News Forum - Pop singer Justin Bieber sells song rights for a cool US $200 million

Thaiger

Pop singer Justin Bieber has reportedly sold his song rights for a cool US$200 million.  Now, Hipgnosis Songs Capital will be the new owner of such international hits as “Baby” and “Sorry.” Agence France-Presse reported the sale amount, but Hipgnosis is staying tight-lipped for now. According to the BBC, the company has also acquired Bieber’s …

The story Pop singer Justin Bieber sells song rights for a cool US $200 million as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It never ceases to amaze me how the public has no disgust for people like Floyd Mayweather earning $1.1 Billion in his career for being able to bludgeon someone else, or Peter Jackson's $560 earnings in just 2021 or in this case $200 million for song writes.  But in the next moment, chastize a business person who studied hard, got into a top business school, through performance rose to the top of his/her company and makes a multi million dollar salary running a company generating billions in profits and on whose success rides the employment of tens of thousands of people.  It is as they believe only a select few can bludgeon another human or through God's grace be granted the gift of song but a trained monkey can run a fortune 500 company. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how the public has no disgust for people like Floyd Mayweather earning $1.1 Billion in his career for being able to bludgeon someone else, or Peter Jackson's $560 earnings in just 2021 or in this case $200 million for song writes.  But in the next moment, chastize a business person who studied hard, got into a top business school, through performance rose to the top of his/her company and makes a multi million dollar salary running a company generating billions in profits and on whose success rides the employment of tens of thousands of people.  It is as they believe only a select few can bludgeon another human or through God's grace be granted the gift of song but a trained monkey can run a fortune 500 company. 

Your disdain towards Mayweather and other athletes/entertainers is misdirected. The purse for his fights would be zilch if it wasn’t for the adoring masses. He’s just doing what he does and it turns out there’s a lucrative market for that. 

As for the self made billionaires; they are a broad church- some are lauded by the general public such as Branson and Buffet. Some are vilified such as Gates and the Koch brothers. The latter examples for divergent reasons.

As a general rule of thumb, how the super wealthy are viewed by the public has a lot to do with their level of philanthropy and their capacity to manage their public image.

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

I think you lice in an imaginary world where everything is a gripe

But that's what most right wingers are like 

On 1/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, Khunmark said:

Your disdain towards Mayweather and other athletes/entertainers is misdirected. The purse for his fights would be zilch if it wasn’t for the adoring masses. He’s just doing what he does and it turns out there’s a lucrative market for that. 

You miss the point.  I don't have disdain for Mayweather, atheletes or entertainers.  They are being paid based on what the marketplace says they are worth.  The same is true of Fortune 500 executives.  There is no gun to the head of companies to pay millions to a CEO.  

What I find hypocritical is that the general public has no outrage that Floyd Mayweather possesses the sole talent to beat someone elses brains in and somehow that is worth over $1 billion. 

However by contrast let someone study hard, get the grades required to get into a top business school, obtrain their degree and through performance in a company rise to the top of the firm, that generates billions in profits and employes hundreds of thousands of people, their skill is somehow worth only a pittance compared to Kim Kardashian.  

There are 130,000 actors in the screen actors guild.  There are 1,057 players in Major League Baseball.  There are 1,696 players in the National Football League.  

However there are only 500 Fortune 500 companies.  These people are the best of the best, but somehow the public believes that a trained monkey could do the job but if someone can jump through the air and dunk a basketball well that has extreme worth.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

You miss the point.  I don't have disdain for Mayweather, atheletes or entertainers.  They are being paid based on what the marketplace says they are worth.  The same is true of Fortune 500 executives.  There is no gun to the head of companies to pay millions to a CEO.  

What I find hypocritical is that the general public has no outrage that Floyd Mayweather possesses the sole talent to beat someone elses brains in and somehow that is worth over $1 billion. 

However by contrast let someone study hard, get the grades required to get into a top business school, obtrain their degree and through performance in a company rise to the top of the firm, that generates billions in profits and employes hundreds of thousands of people, their skill is somehow worth only a pittance compared to Kim Kardashian.  

There are 130,000 actors in the screen actors guild.  There are 1,057 players in Major League Baseball.  There are 1,696 players in the National Football League.  

However there are only 500 Fortune 500 companies.  These people are the best of the best, but somehow the public believes that a trained monkey could do the job but if someone can jump through the air and dunk a basketball well that has extreme worth.  

Where exactly is this public outrage? Of course some will always have a gripe and it is a fact that CEO pay in the US is outrageously higher than in other countries

But go down this list and tell me where is the outrage? Most are celebrated

The only ones really critcized are bank, oil and airline CEO's and you could make the argument to criticize all of those 3 industries............

