News Forum - Who blew it? Putin blames UK Royal Navy for Nord Stream blast

Thaiger

4 hours ago, EdwardV said:

That’s where Nord Stream 2 comes in, it’s still intact and hooked up to Germany.

NS 2, is, like NS1, a double pipeline. Only NS2 B is intact, NS2 A is gone/blown. Twice, if I did read the "memo" right.

So in theory, NS2 could deliver some gas through that.

But also, in theory, blowing NS2A twice, lets slip the idea away, that Putin did that with the cleaning service robot. Isn't it? Since NS 2 A was FIRST blown up, there is not really a chance, that another robot could make it to work, I think. 

But isn't that one of the "arguments"? : Putin could have done it, without a sub and divers.

Because no one has noticed nothing of unauthorized subsurface traffic in the 2 areas of the explosions.

I, like many others, don't really see the win for Putin, here. There was just a discussion started, in Germany, to open NS2. Just before that picked up speed, "booom". What a coincidence. But still half of NS2 could deliver more gas, as NS1 did in the month before the attack on the pipelines?

If we follow the money, I think we see it flow in a different, opposite direction!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

The gas had already been shut off, it doesn’t weaken Russia to blow up NS1.

Russia could have been turned NS1 on again   Taking NS1 out of the game makes Russia’s hand weaker not stronger. 

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

Ukraine doesn’t get to set the price or quantity of gas sold. They only get a transit fee and that ironically comes from Russia.

I know that. Ukraine can renegotiate the transit fees the same way they have already throttled the Russian gas transiting through Ukraine. The demand for Russia gas is still there but no longer all the routes.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ukraine-gas-system-operator-declares-force-majeure-sokhranivka-entry-point-2022-05-10/ 

10 hours ago, Fanta said:

Spain has two low-capacity links to France’s gas network, which has connections to the rest of Europe. And Spain, Germany and France are working on a proposal to build a higher capacity pipeline to central Europe.

https://wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/international/france-plans-pipeline-from-spain-to-central-europe-for-new-energy-sources-122083100144_1.html

Yes,there are two small gas pipelines from Spain across the Pyrenees. They are already at capacity because they are small, with an exchange capacity of approx. 7 billion cubic meter/year.  (source Fiche d'information27 juillet 2018Bruxelles,Integration of the Iberian Peninsula into the internal energy market).

Germany consumes 100 billion+  cubic meters/year.   So, no,  2 small pipelines already at max capacity that are not going to do much. And no, the US isn't the beneficiary. BTW, the cost of energy for Europe has decreased since August, and it is unlikely there will be power shortages or rationing. Europe has full reserves.

22 hours ago, Fanta said:

No. Both NS1 & NS2 were sabotaged and NS2 is also not certified so activating NS2 is definitely not an option. As with most crimes to find the culprit we should look at who had the motive, the means and the opportunity to sabotage the pipelines in NATO waters. It is convenient to blame Russia however what is their motive? The loss of both NS’s means a big loss of leverage for Russia over the EU and Russia is now forced to rely on Turkstream for exporting their gas to Central Europe now that Ukraine has throttled down Russian gas transiting through Ukraine. Meanwhile the US has loaded LNG tankers backed up in Spanish ports waiting to unload. Germany, previously extremely reliant on Russian energy, now has nothing to lose by hoping off the fence and committing more resources to the war in Ukraine. Indeed we have seen a hardening of Germany’s attitude to Russia since the sabotage of the pipelines. Motive, means, opportunity….. 

NATO waters? Never heard of those. What is the defination of what you call "NATO waters" and where are they. NATO doesn't own any waters.
Start understanding the difference between International sea/waters, economic zone, and territorial sea/waters.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vigo said:

How exactly is Germany going to import this American LNG? As I understand the trade, there needs to be  facilities to unload and transfer LNG. Are you aware that Germany doesn't have one facility to do that? There are 2 floating unloading stations currently under construction and they might be complete by Q1 2023. However, please explain how the LNG sitting in a port in Spain will benefit Germany now?

15 hours ago, Cqman said:

You don't have to go to Spain to find an LNG-terminal.Zeebrugge in Belgium is working since 1987 and can handle 2 large LNG-tankers (even the Q-max) at the same time. You also have Rotterdam, Dunkirk, Montoir de Bretagne and some in the UK.
Most of the LNG landed in Zeebrugge is pumped to neighbouring countries. And I know that for certain as I worked there.
For the UK, there is also the Bacsea pipeline between Bacton and Zeebrugge (I don't know in what sense, to or from the UK,  it is opperating now). Zeebrugge has also a pipeline from Norway.
Also icebraking LNG-carriers from the Yamal field in Siberia are transshipping their gas in conventional LNG-tankers destinated for Asia in Zeebrugge