International Drivers License Booklet

So I just got my international drivers license. Do you need to have that booklet you get with you when you are driving, or is the card and your home license good enough to show the Thai police?

• 4 months later...

it is really a pointless semantic argument - an IDL doesn't exist. So people mean IDP when they say IDL.

The distinction between and IDP and an IDL is not always clear. Therefore, please be aware that an International Driving Licence is NOT the same thing as an IDP. An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document. In fact it is probably easiest to say that an International Driving Licence does not really exist. The term is often misused when referring to an International Driving Permit.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 7:08 PM, cowslip said:

it is really a pointless semantic argument - an IDL doesn't exist. So people mean IDP when they say IDL.

The distinction between and IDP and an IDL is not always clear. Therefore, please be aware that an International Driving Licence is NOT the same thing as an IDP. An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document. In fact it is probably easiest to say that an International Driving Licence does not really exist. The term is often misused when referring to an International Driving Permit.  

Exercise in Pedantry😩A Life needing to be got ….

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2022 at 11:31 AM, HansCS said:

So I just got my international drivers license. Do you need to have that booklet you get with you when you are driving, or is the card and your home license good enough to show the Thai police?

It is recommended that you carry both your international driver's license and your home driver's license with you when driving in Thailand. It is considered as a best practice to carry both of these documents as they may be required to be shown to local authorities in the event of a traffic violation or accident. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, Dravenwatson said:

It is recommended that you carry both your international driver's license and your home driver's license with you when driving in Thailand. It is considered as a best practice to carry both of these documents as they may be required to be shown to local authorities in the event of a traffic violation or accident. 

Since that little booklet isn't a driving license, you should carry it and your driving license with  you to show local authorities if asked.

• Like 1