Although the #1 bank CEO is highly celebrated........

Best CEOs In The World Of 2022

Rank Chief Executive Officer Company Country
1 Tim Cook Apple US
2 Satya Nadella Microsoft US
3 Sundar Pichai Alphabet (Google) US
4 Andy Jassy Amazon US
5 Elon Musk Tesla US
6 Mark Zuckerberg Meta (Facebook) US
7 Warren Buffett Berkshire Hathaway US
8 Dr. C.C. Wei TSMC Taiwan
9 Jensen Huang Nvidia US
10 Alfred F Kelly Jr Visa Inc. US
11 Jamie Dimon JPMorgan Chase US
12 Alex Gorsky Johnson & Johnson US
13 Doug McMillon Walmart US
14 Bernard Arnault LVMH France
15 Brian Moynihan Bank of America US
16 Ulf Mark Schneider Nestle Switzerland
17 Michael Miebach Mastercard US
18 David S. Taylor Procter & Gamble US
19 Andrew Witty UnitedHealth Group US
20 Amin H. Nasser Saudi Aramco Saudi Arabia
21 Ma Huateng Tencent China
22 Craig Menear Home Depot US
23 Daniel Zhang Alibaba China
24 Severin Schwan Roche Switzerland
25 Darren Woods Exxon Mobil US
26 Albert Bourla Pfizer US
27 Peter Wennink ASML Holding Netherlands
28 Akio Toyoda Toyota Japan
29 James Quincey Coca-Cola US
30 Bob Chapek Walt Disney US
31 Shantanu Narayen Adobe US
32 Michael Wirth Chevron Corporation US
33 Ramon Laguarta Pepsi US
34 Chuck Robbins Cisco Systems US
35 Richard A. Gonzalez AbbVie US
36 John Donahoe Nike US
37 David A. Ricks Eli Lilly US
38 Brian L. Roberts Comcast Corporation US
39 Marc N. Casper Thermo Fisher Scientific US
40 Tan Hock Eng Broadcom US
41 Hans Vestberg Verizon Communications US
42 Nicolas Hieronimus LOreal France
43 Safra Catz Oracle US
44 Marc Benioff Salesforce US
45 Robert Ford Abbott Laboratories US
46 Lars Fruergaard Jorgensen Novo Nordisk Denmark
47 Walter Craig Jelinek Costco US
48 Mukesh Ambani Reliance India
49 Julie Sweet Accenture Ireland
50 Patrick P. Gelsinger Intel Corporation US
51 Charles W. Scharf Wells Fargo US
52 Robert M. Davis Merck US
53 Rainer M. Blair Danaher Corporation US
54 Cristiano Amon Qualcomm US
55 Rajesh Gopinathan Tata Consultancy Services India
56 Vasant (Vas) Narasimhan Novartis Switzerland
57 Dan Schulman PayPal US
58 Christopher John Kempczinski McDonald US
59 John T. Stankey AT&T US
60 Ben van Beurden Shell Netherlands
61 Carol B. Tome United Parcel Service US
62 Pascal Soriot AstraZeneca UK
63 Bob van Dijk Prosus Netherlands
64 James P. Gorman Morgan Stanley US
65 Reed Hastings/Ted Sarandos Netflix US
66 Walter W Bettinger II Charles Schwab US
67 Mike Henry BHP Australia
68 Rich Templeton Texas Instruments US
69 David I. McKay Royal Bank of Canada Canada
70 Steve Angel Linde plc Ireland
71 James L Robo NextEra Energy US
72 Christian Klein SAP Germany
73 Lance M. Fritz Union Pacific Railroad US
74 Marvin Ellison Lowes US
75 Jacek Olczak Philip Morris US
76 Axel Dumas Hermes France
77 Sasan K. Goodarzi Intuit US
78 Patrick Pouyanne TotalEnergies France
79 Bharat Masrani Toronto-Dominion Bank Canada
80 Geoffrey S. Martha Medtronic Ireland
81 Darius Adamczyk Honeywell US
82 Lisa Su Advanced Micro Devices US
83 Noel Paul Quinn HSBC Holdings UK
84 Kenichiro Yoshida Sony Group Japan
85 Alan Jope Unilever PLC UK
86 Giovanni Caforio Bristol Myers Squibb US
87 Karen S. Lynch CVS Health US
88 Michael Sievert T-Mobile US US
89 Pietro Beccari Dior France
90 Gregory J. Hayes Raytheon US
91 Roland Busch Siemens Germany
92 Paul Hudson Sanofi France
93 Robert A. Bradway Amgen US
94 Sashidhar Jagdishan HDFC Bank India
95 Jane Fraser Citigroup US
96 Gary E. Dickerson Applied Materials US
97 Stephen Squeri American Express US
98 Herbert Diess Volkswagen Germany
99 Jakob Stausholm Rio Tinto UK
100 Dave Calhoun Boeing US

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

let someone study hard, get the grades required to get into a top business school, obtrain their degree and through performance in a company rise to the top of the firm, that generates billions in profits and employes hundreds of thousands of people, their skill is somehow worth only a pittance compared to Kim Kardashian. 

