30 days visa extension or 60 days covid extension. Need an advice.

Zmicier

Covid extensions can be convenient but they are not designed to be. If you want them to be convenient your best bet is to go to a smaller immigration office or better yet use an agent . 

I had never used one here before but after several friends used them for long term visas and arranging all Thailand Pass , quarantines., whatever and having good luck I gave one a try and am happy.

Edited by MikeV
  • Like 1

Hi there,

Could someone share the covid extension affidavit? I can not find it anywhere and the one on page 1 is not available anymore.

Thanks!

Edit: All good, I got it, just needed to be registered on this website...

Edited by Edouard

6 hours ago, Edouard said:

Hi there,

Could someone share the covid extension affidavit? I can not find it anywhere and the one on page 1 is not available anymore.

Thanks!

Edit: All good, I got it, just needed to be registered on this website...

Further Covid extensions at Immigrations discretion may not be issued unless you can provide a valid reason for not being able to leave in the future.

On 2/14/2022 at 7:53 PM, Faz said:

Further Covid extensions at Immigrations discretion may not be issued unless you can provide a valid reason for not being able to leave in the future.

Faz, from the reports here it doesn't seem that a return/onward flight ticket is requested, especially for the first covid extension. Any thoughts? Would a flight out dated a few days before the 60-day extension be extra "insurance", or they might need to see a cancelled flight dated before the application?

2 hours ago, Leo said:

Faz, from the reports here it doesn't seem that a return/onward flight ticket is requested, especially for the first covid extension. Any thoughts? Would a flight out dated a few days before the 60-day extension be extra "insurance", or they might need to see a cancelled flight dated before the application?

As I previously stated, certain Immigration offices may well issue a further 60 day Covid extension prior to March 25th, simply by ticking one of the 3 boxes as previous procedures.
Others may refuse unless you can provide evidence against one of the 3 reasons why you cannot return.

1. I am not permitted to enter the destination Country or the pandemic situation of Covid 19 is still ongoing.
2. The Embassy/Consulate is unable to issue the letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay.
3. No return flight or airline available.
60 Day Covid Extension Affidavit.pdf 

We'll get a better idea of Immigrations intentions as we get nearer the cut of date and more reports come in.

If and only if, the Malaysian border does open at the end of February, then there will be an opportunity to do a border run or apply for a new Visa locally.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vadim said:

Could anyone confirm if you're allowed to apply for 60 days covid extension in Chonburi Immigration in Pattaya, please?

That depends on how/when you entered Thailand (Visa type) and if/why you cannot return home.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, Faz said:

That depends on how/when you entered Thailand (Visa type) and if/why you cannot return home.

Faz, what are the chances the Covid extension program will be extended past March 25? I got my (first) 60-day Covid extension end of February, which means I have to make plans for late April. I'm watching the developments in KL, Singapore and Cambodia at the same time.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:53 PM, Leo said:

Faz, what are the chances the Covid extension program will be extended past March 25?

None, other than for those who can provide a valid reason for why they cannot return home. Options are to obtain a new Visa locally, or apply for 1 year extensions of stay based on retirement or Thai spouse.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 8:15 AM, Faz said:

None, other than for those who can provide a valid reason for why they cannot return home. Options are to obtain a new Visa locally, or apply for 1 year extensions of stay based on retirement or Thai spouse.

Faz, it's reported that the Covid extension got extended to May 24. My first Covid extension runs out on April 29, should I take my chances and apply for a second one next week? Or it would be deemed too early? I don't want to apply at the last minute and be faced with a possible denial and a 7-day grace period.

The other question would be, is Pattaya immigration as "receptive" as Chaeng Wattana? My experience at Chaeng Wattana is that if you have all your papers in order and you are polite, you do get extensions.

47 minutes ago, Leo said:

Faz, it's reported that the Covid extension got extended to May 24. My first Covid extension runs out on April 29, should I take my chances and apply for a second one next week? Or it would be deemed too early? I don't want to apply at the last minute and be faced with a possible denial and a 7-day grace period.

Nothing official from Immigration, but elsewhere unconfirmed reports state it's been pushed back to May 24th based on a 'leaked' document.

The (reported) document states Immigration officials will be stricter when approving the extensions to avoid foreigners staying in Thailand for the (quote) 'wrong purpose'. It will be at the discretion of the Immigration office, or officer.
Even before the previous March 25th deadline, I read elsewhere of Immigration requesting 'Embassy letters' to further extend their stay in Thailand beyond that date. It's a mixed bag of reports at the moment.

58 minutes ago, Leo said:

The other question would be, is Pattaya immigration as "receptive" as Chaeng Wattana? My experience at Chaeng Wattana is that if you have all your papers in order and you are polite, you do get extensions.

Sorry, I can't answer that question.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:53 PM, Leo said:

I'm watching the developments in KL, Singapore and Cambodia at the same time.

Is there a place on this forum to hear about the re-opening of East Asian countries ?
Do you have news on KL, Singapore and Cambodia?

12 hours ago, gavi said:

Is there a place on this forum to hear about the re-opening of East Asian countries ?

Not specifics no. KL, Singapore and Cambodia re open by air as is Vietnam I believe.
It was reported local land borders were due to open imminently - a month ago!
Google entry requirements for the above.

13 hours ago, gavi said:

For the fully vaccinated:

Cambodia: no quarantine, no tests, just the visa

Malaysia: no quarantine, PCR test pre-departure, Antigen/Rapid test on arrival

Singapore:  no quarantine, PCR/Antigen test pre-departure, no test on arrival

I wonder how long Thailand will keep its entry requirements in light of its direct competitors opening up.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, Faz said:

Nothing official from Immigration, but elsewhere unconfirmed reports state it's been pushed back to May 24th based on a 'leaked' document.

The (reported) document states Immigration officials will be stricter when approving the extensions to avoid foreigners staying in Thailand for the (quote) 'wrong purpose'. It will be at the discretion of the Immigration office, or officer.
Even before the previous March 25th deadline, I read elsewhere of Immigration requesting 'Embassy letters' to further extend their stay in Thailand beyond that date. It's a mixed bag of reports at the moment.

Gotta love Thai immigration. All along since last year they seem to have no sense that people plan trips to, and in, SE Asia. This is about an extension to a program that has expired. You would think that they would make an official announcement before the expiration, instead of having a "leaked" document circulate.

I gave Thailand lots of kudos the past couple of years for the repeated Covid extensions, when other countries gave foreign nationals exactly one, back in mid-2020 (here's looking at you scoundrel China). But there is a certain amateur attitude lately.

The agent I used to make my covid extension in early Feb the easiest thing I've ever done (but not cheap) is pushing covid extension services hard now. Price dropped by a fourth.

I was thinking about another but the days leasing up to the cutoff they weren't sure yet. In the meantime I hopped over to Vietnam.