News Forum - Anutin responds to photo of cannabis smoking kids on Pattaya Beach

Thaiger

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul has responded after photos of a group of 10 year olds smoking cannabis from a bamboo bong on Pattaya Beach went viral on social media. The legalisation of cannabis came with very little regulation, but a prohibition on sales or consumption by anyone under 20 years old was put in place almost immediately. Anutin has been a very vocal supporter of decriminalised cannabis but he expressed concern over the viral photos. He suggested that local law enforcement should step up their enforcement of marijuana law. But, he did also hint that he suspected the photo was […]

The story Anutin responds to photo of cannabis smoking kids on Pattaya Beach as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Anutin knew what the results would be when he started all this ....... financial and political advancement for himself. He doesn't give a rats A about who does what or how as long as he keeps climbing the ladder towards becoming a wealthy PM. 

• Like 5

This looks like a set up. Amazing that the 2 boys happened to be sitting in full view, that the man happened to be walking right by where they were sitting, that the man happened to take a photo of them, and then happened to post it to the authorities. 

There will always be ferals like these children - a failure of society, of parenting. If they weren't smoking cannabis they would be sniffing glue or finding some other way to forget the ugliness of their lives.

• Like 3

Well, Rat really has his finger on the pulse with this 'staged' photo. Staged to embarrass his political party (and him personally). If I had the clout, that's what I would do too!

As for why it was 'staged'? Street kids don't have the money to buy pot.

HOWEVER... They also abuse alcohol, sniff glue and other stuff.

Well, Rat, which one is it? Are you feeling the heat in the kitchen?

Unfortunately this picture (regardless if genuine or not) could have been taken in most countries around the world where weed is not legal, so that it is "legal" in Thailand or not makes no difference. In fact, if these kids are smoking what should be legal, nothing more than 0.2% THC, then it is less bad than the strong stuff, not good but not as bad. However the shops that are popping up everywhere are definitely selling strong stuff that is no way close to 0.2%. A few days ago, a friend of mine was smoking weed he bought in one these shops ran by an English guy who said he has the licence (and he has) to grow the stuff he is selling...some of it up to 20% THC (so not a licence for that since it is supposed to be illegal)... I tried one of them with my friend, had only 4/5 puffs and it was definitely not 0.2%, surely closer to 15%. With some of my friends, we reckon some of the stuff they are selling is not even produced in Thailand. It is as usual very confusing but typical Thailand: when there is no law, it is a mess. When there is a law, it is even a bigger mess.

10 minutes ago, Manu said:

Unfortunately this picture (regardless if genuine or not) could have been taken in most countries around the world where weed is not legal, so that it is "legal" in Thailand or not makes no difference. In fact, if these kids are smoking what should be legal, nothing more than 0.2% THC, then it is less bad than the strong stuff, not good but not as bad. However the shops that are popping up everywhere are definitely selling strong stuff that is no way close to 0.2%. A few days ago, a friend of mine was smoking weed he bought in one these shops ran by an English guy who said he has the licence (and he has) to grow the stuff he is selling...some of it up to 20% THC (so not a licence for that since it is supposed to be illegal)... I tried one of them with my friend, had only 4/5 puffs and it was definitely not 0.2%, surely closer to 15%. With some of my friends, we reckon some of the stuff they are selling is not even produced in Thailand. It is as usual very confusing but typical Thailand: when there is no law, it is a mess. When there is a law, it is even a bigger mess.

Imported seed and grown mostly indoor, so that is why the at the shops try to get a high mark-up for it. One's who have shops or online have to register and file for where they buy it.. And yes there is some real stuff out there more htan 20% for sure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Manu said:

I thought currently it was edibles and extracts that are supposed to be limited to 0.2% THC not the actual buds ? 

What did Anutin expect? My local Phuket HomePro mall has a stand now selling weed, cookies, edibles, bongs and whatever parked outside the entrance to Villa Market with shining neon cannabis signs. 0.2 THC? Sure - that's not what they tell the foreigners buying the buds on display.

Smoke weed all you want, and I am not anti-cannabis, but families should not have to parade past that.

2 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

What did Anutin expect? My local Phuket HomePro mall has a stand now selling weed, cookies, edibles, bongs and whatever parked outside the entrance to Villa Market with shining neon cannabis signs. 0.2 THC? Sure - that's not what they tell the foreigners buying the buds on display.

Smoke weed all you want, and I am not anti-cannabis, but families should not have to parade past that.

Although I agree with you mostly , especially the garish shop signs I have seen in Thailand, how is that different than an alcohol store?