The issue that most people have in criticizing those well-paid CEOs and execs is that they are making hundreds, if not thousands of times more money than lower level employees in the same company.  So, in essence, the CEO is getting rich off of the backs of the workers.  That's the complaint.

It has absolutely no logical connection to a prize fighter, an actor, or a performer.  It's comparing apples to durian.

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Where exactly is this public outrage? Of course some will always have a gripe and it is a fact that CEO pay in the US is outrageously higher than in other countries

Ok here is a litany of articles

CEOs made a median $20 million last year—254 times more ...

Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger CEO's pay as 'disgusting'

As said, I find it amazing that these same people never express any disgust over Floyd Mayweather earning $1.1 BILLION for beating someones brains in, or Kim Kardashian with zero skills of any kind now amassing a net worth of $1.8 BILLION.  I would sooner pay for the skills of an outstanding business person whose company generates billions in revenue and employs tens of thousands of people than say that the world would miss the contributions of Kim Kardashian,  or Ylian Mbappe.  The companies are what makes the economy grow, gives people jobs, and improves lives for the masses.  Perhaps you think that you would entrust that to the lowest paid executive but candidly I don't go for the cheapest heart surgeon, nor would I want the CEO of a company that my livlihood depended on to be bargain basement either. 

As a shareholder in many companies I care very little about what the CEO earns so long as the company is performing well.  No, I would not take any solice in having a poor performing company but saying, but Oh Well at least I got a cheap CEO, 

In terms of relative importance in this world, those who run businesses are a far more important component than someone who sings, dances, can throw a baseball, or dunk a basketball.  However just like you, who show disdain for what the CEO earns, seem to have no problem if someone can earn billions for just entertainment value. 

14 hours ago, MrStretch said:

The issue that most people have in criticizing those well-paid CEOs and execs is that they are making hundreds, if not thousands of times more money than lower level employees in the same company.  So, in essence, the CEO is getting rich off of the backs of the workers.  That's the complaint.

It has absolutely no logical connection to a prize fighter, an actor, or a performer.  It's comparing apples to durian.

Oh and Mayweather is not making thousands of times more than the trainer, or George Clooney is not making thousands of times more than the person filming him. Bull Pucky. 

As to your statement about the CEO getting wealthy off the backs of the workers.  I suggest you have it backwards.  The CEO is the captain of the ship.  If successful employees have jobs and wages.  If unsuccessful both he and the workers have none.  Instead of being thankful for the success of the company and the jobs it provides, the typical worker thinks that somehow they were the person instrumental in making the company successful.  The production employee can typically be replaced with a machine.  Not so with the person whose business sense has to make decisions on the operation of the company. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Oh and Mayweather is not making thousands of times more than the trainer, or George Clooney is not making thousands of times more than the person filming him. Bull Pucky. 

As to your statement about the CEO getting wealthy off the backs of the workers.  I suggest you have it backwards.  The CEO is the captain of the ship.  If successful employees have jobs and wages.  If unsuccessful both he and the workers have none.  Instead of being thankful for the success of the company and the jobs it provides, the typical worker thinks that somehow they were the person instrumental in making the company successful.  The production employee can typically be replaced with a machine.  Not so with the person whose business sense has to make decisions on the operation of the company. 

But again I provided you a list where almost all of those on that list are celebrated not vilified 

Believe me I am in a job that is vilified for being overpaid by the general public 

I get many people who have no idea what I actually  do take shots at me as a "banker"

But I get paid an exact % of the revenue I produce 

So I am not really one to go after anyone's compensation 

I just don't see the vilification of it that you seem to do

19 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I think you’re overplaying the hatred of wealthy CEOs line. And under appreciating the dedication and talent that is required to be a top entertainer. And it really doesn’t matter what you think in the eyes of Mayweather, et al anyway.

