TM30 app

I don’t know if readers already know but TM30 notification can now be done by installing an app called Section 38. I arrived back under Test and Go  from overseas on 7 January and installed the app the next day, registered as the owner of a condo and submitted my T30 with ease. The whole process took me 10 minutes. It certainly beats my old method of notification by registered post and copying documents. I’ll try to attach the user guide if I can.

Incidentally despite anticipating difficulties of some form the whole test and go entry process went like clockwork and I was impressed by the assistance received from staff who had obviously been well trained in reviewing and collating the necessary documents. Of course it helped that I had spent extensive time to make sure that I understood the requirements and had all required documents to hand 

I hope this is of interest and I am not repeating information already posted on the forum 

Manual of TM30 Registration via mobile application Section 38.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,
And thanks for your information and report.

Not sure if your aware, but since June 20th 2020, if now returning to the same registered residence from a trip, even overseas, the requirement to file a new TM30 is no longer required. You are now only required to file a new TM30 if you move to a new permanent address.

TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

Hi Steve,

Not sure if your aware, but since June 20th 2020, if now returning to the same registered residence from a trip, even overseas, the requirement to file a new TM30 is no longer required. You are now only required to file a new TM30 if you move to a new permanent address.

TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf 41.16 kB · 0 downloads

I own a condo in Chiang Mai and on my return in October 2021 only had to give my passport to the TM30 counter, no form, they gave me a receipt stapled in my passport. In 2019 they didn't staple anything in it. Seems like it's all on the computer now.

20 minutes ago, Faz said:

Hi Steve,

TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf 41.16 kB · 3 downloads

I didn’t know that but thanks for letting me know. I am actually on Thailand Elite visa and their staff advised me to submit TM30 via the app upon reentry. Anyway it’s done now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

Hi Steve,

TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf 41.16 kB · 1 download

Thanks Faz - I went into a bit of a panic when I thought that they had re-introduced that fascist-regime china-like TM30 reporting rule.  So was the wife - we have agreed that if they ever go down that path again we aint ever going to stay in Thailand again. We traveled a lot inside Thailand and the re-intreoduction of the TM30 and being fined for not complying (several times) was the final straw, and it tipped the balance to us leaving and living in Aust until I get the Pension, rather than going back later and waiting 2 years.  This media summary below from that time years ago says it all, and I do hope they never re-introduce it or any other such 'fascist' rules for Expats ever again.

The initial introduction of TM30 placed the onus of reporting on the landlords of accommodation let to foreigners, but many landlords refused to comply and passed the responsibility on to their tenants, thus forcing them to pay fines of between 800 and 2,000 baht if they don’t or can’t report. As a result, mutterings about landlord tax evasion were heard in several favourite expat hubs. National and international media outlets have had a field day with the story since an expat-aimed online petition was started in July. The coverage provided even more negative publicity for the country as a business and retiree hub at a time when tourism is shrinking and many long-stay expats have either left or are planning to leave for friendlier shores.

l will never forget when at one of those Expats meetings with Thai Officials, after it had been clearly explained and shown in detail that Expats cannot report within 24 hrs and were being unfairly fined, the 2IC of the Immigration 'Police' in Bangkok said:  "That is the Law".   When some people in the back starting giggling he became extremely angry and even more aggressive and negative (if that was possible).  After that the strategy became to go 'above' the Immigration Police and use the Media - and it worked.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Thanks Faz - I went into a bit of a panic when I thought that they had re-introduced that fascist-regime china-like TM30 reporting rule.  So was the wife - we have agreed that if they ever go down that path again we aint ever going to stay in Thailand again. We traveled a lot inside Thailand and the re-intreoduction of the TM30 and being fined for not complying (several times) was the final straw, and it tipped the balance to us leaving and living in Aust until I get the Pension, rather than going back later and waiting 2 years.  This media summary below from that time years ago says it all, and I do hope they never re-introduce it or any other such 'fascist' rules for Expats ever again.

