Tourism operators hopeful after Phuket sandbox mandatory stay reduced to 7 days

Thaiger

Tourism operators in Phuket and other southern destinations are feeling more hopeful after a reduction in the minimum stay required as part of the Phuket sandbox. Yesterday, the Centre for Economic Situation Administration approved a proposal to set the minimum stay at 7 days, down from the previous 14. After this period, sandbox tourists are free to travel to other “sealed route” destinations, such as Koh Samui, Koh Phang Ngan, and Koh Tao in Surat Thani, or Phi Phi and Railay Beach in Krabi, among others. Yuthasak Supasorn from the Tourism Authority of Thailand says that effective yesterday, foreign tourists […]

The post Tourism operators hopeful after Phuket sandbox mandatory stay reduced to 7 days appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Except it’s not a real reduction since you still have to spend another 7 days somewhere else. It’s only a small improvement if one of those other locations is somewhere you want to be stuck for another 7 days. Do they really think this is going to drive large numbers?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Except it’s not a real reduction since you still have to spend another 7 days somewhere else. It’s only a small improvement if one of those other locations is somewhere you want to be stuck for another 7 days. Do they really think this is going to drive large numbers?

Yes.

However much you want them to fail.

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yes.

However much you want them to fail.

Then they are idiots.

I don’t want them to fail, exactly the opposite. Otherwise it’s going to take even longer for me to get back to Thailand. Try again if you wish. 

• Haha 1

You can't polish this turd enough to make it look like gold.

"However, they will still require a Certificate of Entry for each of their planned routes while in Thailand."

So if you decide to do two other places after your 7-day prison stay in Phuket, you have to have a CoE for each one of them.

And of course, this being Thailand, you have to have these CoEs pre-approved and provide exactly the same documentation for all of them.

Brain dead...and beyond.   That's the Thai government.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

3 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

That's the Thai government.

I like taking it as this. It sounds better, with a more truthful meaning.

• Cool 1

I'm from the UK and for me its a 13 -14 hour flight just to get to BKK never mind the time it takes for me to Travel down to Phuket or any other Island I have worked hard for my well deserved Holiday. Why would I travel that distance and at a hefty price tag to sit in my hotel room until i am allowed outside I cannot have a beer in a bar or have any entertainment and I have to bring my Secretary with me to fill out all the forms i need for my 2 weeks fun filled holiday. Sorry not for this UK man Mr TAT spokesman and not many from the UK would be on my plane. 

• Like 3

Right now, I think most international tourists wouldn't want to step outside Phuket! I don't think now is the right time to be moving around. Perhaps sandboxes could be set up in other safe spaces.

• Like 1

This idea could have some legs potentially if there is some joined up thinking. ( I know, Thai's, joined up thinking big ask).

However, if tourists were allowed to fly into Bangkok, and then on to Phuket, could open up much cheaper travel options. Easy to organise all initial international arrivals to arrive at one terminal. Then an internal sealed route to the Phuket departure terminal.

If your coming for 10 nights,  might even cut out a PCR test. 

Would be even better to cut the COE out, and the additional insurance requirements. 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Right now, I think most international tourists wouldn't want to step outside Phuket! I don't think now is the right time to be moving around. Perhaps sandboxes could be set up in other safe spaces.

Antarctica, maybe . . . now that would be safe!

50 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

This idea could have some legs potentially if there is some joined up thinking. ( I know, Thai's, joined up thinking big ask).

However, if tourists were allowed to fly into Bangkok, and then on to Phuket, could open up much cheaper travel options. Easy to organise all initial international arrivals to arrive at one terminal. Then an internal sealed route to the Phuket departure terminal.

If your coming for 10 nights,  might even cut out a PCR test. 

Would be even better to cut the COE out, and the additional insurance requirements. 

You'd like to travel in one plane with people (read possible carriers) from many different countries??!!! You seem to have forgotten what happened to Stephanie from Germany

• Cool 1

If they want more people, why don't they allowed double vaccinated travellers with PCRs from countries other than the 69 allowed currently?

As things stand I'm not eligible. 😢

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brownie said:

You'd like to travel in one plane with people (read possible carriers) from many different countries??!!! You seem to have forgotten what happened to Stephanie from Germany

@BIGGLESIt does look like Brownie may have a strong point re that onward flight. Well?

36 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

If they want more people, why don't they allowed double vaccinated travellers with PCRs from countries other than the 69 allowed currently?

I guess the 'countries allowed' line has to be drawn somewhere, so there are always going to be winners and losers.

52 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Not at all.

All holiday makers must get here by air.

You can only mitigate the risks, not eliminate them.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Poor Stephanie, as you describe her was, I believe an early victim of a scam. No way, would I have changed my hotel without competent authority saying so. A hotel receptionist is not competent authority. So, no I did not forget Stephanie.🙂

46 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You would be allowed if you were from a rich high risk country (as per Thai Ministry of Public Health country grouping list of 16 August) like USA or UK.

Thai MoH - 16 August 2021.pdf

4 hours ago, MrStretch said:

They'd have you believe it's possible to pick it up by the clean end and shake it though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

I guess the 'countries allowed' line has to be drawn somewhere, so there are always going to be winners and losers.

But it does seem that safety is not one of the factors in deciding where the line is drawn. UK and US both fine with high levels of infection. 

I'm based in a country with cases under a 1000 a day, very stable infection level, and high levels of vaccination. So it's hard to see the logic, but hey. TIT. Thailand's loss ultimately.

• Like 1