News Forum - Foreigners willing to invest 30 million baht can now get a work permit with Elite Card

Thaiger

The Thailand Privilege Card company, which operates the Elite Card scheme, has launched a new programme aimed at wealthy foreigners in need of a work permit. For an investment of 30 million baht, the new Flexible Plus Programme will allow eligible (read, rich) foreigners to obtain a work permit. The move is aimed at attracting investors and boosting Thailand’s recovery following the economic devastation of Covid-19. According to a Nation Thailand report, the proposal was approved by Cabinet in October, and investors accepted through the Flexible Plus Programme will also be given the right to work in the kingdom. Those […]

The story Foreigners willing to invest 30 million baht can now get a work permit with Elite Card as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Another desperate dry, their heads are already under the water because of their complete failure and incompetence what destroyed the economy and the country.

Uhh...someone willing to invest 30m baht into the Thai economy most DEFINITELY would not need nor want a work permit. So tell me how this makes sense? Dump the 90 day reporting and allow foreigners to own more than 1 Rai of land. If a Thai person can buy land in the United States where I am from, why can't an American buy Thai land? I understand Thailand was never formally colonized and clings to its traditional ways, but when you look at the influence of ex-pats and the economy, Thailand needs westerners, not the other way around....

Edited by resetamy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

30m baht is a fair price to be allowed work in a shop, like a hairdresser for example. Making up to 18k baht a month could be a dream come true for a millionaire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

Why they just not talk to the investors what attracts them and how are the regulations in neighbouring countries. For example with a german eu passport nobody has any problems to get in Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore a business visa and work permitt with very low fees. Just look around the border to Malaysia german passport you enter get a 3 month visa stamp with no fees and very easy to exten or make a year business visa. I guess it is similiar with a japanese passport or Singapore passport. Example Vietnam is in EU tready agreement and therefore they make good conditions for investments etc. And these are the booming countries in South East Asia and Thailand went down. Is it so complicate to understand? It doesn't matter what the incompetent officials want or wish! Their offers are the worst so why they (investors,businesses, enterprises etc) should not choose the better ones?

• Like 2

How much do I need to invest to be allowed to engage in one of the "prohibited" professions?  I've always dreamed of becoming a Tuk-Tuk driver.  

• Haha 9

50 minutes ago, resetamy said:

Uhh...someone willing to invest 30m baht into the Thai economy most DEFINITELY would not need nor want a work permit. So tell me how this makes sense? Dump the 90 day reporting and allow foreigners to own more than 1 Rai of land. If a Thai person can buy land in the United States where I am from, why can't an American buy Thai land? I understand Thailand was never formally colonized and clings to its traditional ways, but when you look at the influence of ex-pats and the economy, Thailand needs westerners, not the other way around....

Yes in the more booming south east asian countries you have a few for 250 usd for the business visa/work permitt and not all these hoops and mad company regulations for foreigners, they can buy land etc. I really not understand why then somebody should choose instead to pay 30 million baht???? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, resetamy said:

No, Thailand needs investment from anyone and everyone not just from a certain region.

Looking at FDI in 2018 before the pandemic: 

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/ReportPage.aspx?reportID=853&language=eng

Here is the breakdown:

ASEAN: 7.3B

EU: 6.5B

China+HK: 11B

Japan: 12.6B

US: 3.7B

Clearly, Japan & China are the most important source of FDI for Thailand not western countries. Although during the pandemic the US did climb to 3rd spot: 

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Thailand-s-top-investor-is-Japan-again-as-China-slows-spending

Edited by Noble_Design
  • Like 1

Well I read a few months ago Chuwitt was selling off some of or all of his massage soapy parlors. But still the foreinger cannot own all 100% outright, so who cares. Who are these i d i o t s coming up with these ideas? Are they all inbreds? This is just not a new cockamamie thing, as it seems that all of these overly intelligent elite have come up with these brilliant ideas for decades now.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, resetamy said:

Uhh...someone willing to invest 30m baht into the Thai economy most DEFINITELY would not need nor want a work permit. So tell me how this makes sense?

Well, I certainly agree with that bit - 30 million for a work permit!!!

31 minutes ago, resetamy said:

Dump the 90 day reporting and allow foreigners to own more than 1 Rai of land.

