News Forum - Volunteer teaching English to underprivileged children in Bangkok

Thaiger

Bangkok Community Help Foundation runs a weekly volunteer-led class that aims to teach English and improve the lives of underprivileged children in the Klong Toei area of the city. Children learn new English vocabulary, play games, dance Zumba, and do arts and crafts projects in a fun environment. At the end of each class, students …

The story Volunteer teaching English to underprivileged children in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Both Thai and foreign volunteers help to run the class from a variety of backgrounds including students, professionals, and retirees.
New volunteers are always welcome and no teaching experience or Thai language ability is needed. However, Thai speakers are especially needed.

Straight question: Have work permit rules been abolished for volunteering now?
I know in the past there were foreigners who needed a WP to volunteer - even for no salary.

• Like 3

Had a local school that tried to get me to assist in English lessons for the students. 

Sadly, I showed the Director the restrictions of my visa and she was shocked. 

Heard the Thai work for stupid a few times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Had a local school that tried to get me to assist in English lessons for the students. 

Sadly, I showed the Director the restrictions of my visa and she was shocked. 

Heard the Thai work for stupid a few times.

That's two of us.
I was asked about doing the same about three or so years ago. When I said I would - for no salary as long as they provided me a WP, I heard no more.

• Like 1

As all above have indicated. Volunteer work is still work and hence not allowed unless you have a work permit. 

I think most Thais are unaware of almost  restrictions foreigners face in Thailand. It doesn’t affect them so why get animated about it. I think if they ever ban transfer of foreign funds from outside the country in to a Thai persons bank account, all hell would break loose! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think most Thais are unaware of almost  restrictions foreigners face in Thailand. It doesn’t affect them so why get animated about it. I think if they ever ban transfer of foreign funds from outside the country in to a Thai persons bank account, all hell would break loose! 

Would it be different in any other country?

My Canadian born co-workers don't have a clue about any immigrant issues I have working and living here

As for bank account transfers, I don't undestand

A Thai sending money to Thailand has the same restrictions(if any) that a foreigner would

You can also send money into a Thai persons bank account, for pretty much any amount......

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Would it be different in any other country?

My Canadian born co-workers don't have a clue about any immigrant issues I have working and living here

Im not talking about co-workers. I’m talking about wife’s and partners. When did you ever see any form of protest or action group set up by Thai wife’s to make the life of their foreign husband of 30 years any easier?  You still see 85 year old men traipsing off to Immigration offices for 90 day reporting. When does a Thai wife ever consider what happens to the family home should she die? 

So yes, it is different in many countries. I know if a Thai wife of a British citizen was being subjected to such behaviour in the U.K. there would be outrage if there were sufficient people affected. We can’t even deport illegal foreigners in the U.K. without some local action group taking their sides. Never happens in Thailand. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

As for bank account transfers, I don't undestand

I was meaning that if the foreigner were blocked from sending money to his Thai GF then all hell would break loose. In other words, they only get animated about things that bother them. Funny how they suddenly became aware of land ownership laws when the government tried to change it and potentially disadvantage the Thais. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Im not talking about co-workers. I’m talking about wife’s and partners. When did you ever see any form of protest or action group set up by Thai wife’s to make the life of their foreign husband of 30 years any easier?  You still see 85 year old men traipsing off to Immigration offices for 90 day reporting. When does a Thai wife ever consider what happens to the family home should she die? 

So yes, it is different in many countries. I know if a Thai wife of a British citizen was being subjected to such behaviour in the U.K. there would be outrage if there were sufficient people affected. We can’t even deport illegal foreigners in the U.K. without some local action group taking their sides. Never happens in Thailand. 

That is most Thai's demeanor when it involves themselves.............

Mostly a resigned shrug

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

By the way 99% of foreigners in this situation never bothered to apply for Thai Permanent Residency

Yes, they limit how many people per country can obtain PR(100 per country per year)

But how many expats do you know that have applied?

I know zero out 100's of expats I know...............

Correction..........I know 1 expat who has

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

By the way 99% of foreigners in this situation never bothered to apply for Thai Permanent Residency

Yes, they limit how many people per country can obtain PR(100 per country per year)

But how many expats do you know that have applied?

I know zero out 100's of expats I know...............

Correction..........I know 1 expat who has

I think you’ve answered your own question. The numbers are allowed are an insult and the timescales and barriers prohibitive. They don’t want it but are perhaps forced to pay lip service to international norms  why should anyone put themselves through such nonsense? To panda to Thai xenophobia? Don’t think so  

So as not to deflect from my point, my point is about Thais who are involved with foreigners not lifting a finger to show their support.  

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

I think you’ve answered your own question. The numbers are allowed are an insult and the timescales and barriers prohibitive. They don’t want it but are perhaps forced to pay lip service to international norms  why should anyone put themselves through such nonsense? To panda to Thai xenophobia? Don’t think so  

So as not to deflect from my point, my point is about Thais who are involved with foreigners not lifting a finger to show their support.  

I don't think the average Thai girl that marries a farang would have the slightest clue on any of their husband's Immigration 

And most that leave country don't have a clue about their own

My fine certainly doesn't 

14 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Straight question: Have work permit rules been abolished for volunteering now?
I know in the past there were foreigners who needed a WP to volunteer - even for no salary.

You still require a work permit to legally work in Thailand, even for voluntary work.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

You still require a work permit to legally work in Thailand, even for voluntary work.

Thanks for the confirmation.
So I assume all the foreign volunteers won't have a WP to do this specifically and therefore, apart from doing it illegally, are also at risk of deportation if caught.

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Thanks for the confirmation.
So I assume all the foreign volunteers won't have a WP to do this specifically and therefore, apart from doing it illegally, are also at risk of deportation if caught.

You can get a Non O visa based on voluntary work, or if you're the spouse of a Thai on a Non O or extension based on Thai spouse you can obtain a work permit, but you still require documentation from the organisation, and therein lies the problem because they usually don't want to do anything.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Faz said:

You can get a Non O visa based on voluntary work, or if you're the spouse of a Thai on a Non O or extension based on Thai spouse you can obtain a work permit, but you still require documentation from the organisation, and therein lies the problem because they usually don't want to do anything.

I'd tend to agree they don't want to do anything. It gives the impression there could be ferang volunteers unaware of the position they're putting themselves in?
Plus there's still the requirement for four Thai employees per WP, (even voluntary work I assume?)
As an aside, is it only two employees required if you're the spouse of a Thai on a Non O? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Now that this story has been told, let's see if immigration shows up at Bangkok Community Help Foundation to check the visa status of their foreign volunteers.

If these foreign volunteers are also teachers employed at a Thai school, their work permit doesn't allow them to "work" in another location.  Work permits are job specific if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Can anyone definitively state how far this rule applies? For example, I heard a tale a few years back of a guy in Hua Hin who was questioned by police as he was painting his fence outside his house. I also heard a tale of a guy in Rayong who was questioned following his attempts to set up a fund raising golf day with proceeds going to a local orphanage.

Im never sure if these are true or exaggerated tales. Equally, I hear too many times, comments such as “it’s illegal by law but no one cares”. Hardly a comfort if you are arrested, fined and possibly deported.

Is this a case of confused and loose policy, policed by equally confused and loose policing that will never be clarified? In which case it’s a matter of individual risk for reward?