TM30 app

49 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

So you have paid to get an Elite visa and yet you have to do all the immigration stuff that the rest of us do, bar a yearly extension; is that it?    I just don't get it, what possible motive do you have for that type of expensive visa? I use an agent for my yearly extension, so over 5 years, I will pay him approx. 75,000 Baht and he does my 90 day free,  or I do it online? I'm not being critical, just curious.  

As I said I do my 90 day and TM30 through the app. I have to get an annual stay extension but that’s automatic if you leave the country which I do every year at Xmas. During Covid I couldn’t travel so I had to get a stay extension in country and TE sent a rep with me to Chaengwattana to walk me through the process. My reasons for getting the TE visa were that I had just been made redundant in 2019 and liked the idea of having a 5 year visa that I could pay for in THB without having to import my forex savings to get a retirement visa. Also I was looking for a new job and if I got a job I could have the non B in my passport at the same time as the TE so if say I got a 1 year contract job I could reenter on the TE after my contract expired without having to reapply for a retirement visa. As it happened I got a one year contract offer but couldn’t take it because of travel restrictions ( thanks Covid!). You can’t change purpose without leaving the country so I would have to leave and get a non  B in say SG then reenter which was impossible in mid 2021. All things considered I am very happy with my decision to get a TE although it won’t suit everyone. No queuing at the airport and free airport transfers by limo are a nice bonus along with free lounge access. Does that satisfy your curiosity?😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevejm said:

As I said I do my 90 day and TM30 through the app. I have to get an annual stay extension but that’s automatic if you leave the country which I do every year at Xmas. During Covid I couldn’t travel so I had to get a stay extension in country and TE sent a rep with me to Chaengwattana to walk me through the process. My reasons for getting the TE visa were that I had just been made redundant in 2019 and liked the idea of having a 5 year visa that I could pay for in THB without having to import my forex savings to get a retirement visa. Also I was looking for a new job and if I got a job I could have the non B in my passport at the same time as the TE so if say I got a 1 year contract job I could reenter on the TE after my contract expired without having to reapply for a retirement visa. As it happened I got a one year contract offer but couldn’t take it because of travel restrictions ( thanks Covid!). You can’t change purpose without leaving the country so I would have to leave and get a non  B in say SG then reenter which was impossible in mid 2021. All things considered I am very happy with my decision to get a TE although it won’t suit everyone. No queuing at the airport and free airport transfers by limo are a nice bonus along with free lounge access. Does that satisfy your curiosity?😄

Thank you for the detailed explanation, which I did not expect. Makes sense to me now. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

So you have paid to get an Elite visa and yet you have to do all the immigration stuff that the rest of us do, bar a yearly extension; is that it? 

The Elite Visa is valid for 5 years, but each permission of stay is only valid 1 year.
You either have to leave and re-enter each year, or apply for a 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

@Pinetree, what do you find confusing about my post?

I also wondered why he was confused. For the benefit of anyone who finds themself in the same situation that I did I would just like to add that it is possible to get the TE visa put into your passport and have your stay extended by a year without leaving Thailand after you finish work. The procedure is:

1) Cancel your WP at Dept of Labor.

2) Cancel your non immigrant visa at immigration. They will give you 7 days to leave Thailand.

3) Go to Chaeng Wattana Immigration Office within the 7 days to have the TE visa put in your passport and they will also give you a 1 year extension of stay ( TE rep will go with you to do this).

In my case I felt like having  a holiday after finishing work so I just went to KL for a few days then TE staff met me at the airport on my return and arranged for immigration to put the visa in my passport together with 1 year stay permission. Note that 10 year and 20 year TE memberships are also available but they put a new visa in your passport every 5 years. 

On 7/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, Pinetree said:

So you have paid to get an Elite visa and yet you have to do all the immigration stuff that the rest of us do, bar a yearly extension; is that it?    I just don't get it, what possible motive do you have for that type of expensive visa? I use an agent for my yearly extension, so over 5 years, I will pay him approx. 75,000 Baht and he does my 90 day free,  or I do it online? I'm not being critical, just curious.  

Largely about the image thing.

Just a guess.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Largely about the image thing.

Just a guess.

No need to guess as I already answered the question that was directed at me. If you need me to simplify it the reasons are:

Using THB earned in Thailand to facilitate my visa rather than forex

One time application for a 5 year visa rather annual renewal.

Possibility of working in Thailand without cancelling my 5 year visa.

Not sure where the image idea even comes from.

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, Faz said:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

This is the problem... you notice it states that one must "notify the competent official of the immigration office... I can't find one!

36 minutes ago, Skipalong said:
On 1/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, Faz said:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

This is the problem... you notice it states that one must "notify the competent official of the immigration office... I can't find one!

