Non-Imm O Visa three months on basis of same sex marriage

My retirement visa expired because of extended stay in my home country, UK, because of Covid restrictions. I am male, married legally in UK to Thai male who mainly lives with me in Thailand. I ultimately wish to obtain a long term non imm O Visa, valid for one year, but understand that I first need to enter on a Non-Imm O Visa valid for three months, and can do this online here in UK.

Will I be ok using my legal UK marriage details as evidence of visiting family and friends? I understand that gay marriage is not valid for long term residence, but hope that it is acceptable for a three month visit. Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

5 hours ago, IanG said:

I ultimately wish to obtain a long term non imm O Visa, valid for one year, but understand that I first need to enter on a Non-Imm O Visa valid for three months, and can do this online here in UK.

Your confused here.
You can either apply for the Non O-A Visa, which grants a stay of 1 year on entry. 

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code
  • Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages
  • A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

OR.

The Non Imm O Visa, which grants a stay of 90 days on entry.

Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)

• Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

You then apply to extend that 90 day stay for 1 year at your local Immigration office, a permit, not a Visa.
Requires 800K THB in a Thai commercial bank in your sole name.

Not sure which Visa type you had before.

Thanks, Faz. My previous visa was retirement Non OA. I’d now prefer Non O to avoid long term insurance, so I’d go for your second option. Can I do this on basis of 65 thousand baht per month? By time of entry I will have ten months 65K transfers established, and by time of application, will have twelve months. I have longstanding account with Bangkok Bank.

4 hours ago, IanG said:

Thanks, Faz. My previous visa was retirement Non OA. I’d now prefer Non O to avoid long term insurance, so I’d go for your second option. Can I do this on basis of 65 thousand baht per month? By time of entry I will have ten months 65K transfers established, and by time of application, will have twelve months. I have longstanding account with Bangkok Bank.

Thanks for that information, Ian.
I seriously doubt you'll be able to apply for the Non O Visa based on a same-sex marriage (spouse), but you can apply online based on retirement. You require the mandatory Health Insurance cover for the Non O application, but only for a period of 90 days, that being the permission you'll be granted to stay on entry.

12 x 65K monthly overseas transfers are acceptable for your 1-year extension application. You don't mention the method of transfer, but request a 12-month bank statement from Bangkok Bank, and they should all be coded as 'International' transfers. The Health Insurance is not required for the 1-year extension application from a Non O Visa entry.

Just one final query - is the health insurance specifically Covid related, and did you really mean 100,000 US dollars? The quote I got is for $60,000. I also read that the amount was being reduced to $10,000.

7 hours ago, IanG said:

Just one final query - is the health insurance specifically Covid related, and did you really mean 100,000 US dollars? The quote I got is for $60,000. I also read that the amount was being reduced to $10,000.

Thailand introduced a mandatory general Health Insurance policy for the Non O-A Visa holders back in Nov 2019 of 400K THB inpatient/40K outpatient cover. This has since been amended to 3M THB and introduced for the Non O Visa applications at Thai Embassies.

They then introduce a Medical Insurance requirement for ALL foreigners entering Thailand regardless of Visa status of $50,000 USD specifically Covid related, which has now been reduced to $10,000 USD from May 1st.
If you were to enter Visa exempt or on a Tourist Visa, only the $10,000 USD Insurance would be required.

The policy required for Non O and Non O-A Visa applications (3M) at Thai Embassies can also be used for the Thailand Pass application, as it far exceeds the entry requirements.

There is an alternative method to obtain a Non O and subsequent 1 year extensions of stay from within Thailand at local Immigration offices, but requires 800K THB in a Thai bank account, that avoids the mandatory 3M BHT Insurance policy.

These policies should include treatment from illness, accident and Covid.

All as clear as mud, eh!

Clear as mud, indeed! I want to avoid the 800 thousand route if I can. If I enter on a two month tourist visa (extendable to 90 days) is it in any way possible to convert to Non O route?. I would use a reliable agent in Chiang Mai.

I am 78 years old, so insurance premiums are likely to be high which is why the Non O route is particularly appealing.

Thank you again for your help.

2 hours ago, IanG said:

Clear as mud, indeed! I want to avoid the 800 thousand route if I can. If I enter on a two month tourist visa (extendable to 90 days) is it in any way possible to convert to Non O route?. I would use a reliable agent in Chiang Mai.

You would currently still require the $10,000 USD Covid Insurance to apply for the Thai Pass to enter Thailand. (The TP may be dropped altogether soon).

You could also enter Visa exempt (without a Visa) which grants a stay of 30 days and extend that for a further 30 days as opposed to applying for a Tourist Visa.

Yes, an agent can obtain both the Non O and 1 year extension on your behalf, but you're probably looking at circa 35K THB for the service without proof of funds.

Thanks again. I have no problem with insurance for the initial 90 days. It is long term medical insurance that I would struggle with because of age.

So, at the risk of imposing on you again, given all the circumstances I have outlined - the wish to use the 65K per month route, plus the minimising of long term medical insurance costs, what do you think my best way forward is in terms of my initial entry to Thailand which is likely to be in late August this year.

Again, many thanks for sticking with me on this! 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, IanG said:

So, at the risk of imposing on you again, given all the circumstances I have outlined - the wish to use the 65K per month route, plus the minimising of long term medical insurance costs, what do you think my best way forward is in terms of my initial entry to Thailand which is likely to be in late August this year.

Immigration will only accept 800K in a Thai bank, or 12 x 65K monthly transfers, or a combination of both over a 12-month period for a 1-year extension of stay.

1. Enter Visa exempt 30 days, extend for a further 30 days.
Agent required for Non O and 1 year extension.
No Health Ins requirement.

2. Tourist Visa 60 days, extend for a further 30 days.
Agent required for Non O and 1 year extension.
No Health Insurance requirement.

3. Non O Visa.
Agent required for 1 year extension.
Health Insurance only required for 90 days to meet the Visa application requirements.

If you transfer 65K per month during your stay, you will then have the required 12 monthly transfers to submit your own 1-year extension application the following year.

Prior to the cessation of Income letters from the UK, US and Australian Embassies, the 3 methods of financial evidence were a) 800K FUNDS in a Thai bank, b) An Embassy INCOME letter, or a combination of both totalling 800K for 1 year.

After these 3 Embassies ceased the Income letters, Immigration issued a new order permitting proof of INCOME through monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank for nationals of those 3 Countries.
Amend 138-2557 (2014 ) clause 2.18-2.22 for Thai bank income ENG.pdf 

Read section 2.22 - retirement.

Which of the above 3 options will save the least time, hassle and expense is the question only you can answer, and is one of personal preference.
Were it me, I'd go for the Non Imm O + 90 day Health cover, then an agent for the 1-year extension.