The level of civility on these forums has reached a new level.

OneAngryJew

I'm seeing a lot of discussion here with very little contention and a high level of civility.  The difference between here and the former ThaiVisa is as vast a chasm as it is from end-to-end at the Grand Canyon. 

Many of the same people who are from there are coming here, only to find a much more hospitable expat forum. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

I'm seeing a lot of discussion here with very little contention and a high level of civility.  The difference between here and the former ThaiVisa is as vast a chasm as it is from end-to-end at the Grand Canyon. 

Many of the same people who are from there are coming here, only to find a much more hospitable expat forum. 

Largely true, but some of them are bringing their old insulting/abusive habits with them.  They need to be 're-educated' but NOT by reporting/banning them but by insisting to keep responses civil.  A lively discussion and the occasional snark to let off some steam is no problem and even accepted by the very reasonable TT moderators.  We - i.e. the TT Forum members that appreciate this civil heaven of free speech - need to take a stance when newbies cross the civility line and make clear that such behavior is not appreciated here.  I have already seen a couple of examples of such a united stance by those that want to keep the moral bar high and ensure that visiting the TT Forum is a pleasant positive experience and not a dive in a cesspool of negative emotions.

32 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Largely true, but some of them are bringing their old insulting/abusive habits with them.  They need to be 're-educated' but NOT by reporting/banning them but by insisting to keep responses civil.  A lively discussion and the occasional snark to let off some steam is no problem and even accepted by the very reasonable TT moderators.  We - i.e. the TT Forum members that appreciate this civil heaven of free speech - need to take a stance when newbies cross the civility line and make clear that such behavior is not appreciated here.  I have already seen a couple of examples of such a united stance by those that want to keep the moral bar high and ensure that visiting the TT Forum is a pleasant positive experience and not a dive in a cesspool of negative emotions.

I love a good argument, but it has to be intelligent.

I'm making use of the ignore function.  When I see one of my ignored posters, I barely see them when I peruse the discussion.  So far I have ignored two, not because of anything other than they were unable to post at an intelligent level and they were clearly wasting my time.

Edited by OneAngryJew

I think its because you don’t see news articles about US politics. For a forum dedicated to Thailand it was weird to see the posts that gained the biggest reaction were news articles about the US. 

No joke it just turned into all out illogical war from people claiming that “Trump is worse than Osama Bin Laden” or “You’re a racist” crap…

• Like 3

Mutual respect and keeping it civil is a good thing .

But a good discussion needs different opinions .

When emotions set in , it might become difficult for some to keep it at a civil level . But that can be learned .

Anyway , a little confrontation sometimes is needed to keep it interesting ... but people insulting others on public forums only prove that they cannot control themselves ...

• Like 4

The concept of civility in a debate is not new. It was just more common prior to the days of televising “debate” from parliaments. (Not a good debate example for the kiddies!)

Resorting to swearing or unfunny taunts was seen as a weakness in your argument. You had run out of anything else worthwhile to say in support of your argument, or to rebut the opposition.

I appreciate it when members are civil, yet spirited in their debate and also enjoy the funny taunts, as long as they don't cause offence or escalate. I also admire the succinctness of posts compared with my often, too wordy style.

• Like 2