News Forum - Thailand to dissolve parliament today ahead of election

Thaiger

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has submitted a decree to dissolve Thailand’s parliament before the upcoming election in May. The dissolution will come into effect upon its publication in the Royal Gazette, which is expected today. The decree requires approval from Thailand’s King Maha Vajiralongkorn. At 9.20am today, government spokesperson Wissanu Krea-ngam said that the date …

The story Thailand to dissolve parliament today ahead of election as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Should dissolve them all in acid .... 🤣 jk

Respectfully KR, I don't actually believe that you are kidding. Nuff' said.

I find it is getting harder and harder to maintain any sense of idealism and/or hope for the Kingdom, and that saddens me greatly.

I first visited in the early nineties and witnessed what was an awe-inspiring slow climb into the proverbial Light. I won't bother with the political milestones of the new constitution or the near defeat of the forces of Darkness (if you were here, you already know and if you weren't, well, Google is your friend).

It has always been the... 'mood', the 'feeling'... the 'spirit' of the Thai people that has stuck out. I recall in the late 90s/early 2000s the 'vibe' of the place was truly wonderful; there was a sense of great things just around the corner and the confidence of the people was something to behold. It is also worth noting that others saw the same; look back at any newspaper or political journal and you'll see that the international community was expecting great things. Thailand was being mentioned as the logical successor of Japan, S Korea, Taiwan and the globe watched, fascinated by what was slowly evolving here. And, if one does look back, there was also a sense that Thailand was going to strike out a new path, one that other countries might follow.

No one thinks that anymore.

Nowadays I look around the Kingdom and see the 'wet-blanket of stultification' dampening and rotting future prospects. Moreover, I see a straightjacket of laws, rules, regulations and 'independent institutions' designed to ensure that the will of the Thai people doesn't escape. Finally, I see a willingness of some to use force to attain their desired goals, in the belief that they will never be held accountable.

Ultimately, that is the question now; will they ever be held accountable? In my first couple of decades in the area, those of a non-Democratic bent had an unassailable backstop which is lacking now. I saw in the paper a few days ago a quote that there would never be another coup, and yes I spat out my morning coffee in disbelief. However, as a student of history I am certain that another coup is being planned as I type (it is just logic in a land of 20+ coups in under a hundred years) but I am no longer certain that it could be 'successful' again; there comes a time when people just don't care anymore and Thailand has lost much of its moral leadership.

My fervent hope is an opposition landslide and a slow, general shifting of power throughout the Kingdom; call me conservative, but I think evolution is better than revolution. Unless that occurs, the youth will either rise up or leave, and no country survives indefinitely when the best and the brightest of the young lose faith.

I will enjoy my little corner and watch, ever hopeful but sadly very realistic. I witnessed great change in three SE Asian countries; S Korea, Indonesia and Timor Leste.

Is a fourth possible? Yup.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Respectfully KR, I don't actually believe that you are kidding. Nuff' said.

I find it is getting harder and harder to maintain any sense of idealism and/or hope for the Kingdom, and that saddens me greatly.

I first visited in the early nineties and witnessed what was an awe-inspiring slow climb into the proverbial Light. I won't bother with the political milestones of the new constitution or the near defeat of the forces of Darkness (if you were here, you already know and if you weren't, well, Google is your friend).

It has always been the... 'mood', the 'feeling'... the 'spirit' of the Thai people that has stuck out. I recall in the late 90s/early 2000s the 'vibe' of the place was truly wonderful; there was a sense of great things just around the corner and the confidence of the people was something to behold. It is also worth noting that others saw the same; look back at any newspaper or political journal and you'll see that the international community was expecting great things. Thailand was being mentioned as the logical successor of Japan, S Korea, Taiwan and the globe watched, fascinated by what was slowly evolving here. And, if one does look back, there was also a sense that Thailand was going to strike out a new path, one that other countries might follow.

No one thinks that anymore.

Nowadays I look around the Kingdom and see the 'wet-blanket of stultification' dampening and rotting future prospects. Moreover, I see a straightjacket of laws, rules, regulations and 'independent institutions' designed to ensure that the will of the Thai people doesn't escape. Finally, I see a willingness of some to use force to attain their desired goals, in the belief that they will never be held accountable.

Ultimately, that is the question now; will they ever be held accountable? In my first couple of decades in the area, those of a non-Democratic bent had an unassailable backstop which is lacking now. I saw in the paper a few days ago a quote that there would never be another coup, and yes I spat out my morning coffee in disbelief. However, as a student of history I am certain that another coup is being planned as I type (it is just logic in a land of 20+ coups in under a hundred years) but I am no longer certain that it could be 'successful' again; there comes a time when people just don't care anymore and Thailand has lost much of its moral leadership.

My fervent hope is an opposition landslide and a slow, general shifting of power throughout the Kingdom; call me conservative, but I think evolution is better than revolution. Unless that occurs, the youth will either rise up or leave, and no country survives indefinitely when the best and the brightest of the young lose faith.

I will enjoy my little corner and watch, ever hopeful but sadly very realistic. I witnessed great change in three SE Asian countries; S Korea, Indonesia and Timor Leste.

Is a fourth possible? Yup.

I guess what I’m hoping to see is the implementation of independent scrutineers to oversee the vote, to eliminate false claims of vote rigging. Subsequent to the election, I hope to see the people who voted for the losing party to accept the results. Failure to do so, serves the purposes of those plotting another coup. Democracy comes with responsibilities and if you won’t accept the results of the election, you get what you deserve.

Edited by Khunmark
  • Like 1

UPDATE Thailand‘s Parliament has been dissolved with immediate effect upon an announcement published today in the Royal Gazette. His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun of Thailand endorsed the dissolution of the House of Representatives, kicking off the election season. The Election Committee (EC) has tentatively set the date of the election for May 7, 2023, …

The story Thailand dissolves Parliament with immediate effect as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6 hours ago, Khunmark said:

I hope to see the people who voted for the losing party to accept the results.

Hopefully that will not be the joke of this thread.🙃

• Like 1