Love those Circle Intersections in Udon Thani!

GMoney2312

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Yep, I’ll take a look, I remember when I tried to upload a dash cam video to show the resolution of the 70Mai it would only allow a 6 sec video !!

Leave it with me .

I've got the same dashcam.  You need to resize it via an editing program, plenty of free downloads available, like this one > https://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 11:23 AM, GMoney2312 said:

Hardly any in The US

“traffic circles” in US (never heard that “rotaries” term). 
 Very Rare in US like “Give Way” signs. 
USA prefers “ Stop”’ signs with traffic -lighted Crossroads.

UK & AUS prefer Roundabouts / Give Way for best traffic flow with Stop signs extremely rare. 

Thais have zero training, so zero clue, on roundabout driving. Free for all ! 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

In reality a roundabout is not needed in this location but there is a problem in the shape of a big f&ck off Chedi on top of it .

A video might take a while, Sunday traffic here can be a pain, but I will get some dash cam footage when i next pass by there. Having said that I think there’s a pitiful limit on uploading video here, 9mb ??

In lieu of that here’s a couple of photos:

BB3F62D8-4067-4961-890E-DFE263927C2D.jpeg.515075f609696afbca3b377658403ea3.jpeg

7C1F5465-14A4-479F-9290-8DB126F7CF60.jpeg.c873bf58fcd6c90ceb4fc480b174ecd5.jpeg

Another issue is that the traffic lights show a straight up arrow and a right turn arrow, on a couple of occasions I have seen out of towners ( or “ mau yaba” as my gf calls them ) turning right and going the wrong way round, thankfully the traffic lights means no oncoming traffic ….. except for the odd chancer on a motorbike of course !!

Looks to be the one in Ayutthaya

• Like 1

Roundabouts are great for places where traffics are not so busy since it's basically a self regulating system, no need for traffic lights so pretty much maintenance free and no breakdowns due to malfunctioning traffic lights/ power cuts etc.

However it's just not feasible in the city as it would cause jams due to unbalance flow of traffics, especially if one of the converging lanes seems to have more traffic going into the roundabouts than the rest. Also roundabouts are kinda a waste of space unless you have some monuments in the middle (like that chedi in Ayutthaya in the picture above or Victory Monument). 

Most of the old roundabouts from where I came from has been replaced with traffic lights and much of the space/land has been reclaimed for other purposes. In any case if the roundabout is not able to be removed then installing traffic lights making them roundabout/traffic lights hybrid seems to be the way to go.