haha 1