Love those Circle Intersections in Udon Thani!

GMoney2312

5 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

A circle followed by a half circle- and love all the cars that double park along the way!

https://rumble.com/vs5noo-udon-thani-circle-intersections-thailand.html

I'm from Boston 

We call them rotaries and pretty much thr only place in US that has them 

Can be intimidating for "non-circle" drivers  😀

• Like 2

That are real circles, love Udon for them!!

Looking at the few in Phuket, only the one or two mid town is/are a real one by size.

And both of them seem to have less traffic, than the little on with 5 (five) roads in Chalong

Aside that about 50% of the people still don't really understand, how a circle works, that stopping the people IN the circle by driving in, no matter what, is 'disturbing' the flow of ALL, to get out of the circle. 

Not even the BiBs understanding it, which are 'ruling' the traffic in the said Chalong circle often. With the result of even more/longer lines of waiting cars!

Edited by Guest1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

A circle followed by a half circle- and love all the cars that double park along the way!

https://rumble.com/vs5noo-udon-thani-circle-intersections-thailand.html

They're called roundabouts, don't you have them in your part of the US?  Udon Thani drivers seem pretty ok with them but here in CM we get too many clueless idiots, mainly from Bangkok, who don't follow any rules.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

They're called roundabouts, don't you have them in your part of the US?

Hardly any in The US

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

They're called roundabouts, don't you have them in your part of the US?  Udon Thani drivers seem pretty ok with them but here in CM we get too many clueless idiots, mainly from Bangkok, who don't follow any rules.

Really just in Boston 

It really fcuks people up visiting trying to drive into them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I'm from Boston 

We call them rotaries and pretty much thr only place in US that has them 

Can be intimidating for "non-circle" drivers  😀

I fell foul of one of the only ones in Colorado. Fun watching Americans trying to negotiate them,  bit like the Thais,  but with much more colourful language.

Note the spelling of colour my American friends.  

• Like 2

i remember the one in chalong well!!it worked fine most of the day till about 3 oclock pm ,thats when the bib shows up and then traffic is backed up to rawaii pier!!!

• Like 1

here in north carolina we now have those popping up all over the state.and so far we have quite a few insurance claims! lots fender benders.

• Like 1

We have a double roundabout near me. Epic fun watching the chaos, cutting up and jumping out that goes on.  A good clear set of give way signs would  help 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I fell foul of one of the only ones in Colorado. Fun watching Americans trying to negotiate them,  bit like the Thais,  but with much more colourful language.

Note the spelling of colour my American friends.  

Well if you were in Colorado.

It would be colorful   😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Really just in Boston 

It really fcuks people up visiting trying to drive into them 

We used to have many in New Jersey. About 25 years ago they started changing them to overpasses or just large intersections. I liked the circles. If it was all locals, things moved much quicker. The problem was when an out-of-stater was around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlton_Circle

Edited by stevenkongju
addition

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I use to live in Udon a few years back and there is a set of lights opposite the Market and KFC in the Center of town on a cross road Junction. They have a timer and in busy times its like Brands hatch as soon as the clock goes off 1 second there off 555. So some guru decided to put a roundabout on the junction and overnight curved flag stones were placed to form a circle complete with a grassed surface and plants in the middle. I watched the locals attempt to negotiate the roundabout a few went round the wrong way and others simply ignored it and just drove straight over it it lasted 3 days then it was back to the old junction.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rain said:

On the contrary, they can be found most everywhere throughout most major US cities.

I don't know about the east coast but they're not common in the west. There probably a safety hazard. I'll have to ask my daughter who is a traffic engineer.

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Oh come.on, Boys in Brown

Geez, give me a break! Its Boys in Blue in the States and I rarely even see police here! But I did get stopped at an ID check in town and had my Thai DL- I think the guy was shocked I had it!

44 minutes ago, Rain said:

On the contrary, they can be found most everywhere throughout most major US cities.

Then living in Houston and then Southern California and a bit in Arizona proved to be the three places they are not...

• Like 1