The initial introduction of TM30 placed the onus of reporting on the landlords of accommodation let to foreigners, but many landlords refused to comply and passed the responsibility on to their tenants, thus forcing them to pay fines of between 800 and 2,000 baht if they don’t or can’t report. As a result, mutterings about landlord tax evasion were heard in several favourite expat hubs. National and international media outlets have had a field day with the story since an expat-aimed online petition was started in July. The coverage provided even more negative publicity for the country as a business and retiree hub at a time when tourism is shrinking and many long-stay expats have either left or are planning to leave for friendlier shores.

l will never forget when at one of those Expats meetings with Thai Officials, after it had been clearly explained and shown in detail that Expats cannot report within 24 hrs and were being unfairly fined, the 2IC of the Immigration 'Police' in Bangkok said:  "That is the Law".   When some people in the back starting giggling he became extremely angry and even more aggressive and negative (if that was possible).  After that the strategy became to go 'above' the Immigration Police and use the Media - and it worked.  

Sorry if my post gave you reason to be concerned. I suspect that a quirk of the Elite visa is that I get a stay permit for one year upon entering Thailand rather than a stay permit valid until the end of my visa ( 5 years). During covid travel restrictions I was able to extend my stay by a further year in country  when my stay permit expired but didn’t have to submit a new TM30 as I didn’t change my place of stay. When working here my stay permit was always until the expiry of my non B visa which was typically less than a year when I returned from overseas travel . FYI expat friends living in Malaysia currently have a choice between 10 days quarantine in a state quarantine center or 10 days home quarantine with an electronic tag attached that triggers an alarm if they venture more than 50m from home so Thailand’s test and go requirements with a day one and 5 pcr test ( the latter paid by the government) with a requirement to keep a contact tracing app on my phone for 14 days seem very reasonable in comparison 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

This media summary below from that time years ago says it all, and I do hope they never re-introduce it or any other such 'fascist' rules for Expats ever again.

The initial introduction of the TM30 has never placed the onus of filing such purely on the landlords.
The requirement and the persons responsible to file are detailed under section 38 and section 4 of the Thai Immigration Act of 1979. Foreigners were fined because they are as equally responsible as the landlords.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Section 4, defines the definition of 'house-master' under the Immigration Act.

Section 4 “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Foreigners who have been fined but mistakenly believe the onus lay on the owner/landlord to file a TM30 were simply ignorant of the law.

40 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

l will never forget when at one of those Expats meetings with Thai Officials, after it had been clearly explained and shown in detail that Expats cannot report within 24 hrs and were being unfairly fined, the 2IC of the Immigration 'Police' in Bangkok said:  "That is the Law". 

Why can't a foreigner file within 24 hours, that appears a feeble excuse?
Why would they even argue it's impossible for foreigners to file within 24 hours, if they believe it's the landlords responsibility in the first instance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Faz said:

Why can't a foreigner file within 24 hours, that appears a feeble excuse? Why would they even argue it's impossible for foreigners to file within 24 hours, if they believe it's the landlords responsibility in the first instance.

Travel.  We traveled a lot. If the hotel didnt report me staying a week, I was fined when going for next 90 day report (sometimes).  Remember, if you stayed anywhere over 24 hrs you had to report. 

• Like 1

Does this app require any input or approval from your local immigration office?  Can you print out a new slip without their involvement?

I suspect my IO won't use this as they still insist on me doing one in person on my return from a holiday in another province. It's not a great hardhip as I pass the office on my return home, but it would still be beneficial.

So as a 'tenant' in my wifes house, can I register as the housemaster? I am afraid the wife is not very literate so she would struggle to register and use the app, even in Thai.

10 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Does this app require any input or approval from your local immigration office?  Can you print out a new slip without their involvement?

I suspect my IO won't use this as they still insist on me doing one in person on my return from a holiday in another province. It's not a great hardhip as I pass the office on my return home, but it would still be beneficial.

So as a 'tenant' in my wifes house, can I register as the housemaster? I am afraid the wife is not very literate so she would struggle to register and use the app, even in Thai.

