News Forum - Mpox outbreak in Thailand: 24 infected, one death reported

Thaiger

Mpox (formerly known as monkeypox) has claimed the life of a man in Thailand and infected an additional 24 people, as disclosed by the acting director-general of the Disease Control Department today. The affected individual was a 24 year old Thai male, who had been battling HIV for three years prior to contracting mpox. His … …

The story Mpox outbreak in Thailand: 24 infected, one death reported as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thailand has 30 days to contain this or else it will become the epicenter of a worldwide crisis. This  disease will be spread by the sex trade workers of Thailand and won't be restricted only to homosexuals. In Thailand, it is not unusual for males to be gay for pay and to have female prostitutes as "partners". Thailand needs to follow the containment protocols  asap, and this means inoculating people who have multiple sex partners and in tracking the infected. Last summer epicenter cities like Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, Miami etc. set up vaccination centers and were able to contain the disease and keep it from hurting the rest of the population.

6 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Thailand has 30 days to contain this or else it will become the epicenter of a worldwide crisis. This  disease will be spread by the sex trade workers of Thailand and won't be restricted only to homosexuals. In Thailand, it is not unusual for males to be gay for pay and to have female prostitutes as "partners". Thailand needs to follow the containment protocols  asap, and this means inoculating people who have multiple sex partners and in tracking the infected. Last summer epicenter cities like Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, Miami etc. set up vaccination centers and were able to contain the disease and keep it from hurting the rest of the population.

This was a concern in Pattaya a few months ago The Local Authorities went straight for the epicenter Flexx Nightclub never heard anything about it since. 

44 minutes ago, Vigo said:

nothing to do with "gay" - How does mpox spread?

Mpox can spread through:

direct skin to skin contact with rashes, blisters or sores on the skin

semen and other bodily fluids

contaminated objects, such as bedding or clothes

breathing in droplets breathed out by someone who has mpox, but this is rare.

8 hours ago, cowslip said:

Mpox can spread through:

I'll be demanding high standards of cleanliness during my weekly visit to Soi 6 tomorrow.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 23RD said:

I'll be demanding high standards of cleanliness during my weekly visit to Soi 6 tomorrow.

I imagine that they will be demanding it of you. rather than you of them. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I imagine that they will be demanding it of you. rather than you of them. 

Oh I'm always immaculately turned out Pinetree Bud. 

I think it is apparent that it has spread through out the country here and could become an epidemic for everyone if someone is infected. Can be as simple as someone leaning their open infected arms arms on table or bar and then someone else sitting in the same exact spot or even a sneeze. And the sad thing is the period of being transmissable to thers is a long time.

This is copied from WHO and it is actually no jiking matter if the case scenario is factual and on target.

Transmission

Person-to-person transmission of mpox can occur through direct contact with infectious skin or other lesions such as in the mouth or on genitals; this includes contact which is

• face-to-face (talking or breathing)
  • skin-to-skin (touching or vaginal/anal sex)
  • mouth-to-mouth (kissing)
  • mouth-to-skin contact (oral sex or kissing the skin)
  • respiratory droplets or short-range aerosols from prolonged close contact

The virus then enters the body through broken skin, mucosal surfaces (e g oral, pharyngeal, ocular, genital, anorectal), or via the respiratory tract. Mpox can spread to other members of the household and to sex partners. People with multiple sexual partners are at higher risk.

Animal to human transmission of mpox occurs from infected animals to humans from bites or scratches, or during activities such as hunting, skinning, trapping, cooking, playing with carcasses, or eating animalsThe extent of viral circulation in animal populations is not entirely known and further studies are underway.

People can contract mpox from contaminated objects such as clothing or linens, through sharps injuries in health care, or in community setting such as tattoo parlours.

Signs and symptoms

Mpox causes signs and symptoms which usually begin within a week but can start 1–21 days after exposure. Symptoms typically last 2–4 weeks but may last longer in someone with a weakened immune system.

Common symptoms of mpox are:

• rash
  • fever
  • sore throat
  • headache
  • muscle aches
  • back pain
  • low energy
  • swollen lymph nodes. 

For some people, the first symptom of mpox is a rash, while others may have different symptoms first. 

The rash begins as a flat sore which develops into a blister filled with liquid and may be itchy or painful. As the rash heals, the lesions dry up, crust over and fall off. 

Some people may have one or a few skin lesions and others have hundreds or more. These can appear  anywhere on the body such as the:

• palms of hands and soles of feet
  • face, mouth and throat
  • groin and genital areas
  • anus.

Some people also have painful swelling of their rectum or pain and difficulty when peeing.

