***New regulation*** limited entries per calendar year on visa exemption

Thai_Law

Guys, I am posting this as I have seen a lot of conflicting information online. When entering Thailand on visa exemption, it is normally been  2 times per calendar year by land and unlimited by air. That may have now changed and its  confusing, especially on the UK Thai Embassy website where they seem to contradict themselves with info on the top and middle. 

Currently, the Thai Embassy websites are suggesting that you can only enter on visa exemption 2 times per calendar year by air, land or sea. Our TLP members are reporting that some immigration officers have been enforcing this and is in some cases telling travelers to get a tourist visa, single or multiple entry from the Thai Embassy. Immigration seems to be currently enforcing this new regulation at their own discretion. Please find attached screenshots and links from the US and UK Thai embassy websites. Anything else you read online may be outdated. Further, there is a website Thai embassy dot com. This website is not an official Thai government website and is not currently up to date. This website domain is owned by Siam Legal and not the Thai government. Thai Embassies have their own websites. There is not one general website for every Thai Embassy. So don't get fooled. 

Again, Immigration has the right to enforce this at their discretion, but due to these posts, If you want to use visa exemption more than 2 times in a calendar year, you may want to get the tourist visa instead from the Thai Embassy. If you decide not to, be prepared to show a return flight, proof of travel funds and proof of accommodation if asked. 

Screen shots and links attached, which are very unclear and not widely posted on all Thai Embassy websites in the world. Typical of MOFA.

https://thaiembdc.org/visaexemption/

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/exemp-visa

IMG_6578.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

This is an example of the US embassy in Thailand relaying MOFA's announcement regarding this. Read this and let's be done with it. It is MOFA's official position currently. Why? Because we know. My office is in touch with MOFA all the time as we need to be up to date on all these issues for our members. Secondly, because the US embassy in Thailand still keeps this memo on their website. In light of this, we always recommend if possible to get the appropriate visa if you want to be a long term tourist, and if you need to enter multiple times on visa exemption because you have no choice, we always recommend to enter by land and use an agency, as they make arrangements with land border immigration. If you are entering on visa exemption multiple times in one calendar year, you are more likely to be refused entry by air.  Like I said many times, some will be okay and some won't. Here is the announcement and it is still valid and current today. The point of my original post was there is a lot of confusion and uncertanty on this topic and there are things you can do to minimize your risk of being refused entry if you enter multiple times on visa exemption.  

"U.S. citizens are reminded that Thailand immigration laws require visitors to remain in the proper visa status. U.S. citizen tourists traveling to Thailand are eligible to enter Thailand without a visa and stay for 30 days under the Thai visa exemption policy if they are able to show an onward/return ticket and possess a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond their date of entry into Thailand.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs has informed us that Thai Immigration will enforce existing foreign entry regulations and step up efforts to prevent abuse of the 30-day visa exemption policy for tourism granted to some foreigners, including U.S. citizens. Thai immigration authorities will review carefully travelers who have received permission to stay for 30 days through the visa exemption policy, and who subsequently seek to reenter Thailand repeatedly for an additional 30 days under the same program. If immigration officials perceive that individuals are entering Thailand to reside for an extended time or indefinitely, rather than seeking entry for tourism, such individuals may be denied re-entry. If so, they will be referred to a Royal Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to apply for a regular Thai visa before seeking to enter Thailand again. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry."

Link: https://th.usembassy.gov/thai-immigrations-enforcement-thai-visa-exemption-policy/

This memo is circulated to foreign embassies in Bangkok by MOFA in Thailand and is currently active today. It is in force currently to prevent people from using the visa exemption scheme to stay long term in Thailand, instead of getting a proper visa. End of story. 

Now you asked me to show you someone who was refused entry. I can't show you an example from our member database, as it is confidential. However, we have many examples of refused entry cases whether they had a return ticket or didn't have.  What I can do is provide you this example from a previous Thaiger forum post. it matches the memo I have just educated you on. The OP was very lucky and was given a pass but was interrogated at the airport and was told he would not be allowed in again on visa exemption. Oh no, why is the immigration officer not following the rules of MOFA? Why why? On the contrary, he is. He is following the previously mentioned  memo by me above. Here is the post from the Thaiger.

I know what some may think now. He was treated this way because he may not have had a return flight. Not accurate. The officer said he did not believe the OP was a tourist because of his travel history. Bingo. One of the reasons I previously stated for being refused entry on visa exemption. Regardless of how many visa exempt entires you have on your record. This example is based on the OP's travel history alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mamachigawa said:

More rubbish

Don't worry. Everything will be ok. Breathe lol. Then go for walk in Sukumvit. Things will look a lot better. 🤩

Not affect me maybe relatives

Interesting they are always promoting toutism at the same time make it more diffucult 

9 minutes ago, TLP said:

Don't worry. Everything will be ok. Breathe lol. Then go for walk in Sukumvit. Things will look a lot better. 🤩

1 minute ago, Mamachigawa said:

Not affect me maybe relatives

Interesting they are always promoting toutism at the same time make it more diffucult 

Show them my post and they should be fine if they follow my advice. 

I am facing this problem with a visa run planned for Singapore in 2 weeks. Upon return it would be my 3rd visa exempt this year. 

I don't think I can get a tourist visa in Singapore because the rules seem to indicate that you have to be a resident. I guess I could apply for an e-visa from the USA...?

But has anyone experienced immigration difficulties with a 3rd visa exemption?

g

13 minutes ago, georgesch said:

I am facing this problem with a visa run planned for Singapore in 2 weeks. Upon return it would be my 3rd visa exempt this year. 

I don't think I can get a tourist visa in Singapore because the rules seem to indicate that you have to be a resident. I guess I could apply for an e-visa from the USA...?

But has anyone experienced immigration difficulties with a 3rd visa exemption?

g

You can do a single entry tourist visa in Laos or chance it using the advice I gave above. Cheers

Thanks for the reply, can you recommend any agents for the visa run to Laos? 

And one more question - you indicate that upon 3rd visa exempt try the immigration police may ask for "be prepared to show a return flight, proof of travel funds and proof of accommodation if asked. " Is that the downside? I have that info.

Thanks again, George

1 minute ago, georgesch said:

And one more question - you indicate that upon 3rd visa exempt try the immigration police may ask for "be prepared to show a return flight, proof of travel funds and proof of accommodation if asked. " Is that the downside? I have that info.

Thanks again, George

If you need more advice on this, you should consider signing up for TLP and we can help with a visa run. About your second question, the downside might be that you just have to show on for more of the three items or they could refuse you entry. However, you may just sail through with no issues at all. You won't know. Just be prepared.

1 hour ago, georgesch said:

Thanks again, George

I am feeling generous today lol. https://thaivisaservice.com/visa-application-bangkok-to-savannakhet

or call Claudio at 081 815 4803.

15 years +++ in business. Leaves from Tesco Lotus ON Nut in Bangkok. 

so this thread is stating there is a change of policy regarding visa exempt at airports, have there been any reports of anyone being refused entry trying a 3rd entry or having to face extra scrutiny,

London Thai embassy is well known for showing incorrect and having out of date info. and embassies are part of the MFA not immigration.

Edited by cockneyboy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cockneyboy said:

so this thread is stating there is a change of policy regarding visa exempt at airports, have there been any reports of anyone being refused entry trying a 3rd entry or having to face extra scrutiny,

London Thai embassy is well known for showing incorrect and having out of date info. and embassies are part of the MFA not immigration.

I have many reports. Just follow my advice on making sure you can prove you are a legitimate tourist and maybe getting the visa at the Thai embassy instead. You won't know if you will be questioned or not. Cheers