News Forum - First time in Thailand!? Don’t take a taxi! Do this instead…

Thaiger

If you’re planning a trip to Bangkok, one of the things you may be worried about is transportation. After all, the city is known for its traffic congestion and sometimes chaotic roads. However, there are several transportation options available that can make getting around Bangkok easy and convenient. One of the most popular transportation options …

The story First time in Thailand!? Don’t take a taxi! Do this instead… as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It doesn't matter whether first time or regular.....Just avoid all these taxi in BKK. 99.9% of the times you will be ripped off by the taxi operators.  

8 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It doesn't matter whether first time or regular.....Just avoid all these taxi in BKK. 99.9% of the times you will be ripped off by the taxi operators.  

That is simply false

In the vast areas outside Sukhumvit and near the Grand Palace there was zero issue getting a taxi with meter on 

On lower Suk and Grand Palace it wss hard, harder than I've ever experienced 

But still got meter after 5-6x asking 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raugh said:

yeah, not sure what people's problem is with taxis.

Never had a problem or bad experience.

You are either extraordinarily lucky - or every con-man's dream mark. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well almost every ride was in a taxi with the meter running :)

other times the women i was with would negotiate the ride and i just paid and went to the next watering hole...maybe....is 100 THB a lot? Was i ripped off!

TBH i usually walk or take mass transport like BTS or MRT which is so nice

I’d say 10%-20% of the time there is some issue. Either won’t put the meter on, fail to stop, won’t take you to where you want to go, taxi is worn out or the driver is. Rest of the time it goes reasonably well.

I know it’s wrong to compare, but I do often feel sorry for some of these Issan drivers with their worn out shiny trousers and frayed collared shirts driving 25km and picking up 300 baht (£7).  When I was back in England I ordered an Uber to my local boozer that’s about 5km away and was priced at £10 or 410 baht. Like I say, it’s wrong to compare for all kinds of reasons but I’m happy to pay the off meter price from BKk to Suvarnabhumi for 500 baht including tolls, than haggle for the metre which with toll is around 400 baht anyway.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raugh said:

yeah, not sure what people's problem is with taxis.

Never had a problem or bad experience.

Neither have I. But I've heard this nonsense about taxi ripoffs ever since discovering Thailand. It is most likely petty squabbling over insignificant things. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’d say 10%-20% of the time there is some issue.

And what would be the average dollar amounts in question when there are these issues? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’d say 10%-20% of the time there is some issue. Either won’t put the meter on, fail to stop, won’t take you to where you want to go, taxi is worn out or the driver is. Rest of the time it goes reasonably well.

I know it’s wrong to compare, but I do often feel sorry for some of these Issan drivers with their worn out shiny trousers and frayed collared shirts driving 25km and picking up 300 baht (£7).  When I was back in England I ordered an Uber to my local boozer that’s about 5km away and was priced at £10 or 410 baht. Like I say, it’s wrong to compare for all kinds of reasons but I’m happy to pay the off meter price from BKk to Suvarnabhumi for 500 baht including tolls, than haggle for the metre which with toll is around 400 baht anyway.  

As I said in another lower Suk was definitely worse than I ever experienced where 4 or 5 in a row wouldn't turn on meter 

We finally paid 150 baht to go to Thonglor 

Which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things 

And why not compare?

Part of the allure of Thailand is it can be cheaper than back home

We went out for live music last night

4 of us ate, my wife ordered a bottle of whiskey and I had 5 big beers and our drinks were made/poured for us

It came to 3200 baht and my wife was worried

I said we spend more than night for just 2 of us to go out back home

I have never had a problem with taxi in Bangkok.

I asked for the price before hopping on. If the fixed price is reasonable then I will go ahead.

If not I will just asks the taxi behind to turn on meter or negotiate another better price.

• Like 2

This is a paid advertisement for the train company... what they do not understand is that more people would use their service if it were just clearly marked out how to when one arrives at the airports... better spent dollars or baht

6 hours ago, socal said:

And what would be the average dollar amounts in question when there are these issues? 

I’m unsure what it is you are asking. Dollar amounts for what? For a cab being past it? 

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And why not compare?

Part of the allure of Thailand is it can be cheaper than back home

It’s only wrong to compare in the sense that the operating costs of Thailand to back home are complex and not like for like. Most taxis run on LPG in Thailand and the fuel is subsidised by government. Health and safety regulations are more stringent back home. Salaries are much higher. Benefits such as sick leave and holidays are different. Etc etc. It’s wrong to simply say Thailand is cheaper and not appreciate the negative aspects to the driver and wider society in Thailand that gets you those cheaper prices.