People with mpox are infectious and can pass the disease on to others until all sores have healed and a new layer of skin has formed. 

Children, pregnant people and people with weak immune systems are at risk for complications from mpox.

Typically for mpox, fever, muscle aches and sore throat appear first. The mpox rash begins on the face and spreads over the body, extending to the palms of the hands and soles of the feet and evolves over 2-4 weeks in stages – macules, papules, vesicles, pustules. Lesions dip in the centre before crusting over. Scabs then fall off. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is a classic feature of mpox. Some people can be infected without developing any symptoms.

In the context of the global outbreak of mpox which began in 2022 (caused mostly by Clade IIb virus), the illness begins differently in some people. In just over a half of cases, a rash may appear before or at the same time as other symptoms and does not always progress over the body. The first lesion can be in the groin, anus, or in or around the mouth.

People with mpox can become very sick. For example, the skin can become infected with bacteria leading to abscesses or serious skin damage. Other complications include pneumonia, corneal infection with loss of vision; pain or difficulty swallowing, vomiting and diarrhoea causing severe dehydration or malnutrition; sepsis (infection of the blood with a widespread inflammatory response in the body), inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), heart (myocarditis), rectum (proctitis), genital organs (balanitis) or urinary passages (urethritis), or death. Persons with immune suppression due to medication or medical conditions are at higher risk of serious illness and death due to mpox. People living with HIV that is not well-controlled or treated more often develop severe disease.

2 hours ago, 23RD said:

I get the impression you aren't clear on how the virus can be transmitted. But you'd still be high risk.

11 hours ago, cowslip said:

Mpox can spread through:

It's a gay thing, dude.  

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2022/09/22/gay-or-bisexual-men-express-concern-about-monkeypox-are-critical-of-governments-response/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9850259/#:~:text=Additionally%2C a different study revealed,with one or more partners.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/monkeypox-cases-reach-7500-us-99-cases-males

Just like HIV, yes, anyone can contract it, but it's the promiscuity and the nature of gay sexual activity that means it spreads like crazy in that population... and eventually on to everyone else.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cowslip said:

I get the impression you aren't clear on how the virus can be transmitted. But you'd still be high risk.

Oh I'm well aware about it cowslip Bud it was all over the local news a few months ago here in Pattaya. 

Gotta make sure you're wearing full IPE and carry out immediate decontamination drills straight afterwards. 

And give them a full visual inspection prior to the purchase 555555

It is more prevelant in the gay men community, but then if unleashed in the wrong place it is not disciminatory jumping for the folk in the wrong place at the wrong time. Everyone just needs to be aware and cautious. I am not going anywhere near anyone sneezing or with sores or walking bow legged down the street because their bum hurts from being a receptacle.

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am not going anywhere near anyone sneezing or with sores or walking bow legged down the street because their bum hurts from being a receptacle.

That sounds like Soi Buakhao every night HC Bud.

36 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Cowpat the expert on everything has spoken so all you deniers better take notice.  

So, as ever, you have no counter argument, just an ad hom reference to fried rice?

3 minutes ago, 23RD said:

That sounds like Soi Buakhao every night HC Bud.

Yeah and perhaps a certain soi and places next or near Patpong as well. One certainy needs to be careful a bit as it is spreading from that community to others.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Oh I'm well aware about it cowslip Bud it was all over the local news a few months ago here in Pattaya. 

Gotta make sure you're wearing full IPE and carry out immediate decontamination drills straight afterwards. 

And give them a full visual inspection prior to the purchase 555555

By this post it looks like you aren't and need to review your sources - just  'the media" is not very helpful.

59 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

It's a gay thing, dude.  

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2022/09/22/gay-or-bisexual-men-express-concern-about-monkeypox-are-critical-of-governments-response/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9850259/#:~:text=Additionally%2C a different study revealed,with one or more partners.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/monkeypox-cases-reach-7500-us-99-cases-males

Just like HIV, yes, anyone can contract it, but it's the promiscuity and the nature of gay sexual activity that means it spreads like crazy in that population... and eventually on to everyone else.

So tell me, how does a virus know if you are gay or not?

Do you seriously think if you aren't gay you are immune? 

Does homophobia grant you immunity from Mpox?  

Latent homosexuals had better beware

21 hours ago, cowslip said:

So tell me, how does a virus know if you are gay or not?

Do you seriously think if you aren't gay you are immune? 

Does homophobia grant you immunity from Mpox?  

Latent homosexuals had better beware

I'm taking this as mindless trolling because my post clearly addresses this -- "Just like HIV, yes, anyone can contract it, but it's the promiscuity and the nature of gay sexual activity that means it spreads like crazy in that population... and eventually on to everyone else."