News Forum - Chinese tourists may bring growing pains to the Thai travel industry

Thaiger

While people in the tourism and entertainment sector are celebrating China’s announcement to reopen and allow outgoing travel, others have raised fears about the potential problems that could come with an influx of Chinese tourists. Some fear an overwhelming surge of Chinese tourists flooding Thailand’s hotspots. Others worry that the healthcare systems in Thailand could be overburdened by the influx of tourists, especially amidst the massive Covid-19 outbreak China is currently experiencing. China announced on Monday it will reopen its borders and abandon its strict Covid-19 quarantine for travellers and mainland citizens on January 8. The announcement signals great news […]

The story Chinese tourists may bring growing pains to the Thai travel industry as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fact : China is not experiencing a massive outbreak. Further fact: The quarantine for covid is five days. How long to 8th January? More western media inspired bullsh##.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Fact : China is not experiencing a massive outbreak. Further fact: The quarantine for covid is five days. How long to 8th January? More western media inspired bullsh##.

Fact: China is experiencing a massive outbreak as reported by many sources. Not just your hatred for foreigners media either. Why else are Japan, India and Taiwan taking steps to control Chinese entering their countries? Try putting a VPN on and accessing some proper media

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Poolie said:

China was more than economic with the truth right from the start, during the last quarter of 2019 - nobody believes you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The science and reports from inside China are as clear as they could be. Their tourists will bring a forth wave of covid with them. Its as clear as the nose on TATs face.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

China was more than economic with the truth right from the start, during the last quarter of 2019 - nobody believes you.

Fair enough but you arent fooling anybody but yourself.  😀

Have a lovely day.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

The science and reports from inside China are as clear as they could be. Their tourists will bring a forth wave of covid with them. Its as clear as the nose on TATs face.  

Oh is that right? Perhaps you could show some of these reports and science? Just to educate you understand. Enjoy your day. 😀

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The fact is nobody wants anyone in way too much in numbers of any race at one time or even at the highest times of the darn Chinese being here and making everyone puke. So if the CCP allows their people to travel again with the idiot open arms from the Thai appointed trough gorging unintellectuals, and this comes from the trough feeders who are out of touch with realisms and the lower folk than them, and the citizens, then this country is purely doooooooomed to be spread with crap tourist, and lets start with China first. The CCP should really have massive sterilization to decrease their number to less than 500 million. Same as India. These 2 countries are a discrace to the world for how many people they have, but China takes the fricken cake for how much they are in everyone's face. 

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Fair enough but you arent fooling anybody but yourself.  😀

Have a lovely day.

fair enough but he's not trying to fool anybody. that would be you and your happy emojis

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MELAFO said:

The evolution of you guys: 

Protesters in China: We want freedom! End zero covid measures, we are tired of it! 

Westerners: Great, I support you! Down with Xi Jinping and CCP! Brave people blah blah...

China gov: Zero covid measures are done and dusted, there you guys have your freedom! 

Also westerners: WTF? NO! Quarantine them up, we don't want them coming! They gonna bring a fourth wave..... 

The point is to criticize China, regardless of what they do. When one cares so much about a specific thing (China), one must be jealous of said thing. Else it would have no relevance :P

I don't know man. Could just be an objective look at absurd measures only meant to save face/preserve power of the despicable corrupt ruling class from the country that brought this to the world in first place, and now threatens to make it worse again, lagging behind everybody because of their own decisions. But your call

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Oh is that right? Perhaps you could show some of these reports and science? Just to educate you understand. Enjoy your day. 😀

Here, go educate yourself: You shouldn’t need any such reports mind you  common sense would tell you this is risky  it’s not like Singapore has reopens in this way  we are talking about a largely unvaccinated massive population that is now in the move again  

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/china/abrupt-relaxation-of-covid-curbs-puts-pressure-on-hospitals-authorities-as-cases-surge-in-china/amp_articleshow/96171117.cms

https://amp.dw.com/en/japan-to-require-covid-19-tests-for-visitors-from-china/a-64219604

https://www.economist.com/by-invitation/2022/12/13/two-health-experts-say-chinas-haste-to-re-open-risks-needless-death-and-disruption

