News Forum - Thailand’s new fighter jets still on horizon

Thaiger

It will be the middle of this year before Thailand’s Royal Thai Air Force know whether or not Washington has approved the sale of F-35A Lightning II fighter jets. RTAF Commander-in-Chief, ACM Alongkorn Wannarot said the air force was still negotiating preparations for the purchase of the jets, but the sale has yet to be approved by Washington. The US military is currently inspecting the areas where the F-35A fleet would be stationed. Alongkorn said…. “If everything goes according to the plan, I expect the deal will be cleared by the middle of the year.” The procurement is an internal […]

The story Thailand’s new fighter jets still on horizon as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What Thailand need is a new education system to improve the knowledge and English competency of its future generation to lead the country to greater heights. It is still a big question that who is going to attack the ASEAN nations? Every country is having its own internal headaches to take care. It looks like because neighbouring countries already have. Thailand also trying to acquire the same. 

• Like 2

What country does Thailand think is a military threat? 

Each F35-A purchase price for one aircraft is at least 78 million usd.  Then add in maintenance and spare parts on an annual basis.

Makes as much sense as Thailand wanting to buy submarines from China 

If Thailand prepares their air force as good as preparing the Thai Navy without enough life jackets and competent Thai Navy skippers... this will be interesting to observe in the years ahead.

Not everyone involved in this fighter jet deal was issued brain cells at birth.

Edited by JackMeOff
Typo
  • Like 3

They do need replacement aircraft, but the F35 is a long shot concidering the close relationship they have with the CCP and how far the CCP would go to get this knowledge. Maybe Washington can install a kill switch that detonates the aircrafts fuel tanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

They do need replacement aircraft, but the F35 is a long shot concidering the close relationship they have with the CCP and how far the CCP would go to get this knowledge. Maybe Washington can install a kill switch that detonates the aircrafts fuel tanks. 

The F16 and A6s they have now may be old, but they are perfectly adequate for any perceived threat to their airspace.   Just update those. F35s are way over the top for them. They may be technically easy to fly, apart from the F35B variant, but to use them effectively is a whole different, and expensive,  matter. The ground  control and data transfer technology the aircraft require to be effective weapons will cost more than the jets themselves.  Without that technology, they are just one more expensive toy for the Military to play with.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

The F16 and A6s they have now may be old, but they are perfectly adequate for any perceived threat to their airspace.   Just update those. F35s are way over the top for them. They may be technically easy to fly, apart from the F35B variant, but to use them effectively is a whole different, and expensive,  matter. The ground  control and data transfer technology the aircraft require to be effective weapons will cost more than the jets themselves.  Without that technology, they are just one more expensive toy for the Military to play with.  

Sounds logical when stated that way if having the too many extra considerations never mentioned. I really never thought they should even be considered for such a technologically advanced piece of machinery. They also have Gripens, so

I just don’t understand why they feel the need for F-35s. Taiwan uses upgraded F-16s and word is they are satisfactory. 

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s new fighter jets still on horizon

Hmm, gives the impression they could be very slow, are they clockwork?

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

The F16 and A6s they have now may be old, but they are perfectly adequate for any perceived threat to their airspace. 

Yes and no. Yes Thailand should be flying F-16s or Saab Gripens (which they also operate), aircraft as you say are more than adequate for any proposed future needs. However if you believe past news reports, the existing F-16s are too long in the tooth. You can’t fly modern fighters forever. At some point metal fatigue will make that too dangerous. However they don’t need F-35s. The purchase price is about the same as a new F-16 block70, or a Gripen E, but as you point out the F-35 training and operational costs are prohibitively higher. Makes no sense. That is unless you consider the additional tie-ins that come with buying advanced fighters. Unlike other weapons systems, nothing ties two countries together quite like fighter planes. There is 30 years of training, upgrades, spare parts and weapons purchases between two countries. Ties them together even closer than they would be otherwise. With fighters there is almost always a geopolitical reason behind a purchase. Says a lot and none of it will make the Chinese happy. 

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sounds logical when stated that way if having the too many extra considerations never mentioned. I really never thought they should even be considered for such a technologically advanced piece of machinery. They also have Gripens, so

I just don’t understand why they feel the need for F-35s. Taiwan uses upgraded F-16s and word is they are satisfactory. 

