Thursday Covid Update: High of 20,920 new cases and 160 deaths

Thaiger

Just now, Stardust said:

Thats why they shut down that article from an Economist and expert

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke

So what has happened since your earlier posts when you stated a "Thai Economist" ? Did you suddenly realise that under this government a Thai Economist is as rare as rocking horse shit and amended it to "an Economist and expert" ??

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

So what has happened since your earlier posts when you stated a "Thai Economist" ? Did you suddenly realise that under this government a Thai Economist is as rare as rocking horse shit and amended it to "an Economist and expert" ??

He is a reliable one and well known. And there was also an interesting point he touched about the compensations and programs they anounced a month ago but no pay out til now so for what they are waiting? Waiting til the lockdown is over or til the next lockdown? By the way he is experienced and wrote before about the 97 crash and all the circumstances.

• Like 1

Just now, Stardust said:

He is a reliable one and well known. And there was also an interesting point he touched about the compensations and programs they anounced a month ago but no pay out til now so for what they are waiting? Waiting til the lockdown is over or til the next lockdown? By the way he is experienced and wrote before about the 97 crash and all the circumstances.

Are you referring to the "Economist" or the "Thai economist" now ?

1 hour ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Respectfully, I don't understand, are you saying I somehow have made covid worse?

Anyways, judging by your avatar you ride bikes. So do I. Been all over Thailand, multiple trackdays at Bira circuit with no corner workers or an ambulance on standby and have come out unscathed but statistically speaking it is very high risk. If you are worried about injury or death from covid in Thailand you should NEVER get on a motorcycle again.

You must be the life & soul of the parties at your house.?. Yes i have been happily riding in thailand for 4yrs now and still very much involved with motorcycles,also only a 2 hr drive from Buriram race circuit and i always worry about injury,but that will never stop me riding.?

Edited by stuhan

25 minutes ago, gummy said:

Are you referring to the "Economist" or the "Thai economist" now ?

Chartchai Parasuk, Phd. I already referred a few times to him with links?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AussieBob said:

It could be that. Or it could be that we have has so few numbers because of the lockdowns. Same thing applies in Taiwan and Singapore.  And dont forget, although the Chinese numbers are dubious, China did succeed in stopping the spread because they introduced draconian lockdowns.  

There is a big difference between draconian lockdowns with enforcement, and a competent crew behind them, and what we are seeing here. Although they announced the setup of 88 roadblocks in Bangkok, to prevent people from fleeing, and spreading this thing all over the nation, it never happened. Several people I have spoken with have gone back and forth between Bangkok, and wherever they want, and not a single stop. This is insanity, and sheer negligence, malfeasance, and sabotage. 

• Like 2

Just now, dmacarelli said:

There is a big difference between draconian lockdowns with enforcement, and a competent crew behind them, and what we are seeing here. Although they announced the setup of 88 roadblocks in Bangkok, to prevent people from fleeing, and spreading this thing all over the nation, it never happened. Several people I have spoken with have gone back and forth between Bangkok, and wherever they want, and not a single stop. This is insanity, and sheer negligence, malfeasance, and sabotage. 

And because of them not enforcing anything one has to assume that the spread of covid was determined as a necessary element in stopping the student and subsequent protests from accelerating around the country and in larger numbers.

23 minutes ago, stuhan said:

You must be the life & soul of the parties at your house.?. Yes i have been happily riding in thailand for 4yrs now and still very much involved with motorcycles,also only a 2 hr drive from Buriram race circuit and i always worry about injury,but that will never stop me riding.?

But take care I lost a few friends with mortorcycle accidents in Thailand and Laos. And all kicked from the side from trucks or cars so they no chance to avoid the accidents. I myself a fan of motorcycles got kick off the bike from the side and stopped riding because I have children. 4 years is not a long time here and never compare riding with riding in western countries! They often not look left or right and kick you of the bike. Thailand is listed as the mist dangereous roads in the world and most motorcycle accidents.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pascal said:

maybe because these farmer are not educated enough to understand the whole picture of what is going on, this is simple of that. for sure they won't come to this forum to to say some insanity as you just did. give a chance to your brain man. it is annoying to read all this stupidity about conspiracy, fear spreading, dictature and so on. you guys do not see more far that the tip of your nose and in most of case have just selfish behaviour. fact are there, there is a bug running all around the world, it is highly infectious and it is killing.......how many more dead do you wanna see before to say " yes finally it is not not just a flu" .......i get a bad wish ...... go meet up  with some infected peoples, catch the virus, and then come back to let us know how it is .....will you?  you know what i bet my life you won t do that.

