Tobacco Kills; The end of Smoking?

Shade_Wilder

The NZ government is introducing a fascinating law to put an end to smoking, and knowing how governments work, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't copied widely.

The basic idea (see news articles) is to outlaw the selling of cigarettes' to young people and progressively raise the age limit so that eventually no one can legally buy them. 

"Under proposed new legislation, the legal age of 18 for buying tobacco will be raised progressively, Associate Health Minister Dr. Ayesha Verrall said at a news conference Thursday. "We want to make sure young people never start smoking so we will make it an offence to sell or supply smoked tobacco products to new cohorts of youth," she said. "People aged 14 when the law comes into effect will never be able to legally purchase tobacco." (CNN)

This is an elegant idea; it deals with the issue of stopping young people from getting hooked, and it has an outlet for the older addicts.

If this approach works, and while there will be bumps in the road I think it could, it is a given that other governments will enact similar laws; governments the world over copy each other far, far more than people realize.

I think it is an inspired idea that has the potential to rid the world of those cancer-causing death-sticks and stick it to those heartless corporate bastards who profit off of human misery and addiction (why yes, I am a reformed smoker; how did you know?).

What say you, TT?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/09/asia/new-zealand-outlaw-smoking-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/09/new-zealand-to-ban-smoking-for-next-generation-in-bid-to-outlaw-habit-by-2025

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Typically, of a government who likes to babysit their citizens at every step of the way. Introduce some information when children are young, in schools, what smoking does to you and no one will start. But then again, the smoking lobby pushes money to the government to keep such information out of the schools. So who is the culprit? 

Good smoking is the most disgusting, selfish, inconsiderate addiction/habit out there

Wish it was banned everywhere but little areas where people could go and smoke

So many smokers walk down the street, not caring who they blow their disgusting smoke into, when done just throw it on the ground.

The vast majority of smokers are inconsiderate assholes

I know I'm abrupt and I hope I offended all of you   😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Good smoking is the most disgusting, selfish, inconsiderate addiction/habit out there

So many smokers walk down the street, not caring who they blow their disgusting smoke into, when done just throw it on the ground.

I think that you will find that they don't give a toss what you think!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I feel the same about the drinkers of alcohol, disgusting blumbing sots who think they can't have a good time unless they have a drink in hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I totally agree with every word you say, but what I find really disconcerting is when a government is supposed to be working for us are actually dictating to us what we can or cannot do. Educating people is the answer not running a mother knows best attitude, Jacinda Adern has to be the biggest control freak in all of all civilised countries, she is creating a two tier society in NZ, pretty much forcing their citizens to take the covid vaccines or you won't be part of our society, she is some scary woman.😕

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

I feel the same about the drinkers of alcohol, disgusting blumbing sots who think they can't have a good time unless they have a drink in hand.

When drinkers start to squirt beer in your face you may then have a case to complain.😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

There will always be people who will find whatever other people do to enjoy themselves, to be disgusting.
Thank God these people are a minority.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"People aged 14 when the law comes into effect will never be able to legally purchase tobacco."

I find it entertaining that somewhere in Auckland in 2072, a 64 year old will be hitting up his 65 year old mate to go and buy smokes for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This authoritatian attempt just shows how evil the left is. Already, 90% plus of NZ adults are non smokers. The smoking percentage of the population has been steadily decreasing. Yet that is not enough. Gotta plant the boot squarely on the neck of those holdouts!

It is easy to legislate, but hard to persuade. Do you really want men with guns going shop to shop and enforcing compliance? Throwing people in cages for illegal possession? Ironic in the days where cannabis products are being legalized world over.

• Like 5

Think the drug problem is more in need of urgent attention than someone smoking.

Someone is using these tons of drugs, cocaine, ice, meth, etc that flood countries and possibly those same users are driving cars, buses and trains, operating machinery and in a lot of instances endangering life, someone who is smoking sensibly is only endangering their own life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Think the drug problem is more in need of urgent attention than someone smoking.

Someone is using these tons of drugs, cocaine, ice, meth, etc that flood countries and possibly those same users are driving cars, buses and trains, operating machinery and in a lot of instances endangering life, someone who is smoking sensibly is only endangering their own life.

Smoking "sensibly"........

Spoken like a true smoker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm an ex smoker long term who never understood why people moaned about cigarette smokers as I couldn't smell the smoke, didn't bother me etc etc. Now I know why. Long thought government should ban the supply of tobacco, rather than trying to tax users out of existence. In any case the cost of medical care for smokers far exceeds the tax revenue income. As someone mentioned above, likely will become the norm over time to ban tobacco. Be interesting to see how government respond if and when there is finally an indisputable proven linkage between marijuana smoking and cancer.