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

But again I provided you a list where almost all of those on that list are celebrated not vilified 

Believe me I am in a job that is vilified for being overpaid by the general public 

I get many people who have no idea what I actually  do take shots at me as a "banker"

But I get paid an exact % of the revenue I produce 

So I am not really one to go after anyone's compensation 

I just don't see the vilification of it that you seem to do

I don't villify anyone for what they make.  I believe the marketplace dictates what a person is worth.  However, in terms of negative comments I repeatedly see comments blasting the CEO's compensation but never a word about a hollywood actor, professional baseball player, professional soccer player.  It is like if you can sing, dance, act, or do something with a ball, then any amount of money is ok.  But if you operate with your brain and business acumen that is to be chastized. 

For those who say the CEO's are riding the back of the employees, consider, Bed, Bath & Beyond is floundering and may soon declare bankrupty.  If the success of the company is dependent on the employees are we to consider Bed Bath & Beyond's failure to be because of lousy employess or because of poor management.   General Motors, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, Sears, Texaco, Chrysler, all declared bankruptcy.  If success is due to the employees and the CEO's are just along for the ride, did the employees fail those companies or was management to blame.  I chose the latter. 

So if management gets the blame for failure alternatively it should get the credit when the company does well.  Apple which was one of the companies mentioned Tim Cook has a base salary of $3 million.  By contrast the AVERAGE salary in the NBA is $9.6 million with the highest being Damian Lillard at $63.2 million. 

Tim Cook CEO Apple :   Base salary: $3 million (No change) · Annual Cash Incentive: $6 million (No change) · Equity Award Value: $40 million. Down from $75 million in ...

So while I believe Cook is handsomely paid, relative to his importance to the largest company by market cap in the world and as a percentage of revenue he is woefully underpaid compared to someone who can merely put a ball through a hoop. 

I have no problem with whatever someone earns.  My original post merely declared I find it so indicative of class envy that business owners and CEO's get blasted for their compensation despite their importance and entertainers make far more and get a total pass by the public who seems to think that Kim Kardashian is easily worth the $1.8 billion net worth which mean she probably had to earn upwards of $3.5 billion to retain that much after taxes. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

I think you’re overplaying the hatred of wealthy CEOs line. And under appreciating the dedication and talent that is required to be a top entertainer. And it really doesn’t matter what you think in the eyes of Mayweather, et al anyway.

Well I can only comment that I have never even once seen public commentary blasting the money paid to a boxer, singer, actor, etc.  I see numerous public posts decrying what business owners and CEO's make.  While I can appreciate the talent required to be a top entertainer, that in no way diminishes the talent it takes to be a successful business owner or one of only 500 CEO's in the Fortune 500.  The 500 CEO's are far rarer air than actors, football players, professional baseball players, or NBA players.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Well I can only comment that I have never even once seen public commentary blasting the money paid to a boxer, singer, actor, etc.  I see numerous public posts decrying what business owners and CEO's make.  While I can appreciate the talent required to be a top entertainer, that in no way diminishes the talent it takes to be a successful business owner or one of only 500 CEO's in the Fortune 500.  The 500 CEO's are far rarer air than actors, football players, professional baseball players, or NBA players.  

At the risk of this discussion going in circles it was you who diminished the achievements of sports people. Nobody, in here at least, diminished the achievements of CEO’s. And you are using a false equivalence in your final sentence.

A fairer comparison would be either, all CEO’s and all professional sports people or fortune 500s and 500 top professional sports people. The later being the preferable because not all professional sports people or members of the actors guild command the sort of earnings we are talking about.

And if we are to agree on the latter metric then, no, the Fortune 500 CEO’s are not a rarer bird.

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

And if we are to agree on the latter metric then, no, the Fortune 500 CEO’s are not a rarer bird.

I beg to differ.  There are 975 players in Major League Baseball Alone.  Another 450 in the NBA, 1,696 in the NFL.  There are hundreds of actors and singers.  There are 832 players just in the World Cup Soccer Teams. 

So if you look at athletes you have Auto Racing, Football, Baseball, Soccer, Hockey, Tennis, Golf, Car Racing, Boxing, Rugby, and Cricket. 

So you literally have thousands of athletes and entertainers but only 500 Fortune 500 companies, ergo only the top 500 business people in the USA.  Much more rare.  

8 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I don't villify anyone for what they make.  I believe the marketplace dictates what a person is worth.  However, in terms of negative comments I repeatedly see comments blasting the CEO's compensation but never a word about a hollywood actor, professional baseball player, professional soccer player.  It is like if you can sing, dance, act, or do something with a ball, then any amount of money is ok.  But if you operate with your brain and business acumen that is to be chastized. 