Once you have registered and received your user id and password you can submit your TM30 notification by entering your passport number date of entry TM 6 card number etc and the notification shows up in your account immediately. No approval by immigration officers are required once your initial registration is accepted. I received my user name and password minutes after submitting my registration. According to the response I received from Thailand Elite staff when I asked them I can print out a screen shot of the notification page which shows your name, address TM6 number passport number etc and use it as evidence of TM30 notification when submitting my 90 day report.You might be able to register on behalf of your wife by using her name with your email address address and uploading a copy of the house deeds. Hope this is useful

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Once you have registered and received your user id and password you can submit your TM30 notification by entering your passport number date of entry TM 6 card number etc and the notification shows up in your account immediately. No approval by immigration officers are required once your initial registration is accepted. I received my user name and password minutes after submitting my registration. According to the response I received from Thailand Elite staff when I asked them I can print out a screen shot of the notification page which shows your name, address TM6 number passport number etc and use it as evidence of TM30 notification when submitting my 90 day report.You might be able to register on behalf of your wife by using her name with your email address address and uploading a copy of the house deeds. Hope this is useful

I will try that thanks. If I don't get confirmation of registration it may mean my local IO are not participating. Let's hope the approval is not a local process.

Is a telephone photo of the documents acceptable or do they require a scanned image?

11 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I will try that thanks. If I don't get confirmation of registration it may mean my local IO are not participating. Let's hope the approval is not a local process.

Is a telephone photo of the documents acceptable or do they require a scanned image?

My registration was approved so quickly and on a Sunday that I suspect that it was an automated process so your local IO may not have a choice . I would think that as long as text is legible a phone photo should be okay. The guide that I attached to my OP gives guidance on the type of documents that need to be uploaded. Just try it and see what happens. Note that the first email you got will be a link to confirm your email address. I used a Gmail email address as I have had problems in the past using other email addresses with government applications but that might be coincidence 

Edited by Stevejm
Update
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I just had a look at the new registration page and the registration for Thai citizens appears to be in English so you might be able to enter your wife’s details in English characters and add her ID card number

Thai citizens TM30 .png

Edited by Stevejm
Add image
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

My registration was approved so quickly and on a Sunday that I suspect that it was an automated process so your local IO may not have a choice . I would think that as long as text is legible a phone photo should be okay. The guide that I attached to my OP gives guidance on the type of documents that need to be uploaded. Just try it and see what happens. Note that the first email you got will be a link to confirm your email address. I used a Gmail email address as I have had problems in the past using other email addresses with government applications but that might be coincidence 

Thanks again

What is the difference between the House Registration and Blue Book? Have the blue book but what's the house registration document? Never been asked for that.

6 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Thanks again

What is the difference between the House Registration and Blue Book? Have the blue book but what's the house registration document? Never been asked for that.

It is possibly the title deeds for the house or condo. It is the document that proves who owns the property as far as I know. I believe that the blue book documents the people who are registered at a particular address 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I must admit I am confused on the TM30. I normally stay in Thailand on a 90 day child supporting visa. I register my GFs house as my residence while in Thailand. If I stay somewhere other than a hotel do I need to register a TM30 with immigration or local police station if I am there overnight? I obviously dont do 90 day reporting as my visa is only 90 days. I am currently looking at retirement visa in Cambo and Phillipines until the retire visa gets easier in Thailand.

1 hour ago, hughcow said:

I register my GFs house as my residence while in Thailand

Do you mean that you put your GF’s house as your address on the TM6 arrival card?

On 7/5/2022 at 10:09 AM, hughcow said:

I must admit I am confused on the TM30. I normally stay in Thailand on a 90 day child supporting visa.

Non Imm O Visa I assume.

If I stay somewhere other than a hotel do I need to register a TM30 with immigration or local police station if I am there overnight?

No. If you're returning to the same residence as registered with Immigration, there is now no requirement to file a new TM30.

