New Covid19 variant C.1.2

Bob20

Variant C.1.2 was discovered in late July in S.Africa and was expected to be of low transmissibility, but is now already found in a dozen countries and may be the most transmissible yet.

The paper is up for peer review and the topic was reported in numerous newspapers around the world a few hours ago.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210826/Potential-variant-of-interest-in-South-Africa-assigned-to-the-PANGO-lineage-C12.aspx

• Like 2

From what I understand, there's a few nasty mutated strains slowly integrating into the unsuspecting populations from the last couple of months - never hear about it throughout conventional sources. 

It's been hinted that one of these variants has the possibility of already gathered vaccine resistant form.....as all the successive mutations might acquire after another generation.

Mother Nature does have a way of playing with us. 

....and we probably have it coming - well, some groups do anyway.

Edited by Smithydog
Disguised Obscenity word replaced

Variant of variant . Same like variant of religion. Has believers wait to know when to die ! Nature most time eliminates weak first . The strong who survive is sure to be better?

4 hours ago, Rain said:

From what I understand, there's a few nasty mutated strains slowly integrating into the unsuspecting populations from the last couple of months - never hear about it throughout conventional sources. 

It's been hinted that one of these variants has the possibility of already gathered vaccine resistant form.....as all the successive mutations might acquire after another generation.

One of the problems with having large vaccinated and unvaccinated populations is that the unvaxxed population works as an incubator and the vaxxed population works as a test bed. This combination, over time, will select for transmissibility and vaccine "tolerance". I've only recently seen this narrative showing up in reporting. The thing left out of the story is the rate of mutation (as opposed to the rate of variant development). It's insanely high for RNA viruses. The vast majority of those mutations don't make it for whatever reason, but given the stupid-large numbers even one success, witness Alpha, Delta, and Lambda, can affect the entire path of the pandemic and ruin all of our well-laid plans.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JamesE said:

One of the problems with having large vaccinated and unvaccinated populations is that the unvaxxed population works as an incubator and the vaxxed population works as a test bed. This combination, over time, will select for transmissibility and vaccine "tolerance". I've only recently seen this narrative showing up in reporting. The thing left out of the story is the rate of mutation (as opposed to the rate of variant development). It's insanely high for RNA viruses. The vast majority of those mutations don't make it for whatever reason, but given the stupid-large numbers even one success, witness Alpha, Delta, and Lambda, can affect the entire path of the pandemic and ruin all of our well-laid plans.

Thank you for this post....I think.  I went searching for "rate of mutation" and now my head aches...I need to remember that when I do not understand something that I may not have the prerequisite knowledge to comprehend it....

• Thanks 1

Many prominent virologists have indicated that vaccinating a virus too quickly will cause multiple mutations and this is proving to be the case.

13 hours ago, JamesE said:

One of the problems with having large vaccinated and unvaccinated populations is that the unvaxxed population works as an incubator and the vaxxed population works as a test bed. 

Being vaccinated doesnt stop you from catching , spreading and incubating  the virus , it just means you will have lesser symptoms and there's less chance of dying 

19 hours ago, Rain said:

Mother Nature does have a way of playing with us. 

....and we probably have it coming - well, some groups do anyway.

Yes, from cave to lab to oops. Seems that reeling this virus down to a safe controllable level is like trying to chase a fart in the wind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1