For those who say the CEO's are riding the back of the employees, consider, Bed, Bath & Beyond is floundering and may soon declare bankrupty.  If the success of the company is dependent on the employees are we to consider Bed Bath & Beyond's failure to be because of lousy employess or because of poor management.   General Motors, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, Sears, Texaco, Chrysler, all declared bankruptcy.  If success is due to the employees and the CEO's are just along for the ride, did the employees fail those companies or was management to blame.  I chose the latter. 

So if management gets the blame for failure alternatively it should get the credit when the company does well.  Apple which was one of the companies mentioned Tim Cook has a base salary of $3 million.  By contrast the AVERAGE salary in the NBA is $9.6 million with the highest being Damian Lillard at $63.2 million. 

Tim Cook CEO Apple :   Base salary: $3 million (No change) · Annual Cash Incentive: $6 million (No change) · Equity Award Value: $40 million. Down from $75 million in ...

So while I believe Cook is handsomely paid, relative to his importance to the largest company by market cap in the world and as a percentage of revenue he is woefully underpaid compared to someone who can merely put a ball through a hoop. 

I have no problem with whatever someone earns.  My original post merely declared I find it so indicative of class envy that business owners and CEO's get blasted for their compensation despite their importance and entertainers make far more and get a total pass by the public who seems to think that Kim Kardashian is easily worth the $1.8 billion net worth which mean she probably had to earn upwards of $3.5 billion to retain that much after taxes. 

I think in the case of entertainers and athletes you can easily quantify their value vs the revenue generated

Plus both those industries are providing a source of happiness for people

As for Tim Cook

He's not even close to vilified

And yes, a bad CEO could hurt a comply but many competent CEO's could have taken the reins of Apple's already path to success and done what he's done.

So if you take Mayweather vs Tim Cook

Mayor generated that revenue 100% by himself basically or with another big name boxer 

So that's pretty easy for people to quantify

Tim Cook, again not ever really villifed, took and already Uber successfully company and didn't mess it up 

Plus add in that he and other CEO's so need the support of employee adds a bit of ambiguity to what they are actually worth

8 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Not really 

If you think about it, the entertainers you mentioned are the top of the top in sports and entertainment 

They are your "CEO's" of their field and there are far fewer of them than 500 CEO's

Not all entertainers and athletes are the "CEO's" of their teams or movie

And most CEO's that are criticized are the ones whose companies have a Negaunee impact on the company 

Again you don't really see Tech CEO's vilified for their compensation 

Or even multinational company CEO

You see airlines, bank, oil and pharmaceutical because a lot of times the public is negatively impacted by those industries 

6 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I beg to differ.  There are 975 players in Major League Baseball Alone.  Another 450 in the NBA, 1,696 in the NFL.  There are hundreds of actors and singers.  There are 832 players just in the World Cup Soccer Teams. 

So if you look at athletes you have Auto Racing, Football, Baseball, Soccer, Hockey, Tennis, Golf, Car Racing, Boxing, Rugby, and Cricket. 

So you literally have thousands of athletes and entertainers but only 500 Fortune 500 companies, ergo only the top 500 business people in the USA.  Much more rare.  

But as I pointed out only a small portion of them reach CEO level in sports and entertainment so your comparison is flawed

There are 1000's of executives in banking, oil, tech, etc as well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But as I pointed out only a small portion of them reach CEO level in sports and entertainment so your comparison is flawed

Yes there are, so but I am pointing deliberately to the top executives of the Fortune 500.  These are the ones who receive negative comments about their compensation.  They are the CEO's of America's largest corporations.  No different than the 975 players in Major League Baseball.  They have reached the pinnacle of their chosen occupation.  

There are tens of thousands of minor league and semi pro baseball players.  But my comparison was between the Mike Trouts who got a $426 million dollar contract for playing center field.  No negative comments.  However let a CEO of a Fortune 500 company get a similar compensation package and the CEO gets villified.  I don't have a problem with either.  It is the marketplace dictating what a person is worth. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Not all entertainers and athletes are the "CEO's" of their teams or movie

You really have trouble comprehending don't you.  I didn't say they were CEO's  I said that you have some athelete not even a superstar earning more than a CEO but it is the CEO of a company who gets villified and not the third baseman hitting .231 that does. 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think in the case of entertainers and athletes you can easily quantify their value vs the revenue generated

I disagree.  Tell me just how much revenue Mike Trout generated and your source for that.  His $426 million dollar contract what based solely on what the "Angels" perceived his worth to be and what another team might offer him for his services.  The same is true for CEO's.  The company pays them based solely on their perceived value and what other companies might offer them.  

One huge differece is that most CEO's compensation is incentive based.  They get those large payouts only if the company meets financial targets.  Not true with atheletes who get the majority of their money even if they are on the bench for non-performance. 

• Like 1