A side order from the CCP perhaps. If the US approve this purchase then they must be insane. I wouldn’t give the Thais Boeing or Airbus civilian aircraft never mind F-35s until this Junta lead government returns to the barracks and starts serving the people. 

14 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Hmm, gives the impression they could be very slow, are they clockwork?

Military procurement is a complicated process

Theres also the reason that most of our airbases don't have proper equipment to maintain the aircraft

and theres also our relationship with China that has been deteriorating lately

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

A side order from the CCP perhaps. If the US approve this purchase then they must be insane. I wouldn’t give the Thais Boeing or Airbus civilian aircraft never mind F-35s until this Junta lead government returns to the barracks and starts serving the people. 

At this point of time granting the F-35 purchase to Thailand can be a big win since it challenges chinese influence over the air force and generally speaking, armed forces. And considering future strategic challenges. the united states needs as many allies as possible in the region

And about the Thai boeing and airbus's. What were you thinking? and what is wrong with you?

My opinion on the government is neutral although i wish we could have more democratic processes (which hopefully will appear in the elections next year)

Edited by Noah

On 1/2/2023 at 2:05 PM, JackMeOff said:

What country does Thailand think is a military threat? 

Each F35-A purchase price for one aircraft is at least 78 million usd.  Then add in maintenance and spare parts on an annual basis.

Makes as much sense as Thailand wanting to buy submarines from China 

If Thailand prepares their air force as good as preparing the Thai Navy without enough life jackets and competent Thai Navy skippers... this will be interesting to observe in the years ahead.

Not everyone involved in this fighter jet deal was issued brain cells at birth.

Naturally Burma, Cambodia and Laos

We buy the F-35 not to use it in war but more to deter enemies from fighting us.

The submarine one is also the same, it's like trying to show off in the region although it is fairly unpopular

The navy and air force doesn't operate the same as each other. Different operations, different tactics

I'm sure the guys involved in this purchase have more brain cells than you though

Edited by Noah

14 minutes ago, Noah said:

And about the Thai boeing and airbus's. What were you thinking? and what is wrong with you?

My opinion on the government is neutral

You asked the question and then answered it yourself!

My opinion on a military junta is obviously different to mine. I prefer my military to serve the people and be answerable to the people. Not oppress them, shoot them on the streets of the capital and steal their money. I would slap sanctions on the country that would mean they couldn’t export a grain of rice. If that pushed them towards China then so be it. About time Thailand got the fence post out of its collective backside anyway. What is wrong with you? 

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

You asked the question and then answered it yourself!

My opinion on a military junta is obviously different to mine. I prefer my military to serve the people and be answerable to the people. Not oppress them, shoot them on the streets of the capital and steal their money. I would slap sanctions on the country that would mean they couldn’t export a grain of rice. If that pushed them towards China then so be it. About time Thailand got the fence post out of its collective backside anyway. What is wrong with you? 

Look the military isn't executing people on the streets albeit extorting money and oppression does exist and i have experienced it personally. Although it is a little joked on even by folks in the military

the Military hasn't responded to the recent protests with tanks and all those shenanigans that you think is happening like its 1984 all over again

and for what is wrong with me? I'm a Thai national commenting on what is obviously an outsider spurring bad opinions, spreading a false narrative and not caring a cent for the population here

9 hours ago, Noah said:

I'm a Thai national commenting on what is obviously an outsider spurring bad opinions, spreading a false narrative and not caring a cent for the population here

I think you’ll find most comments show people are caring a lot more than a cent for the Thai population. Why waste tax payers good money on stupid projects like this? Far more pressing issues in Thailand that need millions of dollars. New fighter jets are way down the priority list unless you are an airforce General with a small penis

15 hours ago, Noah said:

We buy the F-35 not to use it in war but more to deter enemies from fighting us.

The submarine one is also the same, it's like trying to show off in the region although it is fairly unpopular

Hmmm.....I don't get it.

Does it mean I buy a ferarri to deter people racing me on the roads?

Or showing off to my neighbours that I have a Ferrari while I live in a shitty neighbourhood and my family has not enough food, not have good heathcare when they are sick or my kids are not sent to good schools? 

• Like 1