News Forum - A monk dies in yet another day of Buddhist shame in Thailand

Thaiger

A history of bad blood between two monks yesterday resulted in the death of one on yet another day of shame for the Buddhist faith. There has been an endless number of monastic scandals over the past year in Thailand involving Buddhist monks being caught engaging in inappropriate and criminal acts in violation of their monastic vows from fornication to rape, from substance abuse to drink driving, and from theft to embezzlement. The latest, yesterday, involved two monks fighting which resulted in the death of a 64 year old after a clash with a 49 year old at Wat Mai […]

The story A monk dies in yet another day of Buddhist shame in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

This is a sad subject for me. I'm into Buddhism and I have seriously considered ordaining. But problems in the Thai sangha pretty much put an end to that notion. Are there any monasteries in Thailand that are thought to still be keeping the highest standards?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If its Buddhist standards that you are after, you are in wrong country.  Go to Nepal if you want to find a more authentic and spiritual  version.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

This is a sad subject for me. I'm into Buddhism and I have seriously considered ordaining. But problems in the Thai sangha pretty much put an end to that notion. Are there any monasteries in Thailand that are thought to still be keeping the highest standards?

Unfortunately, it's all become a system and business from the top trickling down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Go to Nepal if you want to find a more authentic and spiritual  version.  

OK, thanks, interesting to hear. Do you recommend any specific area to look at? I spent two months in Nepal, but I was in a monastery in Lumbini the entire time, so I didn't get to know the country at all.

2 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

OK, thanks, interesting to hear. Do you recommend any specific area to look at? I spent two months in Nepal, but I was in a monastery in Lumbini the entire time, so I didn't get to know the country at all.

I can't really help.  I was there for the mountains but I was impressed with the various mountain monasteries that we encountered and the Abbots in residence . It seemed to me, as a rank  outsider, that the further into the mountains we were the more spiritual the experience. 

• Like 1

i dont think it is bad blood is the source of this incidents.

in my view the following factors crucially influence 

1) food habits, eating non vegetarian foods.

2) available weapons freely

3) social behavior of surrounding people, including fellow monks, disciples, general people.

4) climatic condition

5) DNA 

Brian, what was your experience in the Lumbini monastery?  Did they speak your language or you theirs? Did you receive daily teachings, spend time in meditation?

15 hours ago, brian60221 said:

The only one I know of by reputation is in Ubon:  https://www.watpahnanachat.org/ 

I hasten to say I remember its reputation from twenty-five years ago, their work teaching quite a few ferangs.
I knew one who was (still is I think) the abbot of a temple near Warwick in the UK.
I'm an atheist, but I was always impressed by dedication of the abbot.

• Like 1

Partly to blame is the fact that many of those who become monks do so to escape "crimes" and the other punishments... you can't change animals behavior by painting it's spots.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skip said:

Partly to blame is the fact that many of those who become monks do so to escape "crimes" and the other punishments... you can't change animals behavior by painting it's spots.

My wife's cousin almost 50 years old but hardly worked a day in his life as he had a foreigner boyfriend who supported him financially. Said boyfriend passed away few years ago and left him with some inheritance.

Usually the inheritance would have lasted him a good 5-6 years but it's all almost finished in less than 2 years. We then asked him what is his plan once the money runs out, is he going to find a job or something?

He said he will either be a monk so that he'll get fed and has a place to stay or commit suicide.