News Forum - Swiss scandal sparks crackdown on unruly farangs in Thailand

Thaiger

The scandal involving a Swiss man assaulting a Thai doctor in Phuket prompted authorities to initiate a massive crackdown on illegal foreigners and farangs behaving badly in Thailand. In total, nearly 30 foreigners were arrested during the past weeks. Following the physical assault on a Thai doctor outside the luxury villa of a Swiss man, … …

The story Swiss scandal sparks crackdown on unruly farangs in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

With the exception of the Australian, not much of a haul. On any given night there is much worse, and it involves Thais.  🫠

• Like 2

Thai society is nothing, if not reactionary.

All this "crackdown" is for looks.  Obviously, the cops haven't been looking too closely for these people to continue their activities until some face saving is needed on the part of the authorities.  While I doubt that brown envelopes have changed hands in a majority of these cases, it would appear the Boys in Brown are quite adept at looking the other way, as long as farang are spending money.

But when one does something reprehensible, and it becomes viral, then the BiB swing into action and publicize how "well" they are going their jobs.

For the moment.

• Like 1

Well...it is similar to the sheperd who disturb and let the sheep run around in the middle of the night, mainly to get more sheep droppings to the land as fertilizer. Once there are enough droppings, then the sheperd will stop his action. 

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The scandal involving a Swiss man assaulting a Thai doctor in Phuket prompted authorities to initiate a massive crackdown on illegal foreigners and farangs behaving badly in Thailand.

Shame they don't do their job ALL the time but only when they need to 'save face'.

• Like 3

Southern Thailand has become a magnet for international crime syndicates on the back of its lackadaisical approach to law enforcement. Criminal elements from Australia, in form of Motorcycle gangs have set up their operations in places like Pattaya and Phuket, because they know they won’t attract same scrutiny from their activities as they would back home. It’s not confined to Australian expats either. The migration of such organisations has become all the more urgent, with amendments to criminal  statutes, on laws of association. You reap what you sew.

• Like 2

GOOD!

Throw the lot out including visa runners, digital nomads and all those that are using upfront Thais to own businesses, own farms and illegally own properties in their Thai wives names.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, perceblue said:

.... and illegally own properties in their Thai wives names.

Does that mean you think I should be shown the border because I bought my family a new house, and it's in my wife's name?

• Like 1

Was going to go to Thailand for the month of April. But canceled. I have some Swiss in my family tree.

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2024 at 11:57 AM, Thaiger said:

The scandal involving a Swiss man assaulting a Thai doctor in Phuket prompted authorities to initiate a massive crackdown on illegal foreigners and farangs behaving badly in Thailand. In total, nearly 30 foreigners were arrested during the past weeks. Following the physical assault on a Thai doctor outside the luxury villa of a Swiss man, … …

The story Swiss scandal sparks crackdown on unruly farangs in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Good Job Thai Police

How embarrassing it must be to come to a country as lovely as Thailand and get kicked out because your'e stupid and arrogant.   

It is rather frightening, this Thai xenophobia. Also here in the south, when a tourist is murdered, the locals and police always accuse Myanmar workers!!!!

13 hours ago, BigDave said:

How embarrassing it must be to come to a country as lovely as Thailand and get kicked out because your'e stupid and arrogant.   

Are you really that ignorant about Thais society?

On 3/8/2024 at 12:25 PM, Vigo said:

With the exception of the Australian, not much of a haul. On any given night there is much worse, and it involves Thais.  🫠

In any self-respecting, well-functioning constitutional state, the procedure assigned to this Swiss citizen would have no legal scope whatsoever. Deported from the country because you are arrogant and stupid and probably punched someone with a flip-flop? A Minister of the Interior who ignores Thai law and procedures and plays himself as a judge?

RudiA, Welcome to Thailand.

By your own admission, Thailand isn't a "self-respecting, well-functioning constitutional state".

Must be time to leave.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that the activities described do violate Thai law. Whenever there is a violation of law a prosecution is perfectly possible. When you are an expat you cannot work the margins of the law without significant risk. If you run that risk then you know the score. It's reasonable that Thai citizens look at such cases with concern and distaste. It is the same in my home country. No country wants to import crime regardless of it being minor or serious. 

Part of the problem is many non-Thais move here because they are not wanted in their home countries. So they come here because of bad behavior at home, or cost of living at home is too high as they can not jobs. No one will hire them or they do not work. Their bad behavior continues in Thailand.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RedBlue said:

Part of the problem is many non-Thais move here because they are not wanted in their home countries. So they come here because of bad behavior at home, or cost of living at home is too high as they can not jobs. No one will hire them or they do not work. Their bad behavior continues in Thailand.

I think the biggest problem is so many expats finally think they are "special " when they move to Thailand when they never were at home 

So they think they above the Thais

In many cases, even thinking their wife is less than