Tobacco Kills; The end of Smoking?

Shade_Wilder

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So you admit to being adversarial to smokers for no other reason than them being smokers while being in a public space.

Pretty sure there is a law covering that.

Huh?

I am adversarial to them because their disgusting(and harmful) smoke comes into my personal space and I can't breath.

And most buildings have signs posted not to smoke near the entrance, but smokers being the inconsiderate assholes that they are ignore that, and make us non-addicts walk into their smoke,

Oh and you shouldn't need a sign to realize you shouldn't be an inconsiderate asshole and smoke where people have to walk through it, but we know that is too much to ask inconsiderate smokers......

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Huh?

I am adversarial to them because their disgusting(and harmful) smoke comes into my personal space and I can't breath.

And most buildings have signs posted not to smoke near the entrance, but smokers being the inconsiderate assholes that they are ignore that, and make us non-addicts walk into their smoke,

Oh and you shouldn't need a sign to realize you shouldn't be an inconsiderate asshole and smoke where people have to walk through it, but we know that is too much to ask inconsiderate smokers......

Toughen up buttercup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Why do I not?

I have not smoked in a house or car for nearly 30 years. Long before it was any kind of requirement.

I do not smoke in restaurants even in areas where it is OK to do so. 

I have said this a couple of times.

No. What you have decided is that you, personally, do not like me even though we have never met based on the fact I smoke cigarettes. You have made several poorly disguised barbed comments towards me in this very thread.

I however have a far more tolerant view of people and try not to judge them on their choices.

This makes me a better person.

IMO you do not come across in the same way as you view yourself.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

..... I have often been walking on the street, and some one passing me, not even smoking, has given off a strong smell of tobacco from a mere 5 yards away. My usual thoughts when this occurs is, "Do I really smell like that"?  Cringe.

This is true, yet walk down a road like Soi Buakhaw where 50 ICE cars and motorcycles pass by you every minute and trust me, you are breathing so much more toxic substances in the air than you ever will with passing by a smoker and receiving some second hand smoke.  I know the world is trying to go EV, but when it comes to public health (like a vaccine) governments should be focusing on Internal combustion engine exhaust as a priority, not individual smokers IMO.  

To me it is criminal for anyone to drive somewhere when they can walk, or own a personal ICE vehicle if they are retired.  We need to take responsibility for the Planet and climate change seriously.  93% of people own automobiles or motorcycles or other fossil fuel burning vehicles.  Only 19% of people smoke cigarettes  or cigars.  Which is worse?  Pretty easy answer

Car exhaust contains carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, particulate matter, and cancer-causing toxins such as benzene. Breathing these fumes isn’t healthy for anyone, but children are particularly vulnerable to its harms.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

This is true, yet walk down a road like Soi Buakhaw where 50 ICE cars and motorcycles pass by you every minute and trust me, you are breathing so much more toxic substances in the air than you ever will with passing by a smoker and receiving some second hand smoke.  I know the world is trying to go EV, but when it comes to public health (like a vaccine) governments should be focusing on Internal combustion engine exhaust as a priority, not individual smokers IMO.  

To me it is criminal for anyone to drive somewhere when they can walk, or own a personal ICE vehicle if they are retired.  We need to take responsibility for the Planet and climate change seriously.  93% of people own automobiles or motorcycles or other fossil fuel burning vehicles.  Only 19% of people smoke cigarettes  or cigars.  Which is worse?  Pretty easy answer

Car exhaust contains carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, particulate matter, and cancer-causing toxins such as benzene. Breathing these fumes isn’t healthy for anyone, but children are particularly vulnerable to its harms.  

I get that there are other, or even worse threats than tobacco smoke. But that doesn't mean that we should do nothing about it, and I say that as a smoker.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 9:11 PM, Rain said:

Bad diets from bad food systems are more harmful to long term/short term health. 

Yet, never hear any such concern. 

Why is that?

Because consequences not inflicted on others. Passive Smoking causes Lung Cancer and extremely anti - social. Eating Burger & Coke damages only the eater, if we overlook the downed rain forests to farm Red Meat…….

On 12/10/2021 at 6:05 PM, JohninDublin said:

I've never been able to understand this. Cannabis is often used as an additive to tobacco. Unless it is being claimed that Cannabis neutralises the carcinogens in tobacco, then the only real question in my view is, "Does Cannabis exacerbate the pre-existing problem"?

The opposite, apprently. Extract and link:

More recently, scientists reported that THC and other cannabinoids such as CBD slow growth and/or cause death in certain types of cancer cells growing in lab dishes. Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce spread of some forms of cancer.

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/treatment-types/complementary-and-integrative-medicine/marijuana-and-cancer.html

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:16 PM, Rookiescot said:

You smell alcohol on someone's breath and you want them arrested?

And persuc prosecuted! 🤣

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 9:11 PM, Rain said:

Bad diets from bad food systems are more harmful to long term/short term health. 

Yet, never hear any such concern. 

Why is that?

Here? Because it would be off topic.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Because consequences not inflicted on others. Passive Smoking causes Lung Cancer and extremely anti - social. Eating Burger & Coke damages only the eater, if we overlook the downed rain forests to farm Red Meat…….

Downed rain forests to farm Red Meat? Must be them thar redwood trees?

4 minutes ago, Fester said:

Downed rain forests to farm Red Meat? Must be them thar redwood trees?

Amazon a case in point 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

The NZ government is introducing a fascinating law to put an end to smoking, and knowing how governments work, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't copied widely.

The basic idea (see news articles) is to outlaw the selling of cigarettes' to young people and progressively raise the age limit so that eventually no one can legally buy them. 

"Under proposed new legislation, the legal age of 18 for buying tobacco will be raised progressively, Associate Health Minister Dr. Ayesha Verrall said at a news conference Thursday. "We want to make sure young people never start smoking so we will make it an offence to sell or supply smoked tobacco products to new cohorts of youth," she said. "People aged 14 when the law comes into effect will never be able to legally purchase tobacco." (CNN)

This is an elegant idea; it deals with the issue of stopping young people from getting hooked, and it has an outlet for the older addicts.

If this approach works, and while there will be bumps in the road I think it could, it is a given that other governments will enact similar laws; governments the world over copy each other far, far more than people realize.

I think it is an inspired idea that has the potential to rid the world of those cancer-causing death-sticks and stick it to those heartless corporate bastards who profit off of human misery and addiction (why yes, I am a reformed smoker; how did you know?).

What say you, TT?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/09/asia/new-zealand-outlaw-smoking-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/09/new-zealand-to-ban-smoking-for-next-generation-in-bid-to-outlaw-habit-by-2025

A noble effort, I hope it succeeds. 

On 12/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Marc26 said:

Nope it's not enough

Need to eradicate your disgusting, selfish habit

Anything less than a total ban of your inconsiderate weak addiction is unacceptable 

Now that's a Snowflake response 555

• Like 1