Is there a serious question or comment there? You do realize that in this context competent is a legal term don’t you? If not…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competent_authority

Just wanted to touch base for a warm and fuzzy reassurance that the former requirement for a TM30 is (still) not required after returning from a trip abroad.   Returned Thailand Tuesday morning, 1 night in BKK hotel where, as usual, copy of my passport at check-in desk, and then home next day, same address, no change there.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWS60 said:

Just wanted to touch base for a warm and fuzzy reassurance that the former requirement for a TM30 is (still) not required after returning from a trip abroad.   Returned Thailand Tuesday morning, 1 night in BKK hotel where, as usual, copy of my passport at check-in desk, and then home next day, same address, no change there.

Thanks. 

See the previous post by @Faz on this subject.

https://talk.thethaiger.com/topic/9952-tm30-app/?do=findComment&comment=227945

My understanding is that resubmission of TM30 is not required under most circumstances but I would suggest that you read the above post carefully. If using the app resubmission is so straightforward anyway. In my case I have a TE visa and will reenter under a new stay permit so I will probably resubmit a TM30 when I return from my Xmas trip to UK

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Thanks. 

Correct.
The only requirement to file a new TM30 now is if you move to a new permanent address.
The requirement to refile a new TM30 if taking a trip elsewhere, but returning to the same registered address later, is no longer required according to an Immigration order amending the rule.

New TM30 Immigration reporting regulation; TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Correct.
The only requirement to file a new TM30 now is if you move to a new permanent address.
The requirement to refile a new TM30 if taking a trip elsewhere, but returning to the same registered address later, is no longer required according to an Immigration order amending the rule.

Thanks. I had to read the regulation carefully ( always a good idea anyway!) to spot the subtle change which mentions that persons on a multiple entry visa ( like TE) don’t have to renotify when leaving and returning to Thailand within the period of validity of the visa. Same for people traveling on reentry permits on other visa types. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:15 AM, Stevejm said:

Is there a serious question or comment there? You do realize that in this context competent is a legal term don’t you? If not…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competent_authority

A competent authority is any person or organization that has the legally delegated or invested authority, capacity, or power to perform a designated function. 

I was referring to the capacity part of the equation...

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Faz said:

Correct.

Tell that to the immigration officer who required it when I returned from Pai and tried to do my 90 day report... 

Section 37 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) also stipulates that a foreigner residing in Thailand should notify the police station if he/she visits another province for more than 24 hours from the time of arrival. This would mean that a short weekend trip from Bangkok to Phuket would cause more red tape, even when you have already done all the basic TM30 reporting.

8 minutes ago, Skipalong said:

Section 37 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) also stipulates that a foreigner residing in Thailand should notify the police station if he/she visits another province for more than 24 hours from the time of arrival. This would mean that a short weekend trip from Bangkok to Phuket would cause more red tape, even when you have already done all the basic TM30 reporting.

Read the order. 
It amends section 37 requirements.
Don't expect every IO to be familiar with the order, because they're not.

• Like 2

Thanks all.   Haven't kept up during a multi-year pause on travel during COVID.  Was literally pulling my boots yesterday for the trip to Immigration, but thought I'd check in here first to jog the remaining memory brain cell.    Nice one, thanks again.  Cheers, TWS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skipalong said:

Tell that to the immigration officer who required it when I returned from Pai and tried to do my 90 day report... 

Out of interest how did the IO know that you had been to Pai? Presumably you were able to show the IO your TM30 receipt corresponding to your last entry to Thailand? 

9 hours ago, Faz said:

Don't expect every IO to be familiar with the order, because they're not.

Why not... it's their job to be... that's the problem

5 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Out of interest how did the IO know that you had been to Pai? Presumably you were able to show the IO your TM30 receipt corresponding to your last entry to Thailand? 

The hotel in Pai sent in a tm30... as they are now required to do... so even if you live permanently in Thailand your tm30 changes every time the hotel does what they are supposed to do under the new edict.

10 hours ago, Skipalong said:

A competent authority is any person or organization that has the legally delegated or invested authority, capacity, or power to perform a designated function. 

I was referring to the capacity part of the equation...

Capacity refers to the ability to do something properly

36 minutes ago, Skipalong said:

Why not... it's their job to be... that's the problem

Ah! You must be new to Thailand then.

If you're expecting the staff at Immigration, Amphoes and banks to be competent, knowledgeable and efficient, then you're going to be sadly disappointed.

Of course, being a responsible, competent alien staying in a foreign Country and fully aware of Immigration policies, I assume you informed the IO of his misunderstanding?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1