Return ticket needed with Non O visa?

I did get a non-O Visa with ME last year,  and expect to come back to Thailand in August for a few months.  

Do I need a return ticket booked to go back to the USA in case I'm asked?

Not sure how long I might stay and sometimes find good deals on 1 way tickets.  Rather not book the return ahead of time  

After many trips to Thailand over the years I was asked once in Boston at the AA counter to see my return ticket...and that was before I had the retirement visa.

When you have a valid Visa to enter Thailand, be it a tourist Visa or a Non Imm O Visa, there is no need for a return ticket.  Although some Embassies/Consulates require that you provide a return flight reservation when buying the Visa in your home-country. 

It is only when you plan to enter Thailand Visa Exempt (without a Visa) that the airline at your departure might require that you show an outward bound ticket reservation from Thailand to an international destination on a date prior than the expiry date of the 30-day Permission to stay you will receive from Thai border-immigration on arrival.

The easiest way to meet that requirement is to buy an onward-ticket reservation on-line the evening before or morning of your departure flight by a ticket-reservation organisation like onwardticket.com , e.g. a flight reservation for a flight from Bangkok to any international destination say 1 week before expiry of the 30-day Permission to stay you will receive on arrival.

Note that these are genuine flight reservations and your ticket reservation will be sent to you on-line semi-immediately when ordering the ticket when paying by credit-card.  But the reservation will be automatically cancelled within 48 or 72 hours - hence the need to order them close before your departure.  Such onward-flight ticket reservation only costs approx 12 US $.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

But the reservation will be automatically cancelled within 48 or 72 hours - hence the need to order them close before your departure.

They usually offer a 'Buy Now, Receive Later' option which allows you to purchase it in advance and then program it to be activated on your chosen date (typically the day before you fly out).

• Like 1

Sphinx has it right.  Having a visa means you don't need to show an outward bound flight.

If asked at Immigration just say that you haven't decided how long to stay, yet.