News Forum - Twitter’s blue tick removal sparks concerns

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

So much for the crock "freedom of speech" all the right wingers were ridiculous tauting with Musk

I don’t use Twitter so why is Musk getting peeps upset with what he is doing?  There are so many sides with different versions as there are in many other topics.  I thought I read somewhere that he was trying to weed out the “bots” and only have actual humans on the platform.  But many other comments make it a political thing.  I also read about the “Twitter Files” here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_Files that were released late last year that the FBI was involved with previous Twitter management to suppression of certain views during the 2020 election, also the covid-19 pandemic, the Hunter Biden laptop subject, and some others so I guess that relates to your “crock “freedom of speech” comment. I’m not clear if your comment is blaming right wingers or Musk himself?  If people rely only on Twitter for their political views then the US is screwed, but I think is screwed already with all the damage that has been done by the politicians over the past several decades.  I tried to Google to find out what the actual facts are about the blue checks, but seems like all one can find is just opinions.  Some say it is a good idea and others not and possibly illegal but they don’t know if it is actually illegal.  Since I am not on Twitter and only hear some news about it reminds me of that US newspaper the National Enquirer about rich celebrities & politicians with ridiculous stories.  My ex-wife liked that news rag and I would tell her it was a waste of money.  I am only on FB social media and have friends on both views of the political isle who sometime get put into FB jail for posting something that violates rules.  I heard the freedom of speech argument with them.  They complain when they come back out of FB jail and post more of their views. Some relatives and friends post too much radical views for me so I just unfollow them, but are still FB friends/relatives with them. Many years before social media I never knew their political beliefs as we usually kept that stuff to ourselves. I only joined FB to keep in touch with my kids & grandkids while working overseas not discuss politics, but seems like it changed. If Twitter was or is violating people’s freedom of speech I personally would just get off their platform and use another, but then again I’m not a celebrity or politician so who would give a f…

8 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

I don’t use Twitter so why is Musk getting peeps upset with what he is doing?  There are so many sides with different versions as there are in many other topics.  I thought I read somewhere that he was trying to weed out the “bots” and only have actual humans on the platform.  But many other comments make it a political thing.  I also read about the “Twitter Files” here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_Files that were released late last year that the FBI was involved with previous Twitter management to suppression of certain views during the 2020 election, also the covid-19 pandemic, the Hunter Biden laptop subject, and some others so I guess that relates to your “crock “freedom of speech” comment. I’m not clear if your comment is blaming right wingers or Musk himself?  If people rely only on Twitter for their political views then the US is screwed, but I think is screwed already with all the damage that has been done by the politicians over the past several decades.  I tried to Google to find out what the actual facts are about the blue checks, but seems like all one can find is just opinions.  Some say it is a good idea and others not and possibly illegal but they don’t know if it is actually illegal.  Since I am not on Twitter and only hear some news about it reminds me of that US newspaper the National Enquirer about rich celebrities & politicians with ridiculous stories.  My ex-wife liked that news rag and I would tell her it was a waste of money.  I am only on FB social media and have friends on both views of the political isle who sometime get put into FB jail for posting something that violates rules.  I heard the freedom of speech argument with them.  They complain when they come back out of FB jail and post more of their views. Some relatives and friends post too much radical views for me so I just unfollow them, but are still FB friends/relatives with them. Many years before social media I never knew their political beliefs as we usually kept that stuff to ourselves. I only joined FB to keep in touch with my kids & grandkids while working overseas not discuss politics, but seems like it changed. If Twitter was or is violating people’s freedom of speech I personally would just get off their platform and use another, but then again I’m not a celebrity or politician so who would give a f…

Twitter is suppressing people in Turkey at the request of Erogdan and he's done it in India for Modi as well

Musk goes on and one about being and absolutist when it comes to Free Speech and all the right wingers lapped that up as they do every fake outrage

Then of course it comes to that Musk is, and always has been, full of shit 

But that was 10 outrages ago so thr right wingers have moved on to Bud Light and much more important outrages 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Twitter is suppressing people in Turkey at the request of Erogdan and he's done it in India for Modi as well

Musk goes on and one about being and absolutist when it comes to Free Speech and all the right wingers lapped that up as they do every fake outrage

Then of course it comes to that Musk is, and always has been, full of shit 

But that was 10 outrages ago so thr right wingers have moved on to Bud Light and much more important outrages 

I had no idea that Twitter was the main source of news worldwide.  I thought it was just a American thing, but guess I wasn’t paying attention.  I am really out of the loop these days, but I guess it is good as my stress level is quite low.  I’m guessing from your comments you are a Twitter user or used to be one and get your news from there.

