Deadly Farangs and the capitulation to Covid

Max-Howl

Over the last month I have observed the rapid capitulation to Covid, right from fellow citizens to the PM.

The PM, according to a headline, recently expressed how we "have to learn to live with it". Fellow citizens, are expressing resignation by no longer caring to put on a mask, foreigners in particular.

Keeping in mind that the purpose of a mask is to protect others from yourself, in the event that you are unknowingly carrying this deadly virus, how would we view lets say ethnic groups in i.e. Europe, who would not care about masking, if everybody else was masking? Its not so hard to imagine the reaction it could cause from media, politicians etc.

Walking the streets of Pattaya and Jomtien, the situation is that only one of ten foreigners are masking with cover of both mouth and nose. No matter if its outdoor or in 7/11. Sadly, the tendency is spreading to the locals as well. The indifference is spreading like a wildfire, and I wonder how we got to this point, that we care so little about killing the covid and so much about the freedom to kill each other?

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Max-Howl said:

Over the last month I have observed the rapid capitulation to Covid, right from fellow citizens to the PM.

The PM, according to a headline, recently expressed how we "have to learn to live with it". Fellow citizens, are expressing resignation by no longer caring to put on a mask, foreigners in particular.

Keeping in mind that the purpose of a mask is to protect others from yourself, in the event that you are unknowingly carrying this deadly virus, how would we view lets say ethnic groups in i.e. Europe, who would not care about masking, if everybody else was masking? Its not so hard to imagine the reaction it could cause from media, politicians etc.

Walking the streets of Pattaya and Jomtien, the situation is that only one of ten foreigners are masking with cover of both mouth and nose. No matter if its outdoor or in 7/11. Sadly, the tendency is spreading to the locals as well. The indifference is spreading like a wildfire, and I wonder how we got to this point, that we care so little about killing the covid and so much about the freedom to kill each other?

I'm glad I'm not where you are then...

Here in CM there aren't too many foreigners now and there's a handful that don't wear a mask. Always the same ones. They're not the cleverest, as they wonder why you avoid them like the plaque.

I see many dozens of Thai each day, however, without mask. I avoid those too.

And when I'm sitting for a meal or coffee (which here we could still do), and see people entering somewhere and ignore the thermometer and sit down while coughing and sneezing, the owner has the option to act or I leave (and don't return). Some have learned that the Thai way of ignoring all problems does not make financial sense if it means losing a regular customer.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Max-Howl said:

Maybe you should move to another location in Thailand where the Expats are a more amenable about the community rules and behaviours that you agree with.  If they behave like this about masks, I am sure there are other personal habits that they do but are not as visible, that you do not agree with.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Such sensible and factual advice - and so important to get this message out there.

Summary:  You are going to get Covid one day - we all are.  It is impossible to stop it, and the experts are now realising that 70% or even 80% vaccination rates will not create herd immunity - Covid has evolved beyond that and it is here forever - just like the Spanish Flu and the Hong Kong flu and others. 

Therefore you have a simple question to ask yourself:  'Do I want to get vaccinated to reduce the risk of getting very ill or even dying from Covid - or do I want to take it on as I am now'.

My decision is to take the vaccines - they are not guaranteed and they are not perfect - but my choice is to take the risk of vaccine issues, rather than the risk of Covid issues.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Here in CM there aren't too many foreigners now and there's a handful that don't wear a mask. Always the same ones. They're not the cleverest, as they wonder why you avoid them like the plaque.

I often walk around empty streets with all the shops closed are don't often see anyone else and I dont go within five meters of anyone else , always avoid other people . 

Just how necessary is it to wear a mask  ?

• Like 2

Just now, Fluke said:

I often walk around empty streets with all the shops closed are don't often see anyone else and I dont go within five meters of anyone else , always avoid other people . 

Just how necessary is it to wear a mask  ?

At 5 meters no need, unless you sneeze or someone else sneezes in your direction. When you don't have an accident, a helmet is not necessary either. Until you have the accident...

Better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Still have Spanish Flu?

Yep - it and Hong Kong flu are now an integral part of the strains of Influenza A and B that come and go - they build or mutate themselves in many ways - when they are 'successful' with a new strain it becomes an annual or seasonal flu, but every now and then they mutate so much that they create a pandemic. 

The 'history' has been re-written - so now they dont say the country name.  But the Spanish Flu was the 1918 Pandemic (H1N1 virus) which later mutated and became the 1957-1958 Pandemic (H2N2 virus) (Asian Flu) which later mutated and became the 1968 Pandemic (H3N2 virus) (Hong Kong Flu) which mutated 'backwards' and became the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic (H1N1pdm09 virus) (Swine Flu). There were many other mutations - millions? (we dont know them all) - but it is only when they mutate into something that succeeds and infects and kills lots of people that we become aware of them. They never go away - they just keep mutating until they 'succeed' - each mutation builds upon those before it.  That is why the Asian or Hong Kong flu was more deadly to younger people than the older people, when it is usually the other way around - old people had the immunities from the Spanish Flu still in them. 

