News Forum - 4am curfew proposal protested by drunk driver victims

Thaiger

Entertainment venue and nightlife operators are fervently pushing for a 4am closing time and have gained support from many key government officials. But a protest outside Government House pushed back against a later curfew, fueled by victims of drunk drivers and a coalition of anti-drink driving activists. The 4am curfew extension is expected to be officially proposed to the Cabinet for approval at its weekly meeting on November 15. Famous nightlife spots like Patong in Phuket, Khao San Road in Bangkok, Ao Nang in Krabi, and Koh Lak in Phang Nga top the list of areas that would be considered […]

The story 4am curfew proposal protested by drunk driver victims as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Entertainment venue and nightlife operators are fervently pushing for a 4am closing time and have gained support from many key government officials. But a protest outside Government House pushed back against a later curfew, fueled by victims of drunk drivers and a coalition of anti-drink driving activists.

First and foremost, I am very, very sympathetic to the victims of drunk drivers. To be blunt, laws in Thailand (and outside the Kingdom) need to be updated and enhanced to an assault with a deadly weapon with concurrent, extended jail time for vehicular violations. More simply, if crippling, killing or maiming someone with a gun, or knife, or lead pipe, etc., carries a jail term, using a car to do the same should see the sentence doubled. Driving a car isn't a Right, it is a necessity for many and the punishment for abusing that need should be strengthened.

However, this is an issue of societal pressure and law-enforcement, not particularly a civil matter of entertainment-area closing times. Launch a campaign against drunk-driving as has been done in the West where drunk-driving is as socially-acceptable as gonorrhea. I mean a serious campaign, not one of the laughable Police 'crackdowns' which solve nothing. Combined with social pressure, do a 6 month blitz of breathalyzer tests just outside bar areas so that people will know to walk, take a taxi or sleep there. Finally, encourage bars to join in on the campaign(s); bar owners and staff will, I am certain, want to see their customers get home safe and comeback next time.

Many people travel to Thailand for the party, and that is fine. Four AM closings are fine.

Drunk-driving is NOT fine; attack the problem and leave the rest alone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

First and foremost, I am very, very sympathetic to the victims of drunk drivers. To be blunt, laws in Thailand (and outside the Kingdom) need to be updated and enhanced to an assault with a deadly weapon with concurrent, extended jail time for vehicular violations. More simply, if crippling, killing or maiming someone with a gun, or knife, or lead pipe, etc., carries a jail term, using a car to do the same should see the sentence doubled. Driving a car isn't a Right, it is a necessity for many and the punishment for abusing that need should be strengthened.

However, this is an issue of societal pressure and law-enforcement, not particularly a civil matter of entertainment-area closing times. Launch a campaign against drunk-driving as has been done in the West where drunk-driving is as socially-acceptable as gonorrhea. I mean a serious campaign, not one of the laughable Police 'crackdowns' which solve nothing. Combined with social pressure, do a 6 month blitz of breathalyzer tests just outside bar areas so that people will know to walk, take a taxi or sleep there. Finally, encourage bars to join in on the campaign(s); bar owners and staff will, I am certain, want to see their customers get home safe and comeback next time.

Many people travel to Thailand for the party, and that is fine. Four AM closings are fine.

Drunk-driving is NOT fine; attack the problem and leave the rest alone.

I think they should stress not to drive drunk on motorbikes 

Because I think, and I was 100% guilty of it in the past, people who wouldn't drive a car drunk will drive a MB drunk

I no longer drive drunk on anything though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

However, this is an issue of societal pressure and law-enforcement, not particularly a civil matter of entertainment-area closing times.

Another great post SW. 

Until drink driving gains the same negative social stigma in Thailand as it does in many other countries nothing will change. The number of times I have refused a drink and said “No thanks, I’m driving” and Thai friends have replied “Oh don’t worry, no police out tonight because of rain” is incredible. They even have Line chat groups set up to advise each other of where the police are located so they can avoid them. Only social pressure and peer pressure will change this reckless attitude to drink driving by Thais. 

Only last week some police doctor was let off with a suspended sentence after killing and injuring a number of people in his Porsche while drunk. What chance is there of anything changing anytime soon…

4am closing times for tourist nightlife venues - where almost all of the patrons don't drive - has absolutely nothing to do with drunk driving. Limiting hours to 2am puts everyone in more danger as they're forced to attend illegal venues that are a fire hazard. If they want to limit Thai nightlife to 2am because they think it'll somehow help with drunk driving - ok - even though I don't think it will make a difference - but limiting tourists who don't drive to begin with is just stupid.

• Like 1