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Here, go educate yourself: You shouldn’t need any such reports mind you  common sense would tell you this is risky  it’s not like Singapore has reopens in this way  we are talking about a largely unvaccinated massive population that is now in the move again  

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/china/abrupt-relaxation-of-covid-curbs-puts-pressure-on-hospitals-authorities-as-cases-surge-in-china/amp_articleshow/96171117.cms

https://amp.dw.com/en/japan-to-require-covid-19-tests-for-visitors-from-china/a-64219604

https://www.economist.com/by-invitation/2022/12/13/two-health-experts-say-chinas-haste-to-re-open-risks-needless-death-and-disruption

Nearly all Chinese are vaccinated because they had to be. My local colleagues in China have confirmed this to me. Pretty much everyone was vaccinated whether they wanted to be or not. A few elderly might have avoided it (mostly those living in the countryside) but the vast majority still got at least the basic doses.

I don't know what "undervaccinated" means but even these media sources are admitting most Chinese, including the elderly, have had 2 or 3 shots. How many is enough?

To me this is simply about selling the mRNA vaccine, which the Chinese didn't get.

I don't think they're going to come in large numbers immediately anyway. Especially if all these different countries impose restrictions and to get back into China they still need a PCR test, which is just a nuisance.

Any restrictions kill travel. I avoided going places which required them and am only traveling now, since August, when all the countries I've been to since then, lifted them all. Thailand at the time required me to show an antigen test, but by October this wasn't needed anymore.

Bring in more restrictions again and it's game over for tourism. Therefore I hope Thailand won't jump on the hysterical restriction bandwagon. I just know it won't only be for the Chinese. Weeks later everyone will be subjected to them again, as the claim will be "the Chinese have spread the virus worldwide".

Japan doesn't surprise me - in a sense they're not changing anything because Chinese already needed a PCR test to enter even before this announcement. Why? Because Japan requires proof of 3 vaccine shots which excludes the Chinese vaccines. For the purposes of Japanese immigration, anyone with 2 shots of any vaccine or any number of Chinese vaccines (Sinopharm, Sinovac) will be treated the same as the unvaccinated: Must show proof of a PCR test. This is because Japan doesn't recognize the Chinese vaccines at all.

However, a Chinese national who happened to receive 3 doses of say Moderna or Pfizer (probably living outside the mainland), they'd now also be required to furnish proof of a PCR test (or put another way, they needn't bother showing proof of vaccination, which is no longer recognized as they simply need to show a test now).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

The CCP would never lie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Nearly all Chinese are vaccinated because they had to be. My local colleagues in China have confirmed this to me. Pretty much everyone was vaccinated whether they wanted to be or not. A few elderly might have avoided it (mostly those living in the countryside) but the vast majority still got at least the basic doses.

The home grown vax is ineffective. 

The Singapore Post reported, "Recent studies show that Chinese vaccinessuch as Sinovac have only been effective up to 61% against deaths and 55% against hospitalization, while Moderna and Pfizer fared much better at 90% protection from both." 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MELAFO said:

For a great part of people in the West this was a "plandemic" and not real. So I can't see how something that is not real could make things any worse. 

I don't see how these people are relevant in any discussion.

19 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I don't know what "undervaccinated" means but even these media sources are admitting most Chinese, including the elderly, have had 2 or 3 shots. How many is enough?

To me this is simply about selling the mRNA vaccine, which the Chinese didn't get.

I don't think they're going to come in large numbers immediately anyway. Especially if all these different countries impose restrictions and to get back into China they still need a PCR test, which is just a nuisance.

Any restrictions kill travel. I avoided going places which required them and am only traveling now, since August, when all the countries I've been to since then, lifted them all. Thailand at the time required me to show an antigen test, but by October this wasn't needed anymore.

Bring in more restrictions again and it's game over for tourism. Therefore I hope Thailand won't jump on the hysterical restriction bandwagon. I just know it won't only be for the Chinese. Weeks later everyone will be subjected to them again, as the claim will be "the Chinese have spread the virus worldwide".

Japan doesn't surprise me - in a sense they're not changing anything because Chinese already needed a PCR test to enter even before this announcement. Why? Because Japan requires proof of 3 vaccine shots which excludes the Chinese vaccines. For the purposes of Japanese immigration, anyone with 2 shots of any vaccine or any number of Chinese vaccines (Sinopharm, Sinovac) will be treated the same as the unvaccinated: Must show proof of a PCR test. This is because Japan doesn't recognize the Chinese vaccines at all.