So, you are using scientific evidence to advocate a farmer wearing a mask in an outside field, when he is working with only his father, that he shares home with, and spends all day with, without a mask? And that is smart? And somehow that is selfish? What am I missing here?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

So true - they have locked down Thailand but they have done far less than Australia is slowing the spread.  But having said that, if they didnt lockdown then the numbers would be even higher and get there even quicker.  It is a balance I think - and that is very hard to get right in Thailand.  Here in Aust people get welfare and lots of other Govt support like housing - that is not the case in Thailand. Lockdowns here in Aust work against the covid - that is a fact.  But lockdowns here do not do the harm to individuals that it does in Thailand and the lockdowns 'leak' a lot more in Thailand - those are also facts.  In Aust a total lockdown is both acceptable and achievable - in Thailand that is not the case.  That is why the Thai Govt is so keen to open things back up, despite the increasing case numbers. But of course they are incompetent and have stuffed things up completely.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stonker said:

Found it - way back on page 2!

Not knocking you for it, @dmacarelli, but it's a perfect example of how seeing something but having little or no knowledge of it but judging it by your own standards and experience can lead to completely the wrong conclusion.

What you saw an image of isn't "insane" or "scared" but routine life in the countryside which almost certainly has nothing whatever to do Covid and if you lived in Isan you'd know.

People wear wooly balaclavas here in the fields in the height of summer, or wrap their heads in an old T-shirt, or wear a floppy hat with a built-in "veil".  It's normal!

It's got nothing to do with Covid, but it's to protect themselves from the sun to stop them getting burnt. Now they can get masks free, in a lot cases, so a face mask just serves the the same purpose but it's probably easier to breathe through and cooler than a thick knitted balaclava or a few layers of grubby T-shirt. 

They may well be "scared" of Covid, but far from this being a "good indication" of it, it's almost certainly got nothing to do with it at all.

Driving a car alone with a mask on? Probably nothing more than being too lazy to take it off when someone got out.  Masks aren't something that unusual here, as they are in the West, and there are plenty of reasons people wear them other than Covid, from staying "white", to covering up a nose job, to hiding herpes, to being a devout Buddhist.

Masks, or some form of "face covering"  just aren't a big deal or that unusual up here.

Totally wrong. They do wear the protection over their heads when they farm. We agree on that. This was a surgeons mask. And it was fear of covid, without any regard to the facts, that was driving this fear.

I have no issues with people taking precautions. But, dumb is dumb, and senseless is senseless, no matter what you want to call it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

But take care I lost a few friends with mortorcycle accidents in Thailand and Laos. And all kicked from the side from trucks or cars so they no chance to avoid the accidents. I myself a fan of motorcycles got kick off the bike from the side and stopped riding because I have children. 4 years is not a long time here and never compare riding with riding in western countries! They often not look left or right and kick you of the bike. Thailand is listed as the mist dangereous roads in the world and most motorcycle accidents.

Thanks stardust,I agree 100%,been riding for 50 yrs and never seen such bad driving  and stupid mistakes, before  coming here. Most of my yrs here were riding around chon buri inc pattaya. You can be a very experienced rider,aware of everything around you only to have some blind driver mow you down. My thai wife hates when i go for a ride,so l don't ride much now or drive for that matter.?

20 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Are you suggesting that there's a regional/national game that the locals play of kicking the foreigner off his bike so that he gets killed? Or do some foreigners unfortunately succumb to the known risks of riding or driving the same was as the locals do?

No denying that the motorbike deaths and injuries statistics here are shocking but my brother-in-law was drunk and alone on a deserted dirt track through the rice paddy at 3 a.m. when he crashed. Of course it was the water landing that saved his life but his amulets got an honorable mention in dispatches.

Back on topic: Thailand's race against Malaysia for the ASEAN Covid-19 Gold medal looks pretty good right now.

Edited by cacadordemim

35 minutes ago, cacadordemim said:

Are you suggesting that there's a regional/national game that the locals play of kicking the foreigner off his bike so that he gets killed? Or do some foreigners unfortunately succumb to the known risks of riding or driving the same was as the locals do?

No denying that the motorbike deaths and injuries statistics here are shocking but my brother-in-law was drunk and alone on a deserted dirt track through the rice paddy at 3 a.m. when he crashed. Of course it was the water landing that saved his life but his amulets got an honorable mention in dispatches.

Back on topic: Thailand's race against Malaysia for the ASEAN Covid-19 Gold medal looks pretty good right now.

As I worked in almost in all Continents of the world, the worst driver or who cannot not drive streets or off road are Thais in my list of experience. We lost collegues because of that and it happened often when they provided a car and driver I forced them to stop and told them I drive or let me out and I will call my company to send somebody to bring me a car or pick me up. Especially in remote areas in raining season and we had to go off road. I often took not a plane and came with my own car and lost a day because of that and if could not get a rental off road car. I experienced too much they cannot drive and even I explained them to take care because the conditions are daily different because of heavy rains I got stuck with them and even they should know and driving there many years. So I avoided if possible to sit in any cars with their driver or stopped them to drive myself. So by the Company I was sent to South middle and North America, Africa, Asia and South east Asia and the worst drivers I experienced in my list are the Thai drivers. 