Well, the 90 day is an inconvenience but hardly a major drama - a few minutes on the internet or at the Post Office.

Own land? You can't even own less than a rai, so why more than a rai?

36 minutes ago, resetamy said:

If a Thai person can buy land in the United States where I am from, why can't an American buy Thai land?

The same old chestnut.

Why should there be reciprocity over one thing, just to suit some people, but not others?

Why would anyone invest $1m in a country with a less than stable political history to obtain a work visa? There are numerous other countries who will grant citizenship for a similar investment. It's also interesting to note that the UK is cancelling its Golden Visa program as it attracts the wrong type of 'investor'. 

• Like 4

Do the Thai government really think that someone who can afford to invest 30,000,000 Baht in Thailand needs a work permit?

who are these people making these decisions?

People who want to continue living here and can’t afford to might be the ones who could get a work permit?

win win?

Tax and money spent?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

No, Thailand needs investment from anyone and everyone not just from a certain region.

Looking at FDI in 2018 before the pandemic: 

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/ReportPage.aspx?reportID=853&language=eng

Here is the breakdown:

ASEAN: 7.3B

EU: 6.5B

China+HK: 11B

Japan: 12.6B

US: 3.7B

Clearly, Japan & China are the most important source of FDI for Thailand not western countries. Although during the pandemic the US did climb to 3rd spot: 

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Thailand-s-top-investor-is-Japan-again-as-China-slows-spending

Invests moved out already 2017 especially SME. Eu companies started after 2014 to stop or lower investments because of the unstable situation, unstable regulations and the bad economy situation in Thailand and put more investments in their branches or new enterprises in Vietnam and Singapore. In 2017 I saw also the ones with 2 passports ( Thai and eu passport) moving their businesses to neighbouring countries mostly to Vietnam. By the way the same happened mostly sme from Hong Kong and Japan.

The TAT has been given a new plaything - work permits!

Expect more complete idiotic programs that make no financial sense to anyone, or serve any real purpose to who they aim to sell them.

So then these people get a "freelance workpermit", no employer, no workplace, no workdescription, no salary stated?  What is next step? For 64 Million investment, they get citizenship and protection against extradiction? 

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Thailand Privilege Card company, which operates the Elite Card scheme, has launched a new programme aimed at wealthy foreigners in need of a work permit. For an investment of 30 million baht, the new Flexible Plus Programme will allow eligible (read, rich) foreigners to obtain a work permit. The move is aimed at attracting investors and boosting Thailand’s recovery following the economic devastation of Covid-19. According to a Nation Thailand report, the proposal was approved by Cabinet in October, and investors accepted through the Flexible Plus Programme will also be given the right to work in the kingdom. Those […]

The story Foreigners willing to invest 30 million baht can now get a work permit with Elite Card as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If I had 30 million baht, I wouldn't give a carp about getting a work permit in Thailand. 

Edited by Lawyers_Guns_and_Money
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great way to blow 32 million baht which will end up in the hands of the Thai's.

Proves the Thai government can't manage the economy well enough so it supports domestic business only so they need foreigners to bring in the money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bangkok said:

Great way to blow 32 million baht which will end up in the hands of the Thai's.

Proves the Thai government can't manage the economy well enough so it supports domestic business only so they need foreigners to bring in the money.

Your user name has already fallen out of use

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

If I had 30 million baht, I wouldn't give a carp about getting a work permit in Thailand. 

Both crap and carp are applicable in this instance i think, heh

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, resetamy said:

❤ this chick

Apart from the instability of the country, I don't see any necessary details such, as will you still need a majority Thai partner? Then of course, like everything else TH gov proposed, there is a likelihood that this week's "good idea", will be replaced with an even "better idea" next week. So you've invested your $1 mill in good faith, and next week, the rules have changed.

Then there is the issue, that it does not say what industries are eligible for these investments. As so many Farangs aspire to "brothel keeping", will that be included? 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If I needed to work, I might give some thought to this. However, I'm not planning to work so current visa system is fine.

So you wouldn't be tempted by 500THB a day working in construction (hahaha)?

• Like 1

Well, maybe these ideas aren't so outrageous to the ones who concoct them as maybe in reality 30,000,000 to them for what they are worth is a drop in a spittoon bucket for them.