News Forum - 1-billion-baht tourism stimulus back on track

Thaiger

While debate continues around Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s return to office, on thing has become clear.  The Tourism and Sports Ministry is moving ahead with a package of measures delayed while Gen Prayut was suspended pending the Constitutional Court’s ruling. The proposal will allow entertainment venues to remain open until 4am. It’s estimated that Thailand loses roughly 70 million baht  (US$2 million) per day because of current restrictions. Most tourist spending goes on between 1am and 4am. Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, tourism and sports minister, said the proposals would follow normal pre-pandemic practices. Projects in the pipeline include the 1-billion-baht tourism stimulus scheme, […]

The story 1-billion-baht tourism stimulus back on track as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is moving ahead with a package of measures

Well yes. But what measures? They want to extend opening hours until 4 am. Great. Cost? Zero. They want to add 1 million aircraft seats in the high season. That's 250k seats a month. Or 8k a day. Great I guess. It means 10 extra planes if they can fly several routes a day. Cost? Dunno but 1b baht isnt enough.

8 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Sounds a bit odd to me.

Sounds exactly right. Any tourist-oriented club I can think of in Phuket and Bangkok has very few people before midnight, and doesn't get full until 12-1am. If you're thinking gogos or beer bars sure they may start earlier, but that's not where the big money goes.

8 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Sounds a bit odd to me.

They simply do not have a clue. I’ve never heard or seen any kind of survey where they actually ask tourists anything. They just assume they know best. Totally insane. Or as we would say, “Thai” 

• Like 1