I am currently looking at retirement visa in Cambo and Phillipines until the retire visa gets easier in Thailand.

It won't get any easier.
You have the option of marrying your girlfriend, or being legalised as the Father of the child, then you can obtain a 1-year extension based on Thai spouse/child, only 400K required.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Do you mean that you put your GF’s house as your address on the TM6 arrival card?

I'm pretty sure he means the TM30.

3 hours ago, Faz said:

I'm pretty sure he means the TM30.

Okay. Then he might want to set up the TM30 app for his GF’s house if she owns it which would make life a lot easier whenever he visits in future. However if he only visits for 90 days at a time would he ever need to produce the TM30?

It makes no difference if his girlfriend owns, rents, or the parents/friends property, providing a copy of the house registration (Tabien Baan) and copy of the ID card of the person named in the book as the 'head of household' is sufficient as proof of address.

Since June 2020, new regulations state, once a TM30 has been filed to notify Immigration of the foreigner's place of residence, there is now no requirement to file a further TM30 if you stay elsewhere but return to the registered address within your current permission of stay permit.
If your permission of stay, or Visa expires, and you make a new entry, then a new TM30 must be filed.

TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf 

2. Notification of a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager, who takes in, as a resident, an alien permitted to temporary stay in the Kingdom must proceed as follows;

2.1 Notify a competent official at an Immigration office located in a locality in which the house, dwelling place or hotel is located within twenty four hours from the time an alien has taken residence. In case that house, dwelling place or hotel, where an alien has stayed, is located in Bangkok Metropolis locality, such notification shall be made to a competent official at Immigration Division 1 of Immigration Bureau.

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1, then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay that has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again.

The alien mentioned in paragraph 1 shall include any alien receiving a multiply entry visa who departs the Kingdom and returns within the validity of visa and any alien permitted to re-enter into the Kingdom with a valid re-entry permit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for info. What was confusing me is i sometimes go to stay with friends for a couple of nights.

Thanks Faz. I am already registered on my daughters birth certificate as the father. It's not the 800K. I have a chronic dislike of paperwork anywhere but I can probably cope with 90 day reporting.

I think even if I get an elite visa I am still subject to reporting requirements anyway.

3 minutes ago, hughcow said:

Thanks Faz. I am already registered on my daughters birth certificate as the father. It's not the 800K. I have a chronic dislike of paperwork anywhere but I can probably cope with 90 day reporting.

Being registered on your daughter's birth certificate would be sufficient evidence as the Father to obtain the Non O single entry, or the Non O multi entry visa (where available) from a Thai Embassy.
However, if you ever wanted to apply for the 1-year extension of stay from local Immigration offices, then merely being named as the Father on the child's birth certificate is not acceptable.

If unmarried, you'd need to be 'legalised' as the Father of the child - unless you married the Mother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hughcow said:

Thanks everyone for info. What was confusing me is i sometimes go to stay with friends for a couple of nights.

I think even if I get an elite visa I am still subject to reporting requirements anyway.

I have an Elite visa and you do still have to do TM30 and 90 day reports but if you are in BKK they can do the 90 day for you. I now do both TM30 and 90 day via the app so inconvenience level is minimal. ( note that first 90 day has to be done manually but subsequent ones go through the app). TE are also very responsive to any immigration or other issues that may concern you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I have an Elite visa and you do still have to do TM30 and 90 day reports but if you are in BKK they can do the 90 day for you. I now do both TM30 and 90 day via the app so inconvenience level is minimal. ( note that first 90 day has to be done manually but subsequent ones go through the app). TE are also very responsive to any immigration or other issues that may concern you.

So you have paid to get an Elite visa and yet you have to do all the immigration stuff that the rest of us do, bar a yearly extension; is that it?    I just don't get it, what possible motive do you have for that type of expensive visa? I use an agent for my yearly extension, so over 5 years, I will pay him approx. 75,000 Baht and he does my 90 day free,  or I do it online? I'm not being critical, just curious.