News Forum - Lift restrictions, South Korea told, or lose Thai tourists

Thaiger

South Korea must lift travel restrictions if it wants to lure Thai tourists back to the country says Thailand’s tourism industry. South Korea lifted some travel restrictions since the Covid-19 pandemic started to ease on April 1 this year but it has not gone far enough, the Thai tourist board insist, adding they must go further otherwise those travellers will find other destinations with no constraints. Thailand’s counterparts in the South Korean tourism business are also concerned. They believe the government’s remaining tough measures are driving Thai tourists into the arms of other nations happy to take their money. The […]

The story Lift restrictions, South Korea told, or lose Thai tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Oh I’m sure the South Koreans will be quaking in their shoes at the loss of the “Little ghosts” who no longer enter and stay illegally. A much bigger problem for South Korean tourism is the lockdown of China. 

• Like 3

Maybe it would help if Thailand  offered solution first? South Korea has a problem with Thais working illegally and imposed appropriate measures. There is no issue with a legitimate Thai visitor gaining entry.  Thailand contribution to South Korea is marginal. Thais who need to go, will still go.

For reference sake, Pre Covid South Korea received 50% + of its tourists from Japan and mainland China. Taiwan was 3rd largest source of tourists. 4th Hong Kong and 5th USA.  Together they  contribute 70% of tourists. Thai tourism operators are motivated by own profit from selling.

• Like 1

Wife and i are hoping they reduce restrictions by next April, if so we plan to stop over on our way back to the USA.  If its still a dog and pony show we will find other places to spend our money.  

My wife & I are flying over there next month from Bangkok for a five day tour with a few of her Thai colleagues.  There are no restrictions now to be reduced and all one needs to do is register with their K-ETA system app prior to coming to Korea and get pre-approved.  They have an app for smartphones and when passing through immigration one shows their pre-approved QR code along with your passport.  Doesn’t matter what your nationality is, not specific to Thais only, as I also had to do it also.  Just another drama article reported by “Bob Scott”. Makes me wonder how all these Thai folks keep getting turned back when they arrive, because when all the covid crap was happening one could not even board the plane unless their destination paperwork was approved like Thailand had the last 2.5 years and you had to show it all before your boarding pass was given to you.

Edited by Dancbmac
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

Makes me wonder how all these Thai folks keep getting turned back when they arrive,

Korean border controls must be doing something right. 

Too many Thai overstayers and illegal workers.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 8:22 AM, HiuMak said:

Korean border controls must be doing something right. 

Too many Thai overstayers and illegal workers.

I agree the Korean border controls are doing something right, but how do the Thai travelers that immediately get sent back even get boarded on the plane to S. Korea without K-ETA approval?  I guess the airlines are not required to check prior to issuing a boarding pass?? I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks 😂

I understand the Thai overstayers as most countries have that problem with many nationalities unfortunately.  

16 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

I agree the Korean border controls are doing something right, but how do the Thai travelers that immediately get sent back even get boarded on the plane to S. Korea without K-ETA approval?  I guess the airlines are not required to check prior to issuing a boarding pass?? I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks 😂

I understand the Thai overstayers as most countries have that problem with many nationalities unfortunately.  

I never have problems travelling into South Korea and never have any issues with border controls in South Korea. Maybe it's just for few nationalities or profiling.