News Forum - Unexpected challenges of owning a vacation home in Thailand

Thaiger

Considering buying a vacation home in Thailand? If so, you are in for an exciting journey! The land of smiles has long been a popular destination for tourists who want their own slice of paradise. But before you sign on the dotted line, it’s important to understand the challenges that come with owning property in …

The story Unexpected challenges of owning a vacation home in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I find that there are tons of Bangkok Thai who have vacation holiday and weekend homes in CM. I the foreinger wants here then it is not so hard if it is a condo or has the proper long term lease for a house.

That was along intro to an advertisement! 

90% of what is stated would apply to any country you buy a holiday home in, including in your own country. 

One that wasn’t stated was security. Unless the property is used regularly or there is on-site security, then people will soon notice it sits empty and a target for theft. Once again Thailand is not alone in that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

That was along intro to an advertisement! 

90% of what is stated would apply to any country you buy a holiday home in, including in your own country. 

One that wasn’t stated was security. Unless the property is used regularly or there is on-site security, then people will soon notice it sits empty and a target for theft. Once again Thailand is not alone in that. 

For me it would be upkeep........the humidity beats the shit out of structures in Thailand

So especially if it were a proper house and left unattended for awhile.....that would be my biggest concern

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

For me it would be upkeep........the humidity beats the shit out of structures in Thailand

So especially if it were a proper house and left unattended for awhile.....that would be my biggest concern

As long as you visit once a year and fix it up. If you are wealthy enough you can have your own team to take care of it. 

I have a home in England and in Holland. These cold and wet Northern European climates can be just as brutal. The quality of buildings and building regulations usually ensure noting too significant goes wrong. In Thailand just about anything could happen, including total collapse!