Covid19 is a new version of Covid1 or SARS in 2002, and then came MERS in 2012. It is not an Influenza virus - it is completely different and a 'new game'.  In 2002 SARS was the first such virus type to cause deaths on a large scale (12-15% CFR). Then came MERS which also killed a lot of people (20-30% CFR). But those first 2 were not highly infectious, and were stopped before they became a serious pandemic. That is why WHO CDC etc all panicked about Covid19 - which is technically named SARS-CoV-2 - they thought it was a highly infectious version of SARS and going to spread worldwide and kill 12-15% of people who catch it.  

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

At 5 meters no need, unless you sneeze or someone else sneezes in your direction. When you don't have an accident, a helmet is not necessary either. Until you have the accident...

Better safe than sorry.

The mask does very little to stop you catching Covid from an infected person. The mask slows the spread of the virus from someone that has Covid (unknowingly I would hope) when they talk or cough/sneeze. If you want protection then you have to wear what the nurses do - mask plus face shield and tight googles. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Max-Howl said:

Walking the streets of Pattaya and Jomtien, the situation is that only one of ten foreigners are masking with cover of both mouth and nose

Well it’s the streets. You’re less likely to be exposed outdoors. 

If you’re offended by their own personal actions, then go with the Los Angeles or New York route: take pictures of them and report them to the police or other snitch hotline

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

The mask does very little to stop you catching Covid from an infected person. The mask slows the spread of the virus from someone that has Covid (unknowingly I would hope) when they talk or cough/sneeze. If you want protection then you have to wear what the nurses do - mask plus face shield and tight googles. 

Actually they do help. Not 100%, but you need to inhale a considerable viral-load to get infected and the virus mostly travels in droplets. While the size of an individual virus particle could pass through a mask, the droplets are big enough to be caught by the mask.

Face shield is the same.

Unless you wear something completely safe like a gas-mask, some will particles will always find your nose or mouth. It is about limiting the risk, not about being 100% failsafe,

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Actually they do help. Not 100%, but you need to inhale a considerable viral-load to get infected and the virus mostly travels in droplets. While the size of an individual virus particle could pass through a mask, the droplets are big enough to be caught by the mask.

Face shield is the same.

Unless you wear something completely safe like a gas-mask, some will particles will always find your nose or mouth. It is about limiting the risk, not about being 100% failsafe,

That is true - nothing is 100% - except maybe one of these:

Editorial use only. No book cover usage.Mandatory Credit: Photo by Peter Sorel/Warner Bros/Punch Prods/Kopelson/Kobal/Shutterstock (5884515p)Dustin Hoffman, Rene RussoOutbreak - 1995Director: Wolfgang PetersenWarner Bros/Punch Productions/Kopelson EntertainmentUSAScene StillAlerte

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

That is true - nothing is 100% - except maybe one of these:

Editorial use only. No book cover usage.Mandatory Credit: Photo by Peter Sorel/Warner Bros/Punch Prods/Kopelson/Kobal/Shutterstock (5884515p)Dustin Hoffman, Rene RussoOutbreak - 1995Director: Wolfgang PetersenWarner Bros/Punch Productions/Kopelson EntertainmentUSAScene StillAlerte

Yes, and that's how my friends recognise me from a mile away... 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Transam said:

I just knew you would know all about that stuff, was it to do with your employment...?

You can ask your wife that. What Thai people think about Pattaya farang. I think Farang think same. You know.

i never go Pattaya before. For what? 

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

You can ask your wife that. What Thai people think about Pattaya farang. I think Farang think same. You know.

i never go Pattaya before. For what? 

Well if you stay in Phuket why would you go to Pattaya ?  Twice as many low lifes in Phuket, Thai and foreigners  many of whom who pretend they are better.

Just now, Transam said:

So, you have never been to Pattaya, yet you know everything about it....Hmmmm......😆

As they say "ignorance is bliss" or should that be " denial is a falsehood" ?

3 minutes ago, Transam said:

So, you have never been to Pattaya, yet you know everything about it....Hmmmm......😆

You have been told to  leave her alone and to stop being abusive to her 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

You have been told to  leave her alone and to stop being abusive to her 

It was a question by @Transamand there was no abuse in his reply and since when has the right to reply been denied on this forum ? unless that is you know something the rest of us don't ?

Just now, gummy said:

It was a question by @Transamand there was no abuse in his reply and since when has the right to reply been denied on this forum ? unless that is you know something the rest of us don't ?

Suggesting that a Female is a prostitute is indeed being abusive and previously he has been told to stop arguing with her and he is trying to cause an argument 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Transam said:

🤣..........Your grey cells are doing overtime....🤣

Now who is trying to start an argument..?

Seems like Fluke is intending to bicker again, now why could that be I wonder ?

Just now, gummy said:

Seems like Fluke is intending to bicker again, now why could that be I wonder ?

I am trying to stop bickering from happening .

Trying to stop threads getting locked and bans .

He began the bickering  by suggesting that she was a prostitute . 

We have been told to stop