Trying to get a copy of a Thai Birth Certificate.

Saltire

A few years ago the wife and I visited the local government office and in 20 minutes, for a small fee, obtained a stamped copy of her ex husbands Death Certificate, Painless, even though he was from a different province. We needed it to get married.

So about a year ago we went to the same office to get a copy of her birth certificate as she has misplaced it.

We got a real runaround from the fairly senior bloke in the amphur. He asked us to come back with no less than 3 neighbours to vouch for her, which we did. He took copies of their IDs and said he would visit each one to verify their/our address. He never showed (no surprise) so now we need to try again. She will need it when I die to apply for 2 UK private widows pensions, so it's important. She also wants to renew her expired passport and my need it for that, (but may not, i'm not sure).

A few of the neighbours hinted that he may have been looking for a 'tip' but the subject of payment was never raised at any point.

So before we go back and try again, I am interested to know if anyone with a Thai family member has done this apparently simple task, and was it a pain or straightforward?

Thanks

Sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

Hi Saltire,
Firstly you don't need a birth certificate to obtain a new Thai Passport, ID card is sufficient.

Re the birth certificate issue, a couple of questions;
1. Did your wife ever have a birth certificate?
2. What is the DOB registered on her ID card.
3. What is the DOB in her Tabien Baan.

Mistakes are common here and it's possible that your wife's birth was never officially registered, or the DOB has been incorrectly copied somewhere down the line hence the Amphoe can't find her birth registration on the database from her ID card.

You cannot obtain 'copies' of birth certificates, but the Amphoe can issue a letter with all the details on as a substitute for the original.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Resurecting/updating a previous post

So @Fazyou were spot on on all counts (and sorry I missed your reply first time round!).

A month or so ago we went to Pattaya and she got a new passport with no issues.

We went this week to try again for the birth certificate as Covid was over and we'd heard there was a new man in charge as well as many new staff at the amphur.

It took only 5 minutes to confirm she was never oficially registered at birth. Her ID card and Tabian Baan have the same birthdate in May 1980 and I suspect a few strings were pulled at the time to get these.

We suspect this is down to circumstances of her birth. Sadly her mother died minutes after she was born trying to deliver her twin. This left her father to do everything for her from then on, at which, in every respect he failed spetacularly. I never met such an inept, uncaring, selfish tw@t. At the time of her birth he was in Thailand illegally (he was from Myanmar) and probably was afraid to go to the amphur for fear of deportation.

As Faz says, this must be quite common but I know of no process to rectify this situation.

My 2 pension companies confirmed the document was required for her to claim a widows pension. Combined, they add up to about 15k Baht per month for life and I do not want her to miss out so I need to come up an alternative.

I will initally write to both pension providers in the hope they may accept the ID and Passport or if there is something else we can do to confirm her identity now, rather than wait till after I die.

An alternative is to nominate someone else who can be trusted to forward any monies to her. However this has UK tax implications for the nominee, as well as puting them in an inconvenient situation. There is no alternate suitable (i.e. trustworthy) Thai nominee.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

My 2 pension companies confirmed the document was required for her to claim a widows pension. Combined, they add up to about 15k Baht per month for life and I do not want her to miss out so I need to come up an alternative.

A couple of points to pursue.

1. It may still be possible to register your wife's birth and obtain a BC, although a fine for late registration may apply. Have you enquired on that possibility at the Amphoe?

2. You state your wife has a birthdate on her ID, Passport and presumably her Tabien Baan registration.
Is that her actual DOB or a guess. Where did the date come from?
I'm sure if you obtained a letter from the Amphoe confirming her birth was never registered, due to the events you explained at her birth, they would show leniency and with such a letter, prepared to accept her DOB as registered on her ID and Passport.

Like yourself, I've already set up and made arrangements with my private Pension provider for my wife to receive her widow's pension in the event of my demise. I previously sent them copies of her ID card, Tabien Baan, marriage certificate, and her bank account details, to hold on file. I don't recall them requesting her birth certificate. I set up a letter of authority allowing my daughter to deal directly with the pension company on my wife's behalf.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Faz said:

A couple of points to pursue.

1. It may still be possible to register your wife's birth and obtain a BC, although a fine for late registration may apply. Have you enquired on that possibility at the Amphoe?

2. You state your wife has a birthdate on her ID, Passport and presumably her Tabien Baan registration.
Is that her actual DOB or a guess. Where did the date come from?
I'm sure if you obtained a letter from the Amphoe confirming her birth was never registered, due to the events you explained at her birth, they would show leniency and with such a letter, prepared to accept her DOB as registered on her ID and Passport.

Like yourself, I've already set up and made arrangements with my private Pension provider for my wife to receive her widow's pension in the event of my demise. I previously sent them copies of her ID card, Tabien Baan, marriage certificate, and her bank account details, to hold on file. I don't recall them requesting her birth certificate. I set up a letter of authority allowing my daughter to deal directly with the pension company on my wife's behalf.

Latest - I have drafted a letter to my pension company offering her ID card, Passport, House Book and wedding certificate as proof of ID, and I explained her circumstances. I don't see why they'd not agree as my other pension company has agreed to the same documents, no birth certificate required.

• Like 1