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

As I worked in almost in all Continents of the world, the worst driver or who cannot not drive streets or off road are Thais in my list of experience. We lost collegues because of that and it happened often when they provided a car and driver I forced them to stop and told them I drive or let me out and I will call my company to send somebody to bring me a car or pick me up. Especially in remote areas in raining season and we had to go off road. I often took not a plane and came with my own car and lost a day because of that and if could not get a rental off road car. I experienced too much they cannot drive and even I explained them to take care because the conditions are daily different because of heavy rains I got stuck with them and even they should know and driving there many years. So I avoided if possible to sit in any cars with their driver or stopped them to drive myself. So by the Company I was sent to South middle and North America, Africa, Asia and South east Asia and the worst drivers I experienced in my list are the Thai drivers. 

Oh I forgot Europe in my list but in my worldwide experience with drivers they are the best in my list and experience.

6 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

What I said was that there was no evidence that the variants were more FATAL but is more contagious. 

Stop trying to make up things and lecture me. 

You don’t speak for anyone else. 

I am against all the fear mongering going on here and in the media, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should increase your comprehension skills. 

Stop trying to make up things? Ok I asked you why have Hospital figures slowed down and I asked you why the numbers have slowed down, yet you failed to answer these questions instead you went on the defensive immediately saying i was trying to lecture you. I also informed you not lectured you that we know and accept we can still catch Covid and we can pass it on, again you never answered this.  I also said the Delta variant was the worst out of all the variants so far for its speed of Transmission, I did not mention the fatality that its causing you said that not me. If you want to debate fine but answer the questions you are asked without jumping on the defensive and getting arsey.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vlad said:

Stop trying to make up things? Ok I asked you why have Hospital figures slowed down and I asked you why the numbers have slowed down, yet you failed to answer these questions instead you went on the defensive immediately saying i was trying to lecture you. I also informed you not lectured you that we know and accept we can still catch Covid and we can pass it on, again you never answered this.  I also said the Delta variant was the worst out of all the variants so far for its speed of Transmission, I did not mention the fatality that its causing you said that not me. If you want to debate fine but answer the questions you are asked without jumping on the defensive and getting arsey.

Calm down comrade. I never said anything other than it is not proving more fatal. 

I never denied its transmissibility is greater than the previous ones. 

1 hour ago, Stardust said:
1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Expand  

Oh I forgot Europe in my list but in my worldwide experience with drivers they are the best in my list and experience.

At the risk of going further off topic, what on earth has all that to do with your earlier claims of Thai motorbike 'kick drivers' killing foreigners?

PS: You need to use more comma's (,) and periods (.) and don't you go blaming your keyboard either.

46 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Calm down comrade. I never said anything other than it is not proving more fatal. 

I never denied its transmissibility is greater than the previous ones. 

Yes you did you said fatality rate ie Death's. 

2 minutes ago, vlad said:

Yes you did you said fatality rate ie Death's. 

That is what I said comrade, that delta has not shown to be more fatal. More cases yes. More fatal no. 

Do I need to say that any more plainly or do you understand? 

24 minutes ago, cacadordemim said:

At the risk of going further off topic, what on earth has all that to do with your earlier claims of Thai motorbike 'kick drivers' killing foreigners?

PS: You need to use more comma's (,) and periods (.) and don't you go blaming your keyboard either.

Sorry english is not my native languange and was writing with my cell phone and not on an keyboard and before it had nothing to do with kick off foreigner it was about driving in Thailand! Maybe you should folliw better how that started that topic then you could understood it!

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Sorry english is not my native languange and was writing with my cell phone and not on an keyboard and before it had nothing to do with kick off foreigner it was about driving in Thailand! Maybe you should folliw better how that started that topic then you could understood it!

Spot on Stardust. There is  that "other" forum available to those who want to pretend that they are grammar policeman and if anyone can not follow your posts purely because of the odd punctuation/spelling mistake etc then really they must be a bit of short of the grey matter

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Spot on Stardust. There is  that "other" forum available to those who want to pretend that they are grammar policeman and if anyone can not follow your posts purely because of the odd punctuation/spelling mistake etc then really they must be a bit of short of the grey matter

Amen to that.

12 minutes ago, Stardust said:

By the way it is amazing how the native english speakers often complain about others english and if you ask them how many languanges they can speak, read and write you find out none only english. My Children and me speak, read and write in 5 languanges but sure in my native languange I am a bit better.