News Forum - Truck smoke targeted over PM2.5 pollution

Thaiger

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has announced that they are ramping up efforts to control fine dust pollution in Bangkok and surrounding areas by increasing their scrutiny of public transport vehicles and trucks emitting smoke. The PCD Director-General stated that worsening PM2.5 pollution levels in the capital and its surroundings are partly caused by public …

The story Truck smoke targeted over PM2.5 pollution as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Regurgitated story that is announced yearly to look good.

What did they do last year and the year before?

The same they are doing this year. Nothing.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, palooka said:

Regurgitated story that is announced yearly to look good.

What did they do last year and the year before?

The same they are doing this year. Nothing.

Beat me to it. It’s the same old BS year after year. Nothing ever changes and it never will. You may as well have a news story about the sun rising in the East. 

• Like 2

Around Khon kaen, Kalsin farmers burn their used rice fields twice a year. Fields are burning all around, the smoke is so big and thick that sometimes cars have to slow down due to limited visibility. EVERYONE can see it except the police and the government. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stapoz said:

Around Khon kaen, Kalsin farmers burn their used rice fields twice a year. Fields are burning all around, the smoke is so big and thick that sometimes cars have to slow down due to limited visibility. EVERYONE can see it except the police and the government. 

Same across all of the northern and eastern provinces, including central rice-growing lowlands.  But the 'pollution' in Bangkok (and Chiang Mai city) is exacerbated by vehicle exhaust .

• Like 3

When getting my 20 year old vehicle inspected for annual road tax/registration the past few years, the guys stick a probe up my truck's exhaust to check emissions, but I can't recall seeing them do that in the several years prior, and I tend to stand around outside to watch the entire process.  Never had a problem with any of the checks (so far) but I do wonder how some of the vehicles I see on the road here pass that inspection; perhaps a backhander or they just don't bother with registration and insurance.  You know the vehicle...... Farmer John clinging to the steering wheel of a beat up 1987 Mitsu Space Cab pick up truck, a look of utter concentration on his face as he drives down the highway at 40kph, window down in the dead of summer 'cause the a/c doesn't work, 7 people in the back dressed like Ninjas against the sun, pointing and smiling at me, "Farang!  Farang!".  🛻💨  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TWS60 said:

annual road tax/registration the past few years, the guys stick a probe up my truck's exhaust to check emissions

What do they do when there is no exhaust pipe?

Pass it of course, you cannot fail something that cannot be tested. 😂

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:28 PM, TWS60 said:

When getting my 20 year old vehicle inspected for annual road tax/registration the past few years, the guys stick a probe up my truck's exhaust to check emissions

I've had the car for over 6 years and no one has ever checked it. Every year I visit a Toyota dealership and pay my annual road tax to get a windshield sticker. And that's all I have to do about my car inspection.

6 hours ago, stapoz said:

I've had the car for over 6 years and no one has ever checked it. Every year I visit a Toyota dealership and pay my annual road tax to get a windshield sticker. And that's all I have to do about my car inspection.

Seem to recall annual inspection isn't required for vehicles up to 7-years old (I think it's 7).  

Didn't realize a car dealership could organize the government registration/road tax payment beyond the initial purchase phase (red plates).   Insurance, yes.  For several years after we bought a new SUV from a BKK Toyota dealership, continued buying 1st class insurance coverage through them, but once we got the new policy docs in the mail, visited our local DLT office to pay the Portabo insurance fee and annual registration/road tax.  Would have been nice to know Toyota could have done it all for us in one go.  Wife is pretty switched on, surprised she didn't know that, or that the Toyota agent never mentioned it.  Huh.