Tires/Tyres

TWS60

In the market for new tires for the wife's 2013 2-WD 3.0L Fortuner, seems a fast 4 years since the last set were put on at one of those typical Goodyear tire/service shops.  I went with the Goodyear brand, but I'm not a car guy so I'm up for some input this time from guys who are.   

Any recommendations on brand and the common name shops to try this time?  Mid-range price, 265/65R17.   Mostly town driving, occasional road trips out of the sticks, BKK, HH, Patts, etc.

Seem to recall I should check production date to avoid tires that have been up on the shop's storage rack a long time.  Also saw a bit of warning on-line about Chinese made tires; for that matter, I suppose brands that are familiar to me here in Thailand - Goodyear, Dunlop, Michellen, Bridgestone, etc.,  could well be produced in China, although maybe with more stringent specs and QA/QC(?).   Is it me missing it or do the tire adverts here not include estimated mileage life span?  Seem to recall (in the US, a long time ago) that was a common selling point - 50,000 miles, 100,000 miles, etc.  Longer the estimated life, higher the price.

Wife's old school chum is the manager of our local Toyota service center, sent us some options and pricing yesterday but without any follow on service, such as was offered by the Goodyear shop last time - scheduled rotations, no charge popping in for air top ups and checking, etc.  

Thanks for any input.  We'll pull the trigger on something in the next day or so.  

2 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Thanks for any input.

I'll not make any direct recommendation except to point you at Google and seek out Fortuner car clubs for advice.

Bear in mind you want a tyre that offers the following:-

Quiet tread pattern for on-road use only
Good water clearing siping (channels) for wet season
A moderate wear compound - eg soft will stop best in dry conditions  -v- hard for longevity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just had a look at my tyres to see what make they are and the brand is Westlake, never heard of this make before, but I've no cause to complain as they've been on the Mazda BT50 from new. The car is over 8 years old and has covered over a 120,000 kms, still another 10k - 20k left in them. 

I think most of the big names are made somewhere in Asia these days. 

Just priced a Westlake tyre to fit the BT50 on Lazada 2,900 baht. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Longer the estimated life, higher the price.

And as harder the tyres! Brake longer, bum.

Not so sure with the higher price, but never owned a truck. So .....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

I have just had a look at my tyres to see what make they are and the brand is Westlake, never heard of this make before, but I've no cause to complain as they've been on the Mazda BT50 from new. The car is over 8 years old and has covered over a 120,000 kms, still another 10k - 20k left in them. 

I think most of the big names are made somewhere in Asia these days. 

Just priced a Westlake tyre to fit the BT50 on Lazada 2,900 baht. 

Westlake are Cn made with a hard-wearing compound, ideal for commercial vehicles/long distance. 

• Thanks 1

I got (a bit) smarter about tires in the interim, Google, Youtube, etc.  That was well worth it on its own.

Went with BF Goodrich Advantage Touring below at a Michelen/BFG dealer TyrePlus.  Made last month in Chon Buri.  4,800 each, less than the Michelen SUV/Touring equivalent.  19,250 out the door with the gold plated after care/'insurance' package so the Mrs. is covered.

Did some dry braking, swerves, ran it up to 150kph on the highway - smooth, firm, quiet.  Wife's happy.  All good.  Thanks for the input above.  Cheers, TWS.

20221118_165211.thumb.jpg.db3b8335de3f8eef5e4209b4df982058.jpg

Edited by TWS60