I Googled the Turkey & Twitter news and just read the news online about Twitter being suppressed the day before yesterday’s election and also Googled the number of Twitter users in Turkey are around 21% of the population.  I can see that it would possibly have an impact on voters in Turkey if all the folks only information comes from Twitter instead of multiple sources.  Also, just read the Guardian’s news clip about a month ago, but India also did that in 2021 with Twitter, FB, and traditional media sources, which I am guessing old school news outlets.  India looks like just under 2% of their population that use Twitter, but I guess those are important people that not many read about on the platform due to a low percentage of users. Hopefully they are get their dissent information out to the voters another way.

From many of your previous comments and this one here it looks like you are not a fan of Elon.  Sometimes he does say some stupid s***, but who doesn’t or does something stupid like buying Twitter instead of just working on his Tesla & SpaceX companies.  Anyway can’t please everyone and looking online one can see you are not his only critic. I like his Tesla cars and the technology going into them as my former life before retirement was in the automotive industry.  SpaceX technology is interesting also.  Elon is just one of many in those two companies.

I don’t know anything about Bud Light and never liked it when I did live in the States.  Now I just usually drink a couple of Leos whenever I get together with some friends.  Any more cities being burnt down on any of those outrages you mentioned?  I haven’t read any US news so not sure and my kids haven’t told me anything.

3 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I had no idea that Twitter was the main source of news worldwide.  I thought it was just a American thing, but guess I wasn’t paying attention.  I am really out of the loop these days, but I guess it is good as my stress level is quite low.  I’m guessing from your comments you are a Twitter user or used to be one and get your news from there.

I Googled the Turkey & Twitter news and just read the news online about Twitter being suppressed the day before yesterday’s election and also Googled the number of Twitter users in Turkey are around 21% of the population.  I can see that it would possibly have an impact on voters in Turkey if all the folks only information comes from Twitter instead of multiple sources.  Also, just read the Guardian’s news clip about a month ago, but India also did that in 2021 with Twitter, FB, and traditional media sources, which I am guessing old school news outlets.  India looks like just under 2% of their population that use Twitter, but I guess those are important people that not many read about on the platform due to a low percentage of users. Hopefully they are get their dissent information out to the voters another way.

From many of your previous comments and this one here it looks like you are not a fan of Elon.  Sometimes he does say some stupid s***, but who doesn’t or does something stupid like buying Twitter instead of just working on his Tesla & SpaceX companies.  Anyway can’t please everyone and looking online one can see you are not his only critic. I like his Tesla cars and the technology going into them as my former life before retirement was in the automotive industry.  SpaceX technology is interesting also.  Elon is just one of many in those two companies.

I don’t know anything about Bud Light and never liked it when I did live in the States.  Now I just usually drink a couple of Leos whenever I get together with some friends.  Any more cities being burnt down on any of those outrages you mentioned?  I haven’t read any US news so not sure and my kids haven’t told me anything.

I am not a huge critic of Musk actually, I think he's full of shit a lot of times and definitely has an agenda

But I also think he has every right to do with Twitter what he wants, it's a private company

I hate Trump but don't think he should have been banned but also think Twitter had every right to ban him, it's a private company

So I am pretty down the middle on all that

Yes I consume news off of Twitter but I don't follow anyone

I am a Chang guy myself, but switch from Chang to Singha

My wife is a Leo girl for sure   :)

• Like 1

As I said before

Twitter is a news source for many

The old white guys may not understand that, but it is

Now having anyone buy a Blue Check causes real time confusion on what's real and what's not

On 4/21/2023 at 4:13 PM, Grumpish said:

Becoming a joke? Wasn't it always, long before Musk bought it. 

Science Twitter used to be very good. At least for paleontology and such. 

And this gesture shows Musk isn't the deranged elitist people think he is.