News Forum - International tourism 2022: 11.5 million foreign arrivals

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand says that, now that they’ve blown past their 2022 target of 10 million international travellers, they are now predicting 11.5 million by the end of the year. This is 15% above their projections which seemed overly hopeful earlier in the year. From the beginning of the year through December 20, 10.9 million foreign tourists have arrived. While this number is just over 25% of the international tourist arrivals before the Covid-19 pandemic, tourism revenue from domestic and international travellers is forecast to hit 1.5 trillion baht. That’s 50% of the total tourism revenue in 2019 […]

The story International tourism 2022: 11.5 million foreign arrivals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They’ve got that dodgy TAT calculator out again. 

1.5 trillion is said to be 50% of 2019 revenues.  So revenues in 2019 were 3 Trillion. With 39M visitors, that works out at roughly 77,000 baht per visitor (high me thinks). However. With only 11M visitors spending 1.5 Trillion, that’s a whopping 134,000 baht per person!  With most being day trippers from neighbouring countries, that’s a lot to spend in a day or two. Perhaps they are including all the gold chains being stolen from Indians? 

• Haha 2

So tourism is climbing again .... great.

Let's shutdown some of the NYE festivities and see what happens.  It's too late to change plans if here or on the way ... maybe no one will notice.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

So tourism is climbing again .... great.

Let's shutdown some of the NYE festivities and see what happens.  It's too late to change plans if here or on the way ... maybe no one will notice.

You think people base their holidays to Thailand over fireworks on New Years Eve?

99% of the tourist's wouldn't even know they are going on

And will just do whatever else is offered that night 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You think people base their holidays to Thailand over fireworks on New Years Eve?

99% of the tourist's wouldn't even know they are going on

And will just do whatever else is offered that night 

that would be me but a number of people love their big new year event.

3 hours ago, Wackamole said:

that would be me but a number of people love their big new year event.

Oh for sure

If tourists were in Thailand and knew there would be big fireworks many would go

I just don't think many at all would be planning their trip on it

I think the issue is more about the lame attitude towards change. I’m sure people don’t come to Thailand just for New year fireworks, but if they are cancelled and demonstrate their attitude of pointless control, those negative stories go back with the tourists. Just another nail in the coffin. Same with all negative stories from Thailand. Certainly doesn’t promote one of their biggest industries does it? 

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Oh for sure

If tourists were in Thailand and knew there would be big fireworks many would go

I just don't think many at all would be planning their trip on it

No they aren't planning it beforehand but many probably expect a big outdoor event anyway, as that is the norm mostly everywhere. If there is nothing of the sort, some of them might be really disappointed.

This could be attainable in view of the recent long weekend holidays in Malaysia. During the Christmas Eve the Q was for hours to enter Southern Thailand where it only takes less than 15 minutes to enter the country via BKH. Again with another weekend new year holiday many will cross over since the school reopens only in March 2023 in Malaysia