News Forum - Things to know about Thai culture

Thaiger

Thailand’s culture is a mixture of traditions and religions that all come together to form a unique and vibrant society. Here are a few things to know about Thai culture that will help anyone landing in the Land of Smiles get around and mix with the locals. Family Thai people typically consider family to be …

The story Things to know about Thai culture as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 2

Living in 3 different major cities in US/Canada as well as both sides of the continent, I see zero difference between attititudes toward 'family"

Well with the exception Thai families can be more of a burden, a lot of times

And I dispute the "no worries attitude

Thais have a nice playful demeanor, but I wouldn't say their overall attitude is "no worries"

• Like 1

"remember that not everyone adheres to societal expectations."

So true ..😆😆😆

StopPress!

Unlike all other countries Thai people value their families. A smile might not mean they're happy.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

In Thai culture, everyone has a designated status. Titles are very important and are said before anyone’s name to show respect.
‘Pi’ before any name indicates that the person is of a higher status than the person speaking.
‘Nong’ before anyone’s name indicates someone is younger or holds a lesser status than the person addressing them.
Age, family connections, job types, education and income levels all contribute to one’s status or class in Thailand. However, Thai status’ can change, and is not fixed.

The ‘Pi’ and ‘Nong’ reference above is interesting.
I remember asking my last Thai teacher specifically whether it was down to age and status as well?
He thought for a second and said it was purely age and not status (royal family excepted).

Regarding status, or cynically anyone in a minor government position, they tend to be 'held in awe' by ordinary Thais, and they won't argue back or ask them difficult questions that might cause them to 'lose face'. Something I have no problem with, especially questioning doctors about ailments and treatment.

I remember the Black Panther saga about five years ago, when the owner of Ital Thai was caught shooting and eating a wild animal.
The senior police officer who was talking to him, kept referring to the owner as ‘Pi’ . My teacher said it would have been purely down to age.
As this came from a Thai, I just accepted it.

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

The ‘Pi’ and ‘Nong’ reference above is interesting.
I remember asking my last Thai teacher specifically whether it was down to age and status as well?
He thought for a second and said it was purely age and not status (royal family excepted).

Regarding status, or cynically anyone in a minor government position, they tend to be 'held in awe' by ordinary Thais, and they won't argue back or ask them difficult questions that might cause them to 'lose face'. Something I have no problem with, especially questioning doctors about ailments and treatment.

I remember the Black Panther saga about five years ago, when the owner of Ital Thai was caught shooting and eating a wild animal.
The senior police officer who was talking to him, kept referring to the owner as ‘Pi’ . My teacher said it would have been purely down to age.
As this came from a Thai, I just accepted it.

I don't know if it is only age

All the girls at my wife's work call me Pi Paul 

Even when referring to me amongst themselves, not just addressing me

There is one other farang husband that is around

Matt is 37, so older than a lot of the girls

But they just call him Mattl

I'm 51yrs old

So maybe it is still age 

They use Pi with me because I'm that much older than Matt

14 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't know if it is only age

All the girls at my wife's work call me Pi Paul 

Even when referring to me amongst themselves, not just addressing me

There is one other farang husband that is around

Matt is 37, so older than a lot of the girls

But they just call him Mattl

I'm 51yrs old

So maybe it is still age 

They use Pi with me because I'm that much older than Matt

I'm guessing Matti has a Thai wife as well?

Yes, I can follow they'll still refer to you as Pi Paul between themselves, especially if you're older than those who are referring to you.