There is such a huge industry with alcohol, which causes immense damage to society, so can't see any bans coming in non Muslim majority countries.

Edited by PBS
  • Haha 1

i am no smoker and i hate to be subjected to it second hand,  but banning it is idiotic. it will just force it underground and into the hands of criminals. Do these politicians learn nothing from history. Its a stupid idea. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Smoking "sensibly"........

Spoken like a true smoker.

I have not smoked in a house or a car for almost 30 years. I dont let my kids stand anywhere near me when I am smoking outside. I constantly tell them to never start smoking. I do not smoke in restaurants. Even where it is allowed.

In the pubs over here in Thailand I do smoke. If you dont like it go to one of the non smoking pubs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I have not smoked in a house or a car for almost 30 years. I dont let my kids stand anywhere near me when I am smoking outside. I constantly tell them to never start smoking. I do not smoke in restaurants. Even where it is allowed.

In the pubs over here in Thailand I do smoke. If you dont like it go to one of the non smoking pubs.

They should all be no smoking, its not optional. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree wholeheartedly with Pinetree and BeerIsLife...Yes make it illegal and the playground of criminals  like all the other drugs pure stupidity.  More violent crimes, more cartels making millions off an addiction. Keeps a whole new army of jackboot enforcers in a  secure job for a few generations. No sign that the drug wars have been successful so cant see this being a great option.  I dont pretend to know the answer (unlike some) but am against useless laws that lead to an increase in crimes ..more violence , more desperate people trying to make it big, more stealing to make enough for a packet of smokes...etc   etc     

..Im old enough to remember when society ruled that smoking was cool as, and all the influencers said so!   Never heard , disgusting, gross, horrible back then.. how quick to judge and how fickle are we?    

from a non smoker who also thinks its antisocial and unhealthy but whats next?........beer ???  :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

"If you don't like it, mind your arse on the door....."

Quality response from someone who remains a selfish and ignorant smoker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chaimai said:

"If you don't like it, mind your arse on the door....."

Quality response from someone who remains a selfish and ignorant smoker.

Quality response from a sanctimonious snowflake.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Quality response from a sanctimonious snowflake.  

"sanctimonious".......because I don't support a habit that you are too weak to give up...LOL!  😂

• Haha 1

Just now, Chaimai said:

"sanctimonious".......because I don't support a habit that you are too weak to give up...LOL!  😂

Oh toughen up buttercup. Its only cigarette smoke. 

As an ex-smoker, I fully agree with @Marc26, "...smoking is the most disgusting, selfish, inconsiderate addiction/habit out there.". To be honest, I think he is being too nice, but...

I find the reaction of the smokers and/or their enablers to this proposed law both fascinating and flabbergasting:

"...government who likes to babysit their citizens at every step of the way...", "...but what I find really disconcerting is when a government is supposed to be working for us are actually dictating to us what we can or cannot do...", "...This authoritatian attempt just shows how evil the left is...", "...banning it is idiotic...". (a selection of quotes from the posts above)

Last I looked, NZ was a Democratic country with fair elections; is it not the duty of a government to act in the best interest of society? Is abetting smoking the best interest of society? Hint; 'No'.

More importantly, everyone above is intelligent enough to use a computer, put together a few sentences, is able to join a discussion forum and is likely able to afford a computer and Internet connection at home; in sum, reasonably well-educated people who can think. And, reasonably well-educated people who can think know just how bad smoking is for personal and societal health, yet many seem willing to fight to the death (probably from lung cancer) over something that when used properly, kills you.

This is not logical. Even for the addicts (again, I used to be one).

I could understand the anger if the plan was to immediately take away your cigarettes (remember; I was an addict too), but this plan would allow you to continue to smoke until you die (again, probably from lung cancer).

Is there no good here?

Finally, would you encourage your friends, family, children (!) to become addicted to a substance which we know would do tremendous harm to their health? I was a smoker for a very long time, and I never went that far. Do you go that far?

Tobacco, when used as directed, is harmful to health. Really harmful. Period.

This seems like a reasonable method of phasing tobacco out of society.

Is this the proverbial hill that you want to die (again, probably from lung cancer) on?

Wow.

I get annoyed by thai guys smoking when they ride their motorcyles and hate it when they are at red lights as well. But I really don't care if they or anyone smokes as long as it isn't put into my face in public.

• Like 1