However, a Chinese national who happened to receive 3 doses of say Moderna or Pfizer (probably living outside the mainland), they'd now also be required to furnish proof of a PCR test (or put another way, they needn't bother showing proof of vaccination, which is no longer recognized as they simply need to show a test now).

The official vaccination rate in China is around 86% (supplied by the trustworthy CCP) Fairly high but there are three problems with it:

Many of those unvaccinated are elderly and hence vulnerable. The second issue, as you elude to, is that it is mainly with Sinovac and Sinopharm. They neither have MRNA or AstraZenica vaccine. That of course is an issue internally to China, as having the vaccine doesn’t mean you can’t carry the virus and spread to others as you are eating you Phad Thai in Thailand, for example. Finally, 14% unvaccinated of the Chinese population equates to 196,000,000 people!  That’s over half of the US population!! 

As for the way various governments are implementing additional checks on people travelling from China, then clearly some will implement stupid rules. The rule should be, anyone who has been in China in the past 21 days requires additional checks. Doesn’t matter what nationality or even transiting the airport.  

• Like 2

Italian health authorities will begin testing all arrivals from China for Covid after almost half of the passengers on two flights to Milan were found to have the virus. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Fact China is experiencing a MASSIVE Covid outbreak.

this is largely because of a policy of lockdown over vaccines....they are now relaxing the rules for visitors as well as people leaving.

12 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Fact China is experiencing a MASSIVE Covid outbreak.

this is largely because of a policy of lockdown over vaccines....they are now relaxing the rules for visitors as well as people leaving.

Agreed. Italy have announced this afternoon that two inbound flights from China were fully tested. 50% of passengers tested positive for Covid

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-patients-no-longer-have-to-quarantine-in-hong-kong-as-restrictions-are-lifted-12775498

The same article reports that Tesla shares fell 11.4% after it had to suspend production at its factory in Shanghai on Tuesday as Covid cases surge. 

This has a few weeks to go before it peaks and the number of casualties will be scary. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

The fact is nobody wants anyone in way too much in numbers of any race at one time or even at the highest times of the darn Chinese being here and making everyone puke. So if the CCP allows their people to travel again with the idiot open arms from the Thai appointed trough gorging unintellectuals, and this comes from the trough feeders who are out of touch with realisms and the lower folk than them, and the citizens, then this country is purely doooooooomed to be spread with crap tourist, and lets start with China first. The CCP should really have massive sterilization to decrease their number to less than 500 million. Same as India. These 2 countries are a discrace to the world for how many people they have, but China takes the fricken cake for how much they are in everyone's face. 

So now it is ok to openly call for race based sterilization. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, socal said:

So now it is ok to openly call for race based sterilization. 

Can we modify that request and go for stupid people sterilisation? I think that would still achieve @HolyCowCm objectives. 😉

Joking apart, it is ridiculous for a country like Thailand, who was so cautious and even now has the jitters about New Year celebrations, crowded spaces and face masks, to greet millions of untested people from a country perhaps going through the worlds largest wave of Covid infection. If it’s not stupid then it’s totally reckless 

• Like 5

End of the day everyone has to die one day. The whole world is grumbling as if they are going to live forever. Even if an amoeba which is the primitive for the evolution of living being on earth can pose danger to lives, nothing is permanent. Corona virus is not as bad as the superpowers killing innocent people for money and fame directly and indirectly. Let us all open our eyes and try to live with it. 

13 hours ago, Poolie said:

watch the news mate, see what the US and India have decided to do and what the medical watch in the UK is doing.  Its painfully obvious. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-64111492

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-64111492

Due to arrive in a couple of weeks time, for three months. At least I should arrive well before the herds of Chinese package tourists and whatever new COVID variant the CCP wants inflict on the rest of the world. From having to elbow my way through the crowds of Chinese tour groups at the old old Rot Fai night market in Bangkok (I tried being polite, it didn't work) to watching exasperated tour guides asking their charges to be respectful at temples, they didn't make a good impression.