As you say, part of the allure is cheaper prices, but that’s not necessarily a success or a good thing for the Thai people. We get it cheap at a cost to someone else. 

8 hours ago, socal said:

Probably about one pound three shillings and sixpence. 😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s only wrong to compare in the sense that the operating costs of Thailand to back home are complex and not like for like. Most taxis run on LPG in Thailand and the fuel is subsidised by government. Health and safety regulations are more stringent back home. Salaries are much higher. Benefits such as sick leave and holidays are different. Etc etc. It’s wrong to simply say Thailand is cheaper and not appreciate the negative aspects to the driver and wider society in Thailand that gets you those cheaper prices.

As you say, part of the allure is cheaper prices, but that’s not necessarily a success or a good thing for the Thai people. We get it cheap at a cost to someone else. 

"It’s wrong to simply say Thailand is cheaper and not appreciate the negative aspects to the driver and wider society in Thailand that gets you those cheaper prices."

Does that mean we have to spend the rest of our lives feeling guilty or sorry?

Eating a meal and feeling sorry for the poor farmers who grew the rice.

Walking down the street feeling sorry for the poor people in a third-world county who made the shoes.

In every aspect of life, we would have to feel guilty or sorry.

We are farangs with no rights or voice in Thailand, we are welcome here as long as we can pay our way so just enjoy it. 

At least Thai people will have instant access to free medical care if anything goes wrong, we will have to pay for that ourselves so who is worse off?

33 minutes ago, JamesR said:

"It’s wrong to simply say Thailand is cheaper and not appreciate the negative aspects to the driver and wider society in Thailand that gets you those cheaper prices."

Does that mean we have to spend the rest of our lives feeling guilty or sorry?

Eating a meal and feeling sorry for the poor farmers who grew the rice.

Walking down the street feeling sorry for the poor people in a third-world county who made the shoes.

In every aspect of life, we would have to feel guilty or sorry.

We are farangs with no rights or voice in Thailand, we are welcome here as long as we can pay our way so just enjoy it. 

At least Thai people will have instant access to free medical care if anything goes wrong, we will have to pay for that ourselves so who is worse off?

Having an appreciation or some empathy with a taxi driver doesn’t mean you have to feel sorry or guilty about it. I just think it helps when things go wrong that we don’t assume everything operates as it does in more developed countries. If a taxi driver in the U.K. tires to rip me off for £2 extra on a fare I would have no sympathy and be prepared to see the person fired. If a taxi driver does it in Thailand I still think it’s wrong, but understanding the situation the person is perhaps in makes me less prepared to get angry or upset about it. 

You quoted the example of walking down the street feeling sorry about the person in a third world country who made them. Thi is not the same as a taxi driver. I don’t get to meet the person in the shoe factory. If I did then perhaps I’d feel sympathy. A taxi driver is up front and personal and hence the empathy is stronger. 

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Having an appreciation or some empathy with a taxi driver doesn’t mean you have to feel sorry or guilty about it. I just think it helps when things go wrong that we don’t assume everything operates as it does in more developed countries. If a taxi driver in the U.K. tires to rip me off for £2 extra on a fare I would have no sympathy and be prepared to see the person fired. If a taxi driver does it in Thailand I still think it’s wrong, but understanding the situation the person is perhaps in makes me less prepared to get angry or upset about it. 

You quoted the example of walking down the street feeling sorry about the person in a third world country who made them. Thi is not the same as a taxi driver. I don’t get to meet the person in the shoe factory. If I did then perhaps I’d feel sympathy. A taxi driver is up front and personal and hence the empathy is stronger. 

I am off to Makro later on today, I won't bother counting the change as the poor girl working at the till deserves an extra two quid. 😃

I have just realized, after all of this time, when I shop at Lotus (ex-Tesco) and Makro all the cashiers are female, and most of the shelve stackers are women.

Oh and all of the forklift truck drivers in Makro are male.

What a sexist country. 😆

7 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I am off to Makro later on today, I won't bother counting the change as the poor girl working at the till deserves an extra two quid. 😃

I have just realized, after all of this time, when I shop at Lotus (ex-Tesco) and Makro all the cashiers are female, and most of the shelve stackers are women.

Oh and all of the forklift truck drivers in Makro are male.

What a sexist country. 😆

Why would you not bother about the £2 extra. When did I suggest you shouldn’t bother about being ripped off? 

Im unsure what the sexist comment is referenced to? Maybe you meant to reply to another post? 

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Why would you not bother about the £2 extra. When did I suggest you shouldn’t bother about being ripped off? 

If a taxi driver in the U.K. tires to rip me off for £2 extra on a fare I would have no sympathy and be prepared to see the person fired. If a taxi driver does it in Thailand I still think it’s wrong, but understanding the situation the person is perhaps in makes me less prepared to get angry or upset about it. 

Because you said......

" If a taxi driver in the U.K. tires to rip me off for £2 extra on a fare I would have no sympathy and be prepared to see the person fired. If a taxi driver does it in Thailand I still think it’s wrong, but understanding the situation the person is perhaps in makes me less prepared to get angry or upset about it. "

I took it to mean you do not mind.

My second statement was just in passing really, as I was writing the word 'Makro' it popped into my head that all cashiers here are female, not much to it really.

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I took it to mean you do not mind.

Of course I mind people trying to rip me off. It’s just I can appreciate the urge of the Thai cabbie more than the U.K. one. I’d still be furious and refuse to pay it if I noticed. 

Yes I agree about the roles people play in society here. Wouldn’t be allowed in the U.K.  I’m reminded of a story I saw the other day in the U.K. press where people were apparently “outraged” by Bob Geldorf repeatedly misgendering Sam Smith on live TV  I couldn’t help but think FFS! I’m sure it will get like that in Thailand one day but I hope not in my lifetime 😂

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Of course I mind people trying to rip me off. It’s just I can appreciate the urge of the Thai cabbie more than the U.K. one. I’d still be furious and refuse to pay it if I noticed. 

Yes I agree about the roles people play in society here. Wouldn’t be allowed in the U.K.  I’m reminded of a story I saw the other day in the U.K. press where people were apparently “outraged” by Bob Geldorf repeatedly misgendering Sam Smith on live TV  I couldn’t help but think FFS! I’m sure it will get like that in Thailand one day but I hope not in my lifetime 😂

I know what you are saying

And I think you mean it in the scenario where they don't want to turn on the meter and in the end, will cost you £2

And I agree

But then I'm now at our house in Nonthaburi, all local of course 

And you just raise your hand and a taxi picks you up with none the meter nonsense

So even though I don't let the lower Suk taxis bug me

It's a pleasure when you don't have to deal with it 

• Like 1

That’s exactly what I mean. I know that the meter with tolls and a mean tip from central Bangkok to the airport will cost around 400-450 baht. I certainly can’t be bothered with the hassle of I’m offered 500 (£12) baht off the meter for a 30km journey. I would have a problem with a U.K. cabbie asking for £20 off meter for a 5km journey. One feels like desperation of survival while the other feels like daylight robbery! 

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

You are horrible to poor cabbies.😆

I always thought Sam Smith the singer was a bloke?

Has he 're-genderd' himself somehow?

''It has not got that way'' anywhere I don't think except on TV where the fame and fortune of the participants is dependent on their polictal correctness.

People in the street, the real people of the country will not wast time on all that stuff.

It makes me laugh here as people just do as they please, people in the West think they are being progressive but Thailand has been 'getting on with it' for decades.

For example you can go into Lotus and the cashier might be a bloke with lipstick and makeup, another person might be a bloke in a dress with all the ''bits and pieces'' replaced. 

I think it is great, to me anyone can be anyone they like but I don't like all the politicizing of it all.

In the future, everyone on TV might have to call each other 'it' as that is totally gender-neutral.🤪 

P.S. If the cashier is a bloke in a dress should I still let them nick two quid of my money? 😆

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

You are horrible to poor cabbies.😆

I always thought Sam Smith the singer was a bloke?

Has he 're-genderd' himself somehow?

''It has not got that way'' anywhere I don't think except on TV where the fame and fortune of the participants is dependent on their polictal correctness.

People in the street, the real people of the country will not wast time on all that stuff.

It makes me laugh here as people just do as they please, people in the West think they are being progressive but Thailand has been 'getting on with it' for decades.

For example you can go into Lotus and the cashier might be a bloke with lipstick and makeup, another person might be a bloke in a dress with all the ''bits and pieces'' replaced. 

I think it is great, to me anyone can be anyone they like but I don't like all the politicizing of it all.

In the future, everyone on TV might have to call each other 'it' as that is totally gender-neutral.🤪 

P.S. If the cashier is a bloke in a dress should I still let them nick two quid of my money? 😆

We went out to watch live music in Nonthaburi 

Our server was a fantastic ladyboy

And I was thinking similar to your thoughts 

I don't even think the bar even thought for 2 seconds that they were a ladyboy 

They just hired someone they thought was good for the job 

Whereas in the West they'd want to be congratulated for hiring them

• Like 1